CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Make my C6 harder to steal (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4494226-make-my-c6-harder-to-steal.html)

slowtealz28 02-02-2021 10:52 AM

Make my C6 harder to steal

I live down in South Florida and stealing cars and breaking into them is unfortunately a big thing down here. We live in a pretty nice area so the scrubs target our neighborhood every 6-12months. Someone my wife works with just had his new truck stolen last night so these people doing it are good. Unfortunately I do not have a garage at this time. I will be keeping a cover on my car with a lock on it, so thats step one to slow them down. I am thinking about adding a lojack or other tracking device but they don't really seem to deter people down here. When I park the car I want to pull some fuses that would prevent the car from starting period unless it was put back in. Someone else mentioned an ignition cut switch. Can anyone provide any recommendations on fuses or switches? May also add a sticker on the car somewhere.

919cw313 02-02-2021 10:58 AM

Remove all the wheels when you park it.

Vet Interested 02-02-2021 11:08 AM

If they really want it they will take it. Hopefully you can slow them down enough to possibly get caught.

Ogre39 02-02-2021 11:14 AM

Locks are for honest people. Maybe think about cameras like Ring with the spotlight and highlight the fact that you have them. If you can't stop them, maybe you can deter them.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...20a319d170.png

Corvette_Ed 02-02-2021 11:18 AM

If someone is going to try to steal a C6, they're going to use a flatbed. There's nothing you can do to prevent that.

SK '08 02-02-2021 11:25 AM

I could never live there.
And you would never live here, too much white shit on the ground right now.

BluegrassMotorsport 02-02-2021 11:31 AM

Maybe a battery cutoff? But as others have said. If they want it bad enough... they can get it.

MysteryMob 02-02-2021 11:47 AM

Buy a wheel boot and boot your own car. Even if they try stealing it with a tow truck, it's going to make a ton of noise.

FAUEE 02-02-2021 11:52 AM

A few things

1) they're not stealing cars by breaking a window and driving them off. They steal them by towing them.

2) your car has on star which can track your car.

3) get insurance and don't worry about it. You're more likely get have a smash and grab done for a cell phone or wallet in your car than them stealing the whole car.

4) if you really want it to be harder to steal, get a stick shift.

slowtealz28 02-02-2021 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1602940659)
A few things

1) they're not stealing cars by breaking a window and driving them off. They steal them by towing them.

2) your car has on star which can track your car.

3) get insurance and don't worry about it. You're more likely get have a smash and grab done for a cell phone or wallet in your car than them stealing the whole car.

4) if you really want it to be harder to steal, get a stick shift.

1. Flat beds can't get through our community gates without either towing a car for the HOA office itself, or it has to be let in by an owner. I am actually least worried about the towing scenario.

2. Good to know

3. Have insurance

4. It is a 6 speed

Just trying to make it harder than any other car to make the chances smaller, I do understand if someone really wants it you cant stop them but even slowing them down a little will help big time. Lots of guns down here in the south...

ProCycle 02-02-2021 12:09 PM

When it's parked keep your fobs in a metal container. Many car thefts happen when the thief hijacks the signal from the fob and amplifies it to unlock and start the car.
Devices that detect and amplify fob signals are cheap and plentiful on the internet.

cadyshac 02-02-2021 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by slowtealz28 (Post 1602940718)
1. Flat beds can't get through our community gates without either towing a car for the HOA office itself, or it has to be let in by an owner. I am actually least worried about the towing scenario.

2. Good to know

3. Have insurance

4. It is a 6 speed

Just trying to make it harder than any other car to make the chances smaller, I do understand if someone really wants it you cant stop them but even slowing them down a little will help big time. Lots of guns down here in the south...

You live in a gated community and still have to deal with this? Move north?

slowtealz28 02-02-2021 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by ProCycle (Post 1602940774)
When it's parked keep your fobs in a metal container. Many car thefts happen when the thief hijacks the signal from the fob and amplifies it to unlock and start the car.
Devices that detect and amplify fob signals are cheap and plentiful on the internet.

Thank you, I did have some concerns with the fob how they just magically unlock the door if youre close enough. IMO thats not the smartest setup but tons of companies use it.

slowtealz28 02-02-2021 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by cadyshac (Post 1602940789)
You live in a gated community and still have to deal with this? Move north?

Thought about this. I have a good job but have been able to work from home during the beginning of the "pandemic", and more recently been battling illness and working from home. If we move itll likely be to the carolinas if anywhere. I have to be near H20 because I fish all the time.

cdm747 02-02-2021 01:04 PM

South Mississippi - Crime rate and cost of living is much lower and we have some of the best fishing in the world.

Fine05 02-02-2021 01:06 PM

I use a removable battery plug for long-term storage but it won't deter a determined thief. I am sure you have thought of this but one thing I do is block my Vette with another vehicle. Again, it won't stop a hard core thief but it does make more inconvenient for the scum.

acroy 02-02-2021 01:21 PM

I live in a rather nice 'burb, had similar issues a while back. The thieves were driving the cars away, not towing. 2 people I know had left the keys in the car :crazy2: dumbasses, no sympathy for them.
Most of the thieves are opportunists, they just run down the street, get into anything unlocked and take what they can. Guns, meds etc. Yes one of the guys who's vehicle was stolen had a gun in there too.

If you have fast opportunistic thieves like this, just leaving the car locked and reasonably well lit is a good deterrent.

Thieves usually run right past my house (neighbors catch them on cam many times). I have a streetlight in my front yard, car parked up near the house, locked, well lit, and American flag which is of course code for "owner is armed" and additional motion-activated security light.

Next step would be an ignition or fuel pump disable. Various ways to do this. Simplest is to locate the wire you want to interrupt (probably off the ignition switch) and wire a rocker switch inline. Keep it tucked up in the dash where you know where it is but it's not obvious, it takes some looking. If the car won't start after a few seconds the thief will leave it and run off to the next target,

good luck

Iceaxe 02-02-2021 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by slowtealz28 (Post 1602940718)

Towing is the one you should be most worried about. My brother in law repos cars and if he wants it, it's gone. He has a special Ford truck that has a contraption that slides out of the bed, under your car, which allows him to move any car a short distance (several blocks). At which time they bring in a flat bed to finish the job. From the time he backs up to your car, hooks up and drives away is only a couple of minutes. He tells me you just have to get the car away from it's parking spot ASAP to avoid trouble and than you have all the time you need.

FAUEE 02-02-2021 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by slowtealz28 (Post 1602940830)
Thought about this. I have a good job but have been able to work from home during the beginning of the "pandemic", and more recently been battling illness and working from home. If we move itll likely be to the carolinas if anywhere. I have to be near H20 because I fish all the time.

I moved from South Florida to NC, then back to the space coast. It's all the same shit everywhere. Dade and Broward counties were a little worse than Palm Beach, but NC had its own issues. Unfortunately ending the war on drugs has left a lot of addicts out there who will smash and grab for anything they think they can trade or sell to get drugs, and unless communities are outright hostile to them, drifters end up congregating. Hell some cities will even bus them to other nearby counties under the guise of getting them treatment when it's really about pushing them off on someone else.

The best thing you can do to protect your car is to give them no reason to mess with it. Always keep it locked, don't keep anything visible in it. Put up motion sensor security lights to cover your parking spot. Get a barly ass dog.

I wouldn't worry much about the idea of people using a wireless sniffer to pull your key info. They're not gonna be bringing out tech to steal 10 year old chevies. And even if they did, security lights, a dog, and a stick shift will have them move on to the next house. Hell, you could do longtubes and an exhaust so if they started it in the middle of the night EVERYONE would know. Not gonna be getting away with that silently.

In your case, your biggest risk is property theft from in the vehicle, not full on vehicle theft.

drewz06 02-02-2021 01:31 PM

i live just south of west palm and never worried about this.... had a z06 out front day and night for 3 years... now the zr1 sits there...

i'm thinking they'd probably steal the 2020 ram 3500 first....

if you're really that worried, just go pop one of the harnesses off under the passenger kick panel... i'm sure there's a fuse in there that would make it also difficult to start.... :thumbs:

-drew