CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Reasons to put car up for winter (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4488976-reasons-to-put-car-up-for-winter.html)

rybern 01-18-2021 10:52 PM

Reasons to put car up for winter

I live in Alabama so I realize things are different here than up North. I also realize that once they start salting the roads up North, you want to avoid driving on it. But I feel like I'm still missing some reasons. Anyone?

Quick Silver Z 01-18-2021 10:56 PM

My tires don't work at freezing temps.

ETPhoneHome 01-18-2021 10:59 PM

i drive mine year around. But i live in Cali.

but when we did get the first "rain" of the year a few weeks ago, i did hear about a GS that got put into a pole. so... if the roads are gonna be dangerous, prob better to take the subaru instead.

tealex 01-18-2021 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by rybern (Post 1602859422)
I live in Alabama so I realize things are different here than up North. I also realize that once they start salting the roads up North, you want to avoid driving on it. But I feel like I'm still missing some reasons. Anyone?

I live in NJ and drive my car 12 months a year..........except................. when the temp is below 40, there's snow, ice, rain, or salt on the roads. February and March are the worst months up here so the car gets out much less those months.

FatsWaller 01-18-2021 11:31 PM

It's too cold with the roof off and -20 out.

Patsgarage 01-18-2021 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z (Post 1602859448)
My tires don't work at freezing temps.

Originally Posted by tealex (Post 1602859535)
I live in NJ and drive my car 12 months a year..........except................. when the temp is below 40, there's snow, ice, rain, or salt on the roads. February and March are the worst months up here so the car gets out much less those months.

:iagree:
A/S tires were not available when I replaced the stock GYs on my GS, otherwise I would drive it all year. :(

madsonp 01-19-2021 12:40 AM

Snow !

montereyredvette 01-19-2021 01:49 AM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8b4c9a88dd.jpg

owc6 01-19-2021 02:11 AM

Meh.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...59b9adeb22.jpg

Bunch of fraidy-cats.

Put some A/S tires on it, and this too could become your DD. :thumbs:

Don-Vette 01-19-2021 03:54 AM

Deep snow and summer tires don't work.
Car too low to ground to drive through snow.
Salt on roads promotes corrosion on every single nook and cranny of the car.
Zero degree temps.is no fun to drive in.
Any self respecting car guy, stores his ride during winter months up North.
Every Spring, it's like driving a new car.

rybern 01-19-2021 04:41 AM

Make sense. I will certainly be a fair weather driver with the Vette. This might sound like a silly question but is there a "rule of thumb" temperature to be above before your comfortable getting on it(assuming the roads are dry)?

Fast Dawg 01-19-2021 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by rybern (Post 1602859422)

I lived in Georgia for the first 40 years of my life and enjoyed driving my toys all year. Then my employer decided they needed me in Illinois so they loaded us up and we moved there for 13 years. I knew we would face much harsher winters there so I bought a Nissan Maxima (front wheel drive and no fun to drive when it's so cold and snowy outside the brake calipers freeze to the rotors) for my daily and gave up toys.

That lasted about two years and I bought a 01 C5 vert. Between November and April I always managed to get at least a few days each month when the sun was out, the roads were dry, and I drove my C5. The rest of the time it sat under a cover with the positive battery cable disconnected but I drove it every month every year I was there until I retired and moved back to Georgia in 2013. One thing I did learn was that all wheel drive sport sedans were fun to drive in any weather. I had an Audi A6 that dared me to try and get it sideways in the snow! :cool:

Don-Vette 01-19-2021 05:09 AM

Above 60deg, for me. I've had the rear want to come around at 50deg. one Fall day, went home and changed my underwear! Lol

Spaceme1117 01-19-2021 08:58 AM

While I don't like getting salt on any vehicle, I would still drive my Corvette in salty/snowy conditions but only with all-season tires. This is the main reason to park the Vette for the winter. Most summer tires have very little traction below 40F and it can be very sketchy driving. I have read that some summer tires can even be damaged if you drive on them in too low of temperatures but I think this was with previous generation summer tires.

Another reason to not drive the Vette in the winter is that there are many bad drivers everywhere even in summer time. In winter time, the likelihood of some idiot wrecking into you is that much higher.

BadAV 01-19-2021 08:59 AM

My Bridgestones get pretty slick below 45° or so until they get warmed up. Doesn't stop me from driving the car in 20° temperatures; you just don't want to be an idiot when driving in cold temperatures. There were no A/S tires available in GS sizes when I bought the Bridgestones; next time purchase likely will be the Michelin A/S runflats.

Fast Dawg 01-19-2021 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 (Post 1602860569)
Another reason to not drive the Vette in the winter is that there are many bad drivers everywhere even in summer time. In winter time, the likelihood of some idiot wrecking into you is that much higher.

When we moved from Illinois back to Georgia, my insurance agent applied for and got a license to sell insurance here so he could keep my business. He started pricing insurance here and when he called me to tell me my Georgia rates he apologized in advance - my rates went up on all of my cars and we had clean driving records! The reason - more idiots in Georgia with driver's licenses. Eight years later my record is still clean but I've been in two accidents that weren't my fault. They were minor, but the other driver did something dumb. I'm about to move to a rural area - I'm just north of Atlanta in a crowded suburb - and I hope rural means lower rates.

rybern 01-19-2021 01:19 PM

I appreciate the explanations.

saplumr 01-19-2021 01:21 PM

High HP and DOT drag radials are a recipe for disaster on slick roads plus I'm not the least bit interested cleaning road grime.

RJS91RGTP 01-19-2021 01:44 PM

Winter driving

I live in the Chicago suburbs and am on my fifth Vette. Current ride is a 2013 Grand Sport Coupe with an Edelbrock supercharger.

My car is a daily driver year round. I am retired and don't need to be on the road when it is snowing or wet and real cold, but I do drive year round and if its 20 degrees out, the roads are dry, I drive my car. During the spring summer months I ride on Continental Extreme Contact tires which are non runflat. The other half of the year I ride on Michelin All Season runflats and they are fine when cold but you have to know how to drive and be safe. I had driven all my Vettes year round and have never had any issues as long as you know the conditions, drive with common sense and respect the car. If I'm out and there is some salt residue on the roads, I wash the car!! Pretty simple.

My ride!!

RJ

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8f0d3d702e.jpg

Fast Dawg 01-19-2021 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by RJS91RGTP (Post 1602862426)
I live in the Chicago suburbs and am on my fifth Vette. Current ride is a 2013 Grand Sport Coupe with an Edelbrock supercharger.

My car is a daily driver year round. I am retired and don't need to be on the road when it is snowing or wet and real cold, but I do drive year round and if its 20 degrees out, the roads are dry, I drive my car. I had driven all my Vettes year round and have never had any issues as long as you know the conditions, drive with common sense and respect the car. If I'm out and there is some salt residue on the roads, I wash the car!! Pretty simple.

My experience there as well, except I wasn't retired so I found weekend sunny days and off I went to the long, straight, smooth roads out amongst the cornfields where I could really drive my C5.

Which burb are you in there if you don't mind me asking? I loved living in that area. We miss our old neighbors but don't miss the taxes!!! :eek: