CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Anyone use weighted knob on MGW shifter? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4492203-anyone-use-weighted-knob-on-mgw-shifter.html)

JonMN 01-27-2021 05:25 PM

Anyone use weighted knob on MGW shifter?

Just wondering if anyone uses a weighted knob with the MGW shifter, either regular or flat. I was thinking this might be a very simple tweak to try once the snow melts.

Here is what I have so far--it's great, but open to improvements.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a40b88dafd.jpg

Avanti 01-28-2021 12:38 AM

You don't say why you are asking. Do you have a resonance or something in the shifter that is an issue for you that you are trying to dampen? Or...? Just curious, since I have dealt with such with aftermarket shifters on other cars and had to add weight to the shifter shaft under the boot. :thumbs:

JonMN 01-28-2021 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Avanti (Post 1602911950)
You don't say why you are asking. Do you have a resonance or something in the shifter that is an issue for you that you are trying to dampen? Or...? Just curious, since I have dealt with such with aftermarket shifters on other cars and had to add weight to the shifter shaft under the boot. :thumbs:

Thanks for the reply! No problems, just tweaking a little. The theory is that a weighted knob will actually shift easier or smoother since there will be a little momentum as the arm moves. I think MGW makes one, but not for the flat shifter.

Patfitz9 01-28-2021 10:03 AM

Not specifically with MGW, but I've used weighted shift knobs on aftermarket shifters. I think it improves the shift feel. Heavier knobs dampen vibrations and drop into place a bit easier.

Elk 01-28-2021 10:29 AM

I find a weighted knob improves feel for short shifters. They also dampen the increased vibrations transmitted to the shifter with aftermarket shifters.

I predict you would be pleased.

Szabol 01-28-2021 11:09 AM

The next question will be shape, or ergonomic feel. I personally don’t care for the ball, T or pistol shape.

I like the shape of the Vette knob (call it a 5 wood shape), but I am curious about a carbon fiber weighted version.

I used to have a chrome knob similar to the Audi TT, and the only drawback was it got hot in the sunlight.

ultimately weight and shape are both important. yMMV

Elk 01-28-2021 11:53 AM

Agreed.

I, too, do not care for ball, T, or pistol grip.

JonMN 01-28-2021 12:33 PM

Thanks for the replies! The MGW comes with a 2" ball, which was just a little small for me. The Epco in the photo is 2 1/8 and fits my hand perfectly. It's my first ball shifter, and I am surprised how much I like it.

I did enough searching around for weighted knobs to know they run the gamut. I also decided I am not going solid steel--too hot or too cold depending upon conditions. It turns out Epco makes a weighted ball that I think I will order. It's the same shape as I have, but is not solid steel. For about $40 it's fun to play around a little. Let you know how I like it in a few months when the snow is gone.

Clareymark 02-02-2021 02:01 PM

Here's my 2018 Stingray 2LT with MGW shifter (non- flat blade) with a Raceseng Stratose Leather knob. Weighs 419 grams (0.92 pounds). Definitely provides for a smoother shifting action.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0419edc1c8.jpg

Jason71 02-02-2021 02:23 PM

This is my latest knob. I have five or six shift knobs.....all round / cue ball style. I don’t think any of them are heavier than a typical pool ball. It’s my latest hobby collecting shift knobs. They are so easy to swap-out and it is a relatively inexpensive part of the hobby that keeps me from spending more money on something else. I even have a glow-in-the-dark knob that I ordered off Fleabay.

I absolutely love my flat-stick short throw shifter from MGW. It’s the best Modification I’ve done to the car. Worth every penny.

(Please disregard the lack of an airbag cover emblem / center cap. I’m waiting on it’s completion for installation)
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e68bd75ada.jpg

JonMN 02-02-2021 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Clareymark (Post 1602941467)
Here's my 2018 Stingray 2LT with MGW shifter (non- flat blade) with a Raceseng Stratose Leather knob. Weighs 419 grams (0.92 pounds). Definitely provides for a smoother shifting action.

Wow, that looks great! I have been looking at Raceseng for a while, but was not sure if they would be too heavy. Great to get a review!

Szabol 02-02-2021 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jason71 (Post 1602941609)
This is my latest knob. I have five or six shift knobs.....all round / cue ball style. I don’t think any of them are heavier than a typical pool ball. It’s my latest hobby collecting shift knobs. They are so easy to swap-out and it is a relatively inexpensive part of the hobby that keeps me from spending more money on something else. I even have a glow-in-the-dark knob that I ordered off Fleabay.

I absolutely love my flat-stick short throw shifter from MGW. It’s the best Modification I’ve done to the car. Worth every penny.

(Please disregard the lack of an airbag cover emblem / center cap. I’m waiting on it’s completion for installation)
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e68bd75ada.jpg

Knobs are addicting. I had about 6 on my last car. Weighted was the best.

Szabol 02-02-2021 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Clareymark (Post 1602941467)

What is the weight of the factory knob?

Clareymark 02-03-2021 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Szabol (Post 1602942981)
What is the weight of the factory knob?

Not sure of factory knob weight (Raceseng knob weight is from their website) but in hand it seems to be about 1/3 the weight of the Stratose knob. They offer much heavier knobs than the Statose - up to about 2 pounds I believe.

Elk 02-03-2021 10:19 AM

This is the best looking after market shifter and knob I have seen.

Clareymark 02-03-2021 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Elk (Post 1602945605)
This is the best looking after market shifter and knob I have seen.

Thanks! I'm very pleased with it. Installed the MGW shifter, Raceseng knob and changed transmission fluid to Redline all at once. MAJOR change!

TheRajMahal 02-04-2021 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Clareymark (Post 1602945806)
Thanks! I'm very pleased with it. Installed the MGW shifter, Raceseng knob and changed transmission fluid to Redline all at once. MAJOR change!

Do you have a link to the shift knob/where you bought it? Also I was reading you need an adapter for it? Looks really nice!!

Clareymark 02-04-2021 04:03 PM

I dont have a link but you can Google raceseng shift knobs to get their website. Yes it does require an adaptor (sold on their website). Just a note - I purchased the adaptor for the standard C7 shifter, but the MGW shaft is slightly larger in diameter, preventing the adaptor from sliding completely down on the shaft. Result is the knob is currently about 1/2 inch higher than it could be. I'm in the process of ordering a new adaptor that fits all the way down the shaft. It does not affect the performance of the new knob, fit is still tight, but I think I want to get it a bit shorter.
if you have a flat stick then obviously that will require a different adaptor.

TheRajMahal 02-04-2021 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Clareymark (Post 1602952894)
I dont have a link but you can Google raceseng shift knobs to get their website. Yes it does require an adaptor (sold on their website). Just a note - I purchased the adaptor for the standard C7 shifter, but the MGW shaft is slightly larger in diameter, preventing the adaptor from sliding completely down on the shaft. Result is the knob is currently about 1/2 inch higher than it could be. I'm in the process of ordering a new adaptor that fits all the way down the shaft. It does not affect the performance of the new knob, fit is still tight, but I think I want to get it a bit shorter.
if you have a flat stick then obviously that will require a different adaptor.

Oh interesting. I got it ordered last night, hoping mine fits! I may just trim down the MGW shaft if I have issues.

What new adapter did you have to get?

blackandgold 02-05-2021 10:14 AM

I run a weighted shifter on the MGW on my Camaro. I found that it improved the smoothness. There is a big chance that is all in my head, but once I pull the trigger on an MGW for my C7 it'll get a weighted knob.