CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   GM: C8 vs. C7 Buyer: Much wealthier, younger, new to GM (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4488257-gm-c8-vs-c7-buyer-much-wealthier-younger-new-to-gm.html)

C82021 01-17-2021 09:29 AM

GM: C8 vs. C7 Buyer: Much wealthier, younger, new to GM

GM wanted to transform Corvette. Attract a new buyer, make it globally competitive. Remember when it was Corvette vs. Mustang GT? GM says now...NEW buyers choose between a Porsche 911 and a GM product called the C8...they never went near GM product in their lives...mission accomplished. Oh yeah, btw, traditional Corvette buyers love it too!
Can you say home run?

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/01...omers-than-c7/

Racer86 01-17-2021 09:33 AM

Hopefully the jolts and 10 year old tee shirts crowd will fade away and the new buyers will dress better when at cars and coffee car shows.

C82021 01-17-2021 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Racer86 (Post 1602849740)
Hopefully the. jolts and 10 year old tee shirts will fade away and the new buyers will dress better. When at cars and coffee car shows.

What’s amazing to me is...they ALL love the C8. All ages, all incomes, all previous domestic/import experiences. Is the C8 the product that unites a divided world lol :)

JVi 01-17-2021 09:40 AM

Hopefully the jolts and 10 year old tee shirts crowd will fade away and the new buyers will dress better when at cars and coffee car shows.

Anything wrong with a '72 football jersey worn at a tea and crumpets car show gathering?

Panfish 01-17-2021 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by C82021 (Post 1602849723)
GM wanted to transform Corvette. Attract a new buyer, make it globally competitive. Remember when it was Corvette vs. Mustang GT? GM says now...NEW buyers choose between a Porsche 911 and a GM product called the C8...they never went near GM product in their lives...mission accomplished. Oh yeah, btw, traditional Corvette buyers love it too!
Can you say titanic home run?

I am one. But, it’s not all roses. I’ll bet most of the C8 buyers similar to me who “never went near a GM product” will be a “one and done”. I did go near GM once in ‘96 and it went poorly, but this was a different product. Sadly, at least in my case and it sounds like many others, this experience wasn’t enjoyable. Love the car, but the buying experience was a disaster and the jury is out on the reliability of the product with engines blowing up, transmissions failing and paint problems, etc.

I don’t think this car will be the catalyst to inspire repeat buying across to other products if that’s what GM hopes for. To do that, you have to hit a grand slam of attractive product, reliability and good service, and not just a home run. I’ll be looking for a pick-up again soon and the Colorado has the best styling which is what drew me to the Blazer ZR2 but looks alone won’t compel me to chance it again.

z06inVB 01-17-2021 10:05 AM

Covid altered supply and demand for these cars. Once that is settled and the discounts start the demographics will change back.

C82021 01-17-2021 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by z06inVB (Post 1602849876)
Covid altered supply and demand for these cars. Once that is settled and the discounts start the demographics will change back.

COVID made rich people downscale, huh?

z06inVB 01-17-2021 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by C82021 (Post 1602849895)
COVID made rich people downscale, huh?

Nope

jcp911s 01-17-2021 10:12 AM

They have to lure me away from my paid-off C7.... if they want a "younger wealthier" buyer, I guess I'm gonna get cut at the end of the season... because If I buy one... by 2024, I'll be 3 years older and $30K less wealthy.

And by the way, its "jorts", not "jolts" (which is a highly caffeinated drink favored buy Millenials who do not, and probably never will buy Corvettes), and the "official" shirt is a white "Corvette 50th Anniversary" polo, and stylishly matching New Balance walking shoes.... accessorized by a couple of Schlitz longnecks in St Louis Rams beer cozies.

Also "Titanic Success" is an oxymoron... but I digress

C82021 01-17-2021 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by jcp911s (Post 1602849910)
They have to lure me away from my paid-off C7.... if they want a "younger wealthier" buyer, I guess I'm gonna get cut at the end of the season... because If I buy one... by 2024, I'll be 3 years older and $30K less wealthy.

And by the way, its "jorts", not "jolts" (which is a highly caffeinated drink favored buy Millenials who do not, and probably never will buy Corvettes), and the "official" shirt is a white "Corvette 50th Anniversary" polo, and stylishly matching New Balance walking shoes.... accessorized by a couple of Schlitz longnecks in St Louis Rams beer cozies.

I’ll agree with 100% on titanic success lol. Point well taken..edit done lol. Nice writing btw great points. The only better than a Corvette is a paid off Corvette!

Racer X 01-17-2021 10:19 AM

I doubt it, dressing nice is dead. I went to a nice restaurant the other night. When we went there 21 years ago for our first anniversary, it was coat and tie. Now, it is “business casual” which includes nice jeans but not beach wear or hats for men. So yeah, dressing nice is dead, except maybe the Opera or symphony.

Racer86 01-17-2021 10:32 AM

yea, correct, jorts , Auto correct on iPad.
I’m just bitching about the guys who wear a 10 year old faded tee shirt, and yet their corvette is washed, waxed, and perfect. Not a good image for Corvette,

Racer86 01-17-2021 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Racer X (Post 1602849951)
I doubt it, dressing nice is dead. I went to a nice restaurant the other night. When we went there 21 years ago for our first anniversary, it was coat and tie. Now, it is “business casual” which includes nice jeans but not beach wear or hats for men. So yeah, dressing nice is dead, except maybe the Opera or symphony.

not talking about nice jeans, I wear them also. Bitching about old guys that wear worn out tee shirts. Basically very close to shop rags. Not a good look for Corvette.

CitznFish 01-17-2021 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by z06inVB (Post 1602849876)

I wouldn't take that bet

CitznFish 01-17-2021 10:55 AM

And by the way, its "jorts", not "jolts" (which is a highly caffeinated drink favored buy Millenials who do not, and probably never will buy Corvettes),

1) Jolt Cola "all the sugar and twice the caffeine" is a soda from GenX, not Millennials.
2) Millennials are most certainly buying all sorts of generations of Corvettes, haven't you been paying attention?

Phanni 01-17-2021 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Racer86 (Post 1602850050)
not talking about nice jeans, I wear them also. Bitching about old guys that wear worn out tee shirts. Basically very close to shop rags. Not a good look for Corvette.

Just curious, why do you care what someone else is wearing?

hawkgfr 01-17-2021 10:59 AM

Worrying and whining about what others choose to wear to a ******** car show is perfectly liberal left crying....and of of the most stupid comments I've ever read here... :shrug:

Go ahead and admit it....you rock a mullet. :lol:

Panfish 01-17-2021 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by hawkgfr (Post 1602850183)
....and of of the most stupid comments I've ever read here..

:spit:

MikeC4C5C6...C7 01-17-2021 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by C82021 (Post 1602849723)
Can you say home run?

For Corvette to survive long term it MUST attract younger buyers. This is very good news.

AzDave47 01-17-2021 12:05 PM

I bought the C6 Z06 to use the performance, not to look good to others and I don't give a crap what they think of my old T-shirts from races years and years ago.. I don't go for the "pretty car" Cars and Coffee events where they all talk about how fast their cars are and have probably never pulled more than .7G or driven it at a performance event at full chat. I know what the car will do because I bought it to do it and have. So what if it will never be a show and shine car because it has had too much stuff hit it at over 150 MPH. How many C6 owners know the G meter peaks at 1.27 G's or that cruise control only works right up to 157 MPH (at 158 and above it just keep climbing, not maintain speed).

With your user name I would think you would understand those that actually use the performance and take the cosmetic consequences as a given.