CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Water streak on inside front headlight lens (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4516293-water-streak-on-inside-front-headlight-lens.html)

Vette2020 04-11-2021 06:04 AM

Water streak on inside front headlight lens

I just noted a water streak on inside lens. Has anyone cleaned the front light from the inside? Appreciate any advice. Thank you
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...7ca93f4bf.jpeg
Water streak-inside
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...26637490c.jpeg
Water streak-inside

heisnuts 04-11-2021 07:31 AM

If it really is on the inside of the lens I do not believe there is anyway to clean it as the assembly is a sealed LED light assembly. The good news is that if it is on the inside that should be a warranty item at your local dealer.

NextOne 04-11-2021 08:07 AM

Did this occur after delivery? Would bug the heck out of me.

Vetteman Jack 04-11-2021 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by heisnuts (Post 1603286137)
If it really is on the inside of the lens I do not believe there is anyway to clean it as the assembly is a sealed LED light assembly. The good news is that if it is on the inside that should be a warranty item at your local dealer.

Yeah, doubt you are going to get that fixed without replacing the lens. I would not want someone trying to open the sealed housing.

Fast Dawg 04-12-2021 10:27 AM

That would bug the crap out of me.......off to the dealer I would go!

RapidC84B 04-12-2021 11:40 AM

The headlights are non-serviceable... LED goes out you replace the assembly. FWIW my wife has a new 2021 Mercedes GLC w/ the adaptive lights and they get moisture inside them all the time. It evaporates and is considered normal. The LEDs don't get hot and don't burn off the condensation as well. They have fans to circulate air like our C8s do. I'd give it a few hundred more miles and watch it to see if it goes away.

If it won't... only option is to pull the front bumper and replace the headlight.

Corvette4Life_01 04-12-2021 07:18 PM

I have the same issue, I’m hearing this is a problem on C8’s. The way I found out is that I got them covered with PPF and the shop couldn’t get out the streak. I need to make an appointment at the dealer.

Dave64 04-12-2021 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by C16_Harold (Post 1603294468)
I have the same issue, I’m hearing this is a problem on C8’s. The way I found out is that I got them covered with PPF and the shop couldn’t get out the streak. I need to make an appointment at the dealer.

I have the same exact issue. I thought it was caused by the place that installed my PPF. I'm going to ask the dealer about replacement.

Vette2020 04-12-2021 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by NextOne (Post 1603286202)
Did this occur after delivery? Would bug the heck out of me.

The streaks were just noticed... 4 months after a NCM delivery.

Dave64 04-13-2021 04:57 PM

Same here, as with Mette2020, the streaks were just noticed after PPF was installed about a month after my NCM delivery. Until I saw this thread, I thought I was alone in the world :D with this issue.

BobbyB65 04-16-2022 07:43 AM

I just noticed the same thing on my 21 convertible . Car has never been driven in rain and just turned 2k miles . I immediately brought to the dealer who tried to convince me it is on the outside and is from whomever installed the paint protection film last year. I was 99 % sure it wasn’t but took the car to Penske Automotive a large dealer of very high end cars . They are excellent and took the car right in and said it’s on inside and will show you. They took out lens polish buffer and no change at all . Called dealer back and GM . GM customer service line said they spoke to dealer and since the wrap was done at another dealer they may have damaged it with the use of a heat gun. It’s a bunch of garbage . Penske promptly responded and said they would be embarrassed to use such an excuse and in fact no heat gun was used on my installation of expel paint film. This is GM flagship car , in my case $81k and they will not warranty this . I would be curious if you have also had the paint protection film added . If not then it is another QC issue with this car

BobbyB65 04-16-2022 07:46 AM

Did the dealer install the film and will they warranty the headlight .? Mine and GM customer service giving run around and stating it’s from the film and use of heat gun. My install did not use heat gun.

BobbyB65 04-16-2022 07:49 AM

In my case I did , they took pictures and sent to GM they said . So far refusing to warranty it . First tried to tell me it’s on outside , now they say it’s voided warranty because the paint film added and the use of a heat gun during instal may have caused it . My film did not have heat gun install 1 year ago . It’s just showing now . They are trying to get out of it . Imagine buying there 81k flagship car and getting this .

BobbyB65 04-16-2022 07:52 AM

Let me know how that goes , my dealer and GM is not warranting the lights . They said since they didn’t install film the use of the heat gun may have caused it . Bunch of garbage . In my install no heat gun used . Selling car and will never buy GM again .

BobbyB65 04-16-2022 07:53 AM

Do you have paint protection film on car by chance ?

BobbyB65 04-16-2022 07:57 AM

We’re they there before the paint film applied ? Dealer and GM trying to walk away from warranty repaid and said it’s the PPF install fault and use of heat gun . They didn’t use a heat gun . Can you let me know how you make out

DevilDog82 04-16-2022 09:43 AM

I have it on one of my headlights as well, looks just like yours does.

My car has PPF/ceramic, and I haven't brought it to the dealer yet for a warranty claim. The good news in my situation is that I bought my C8 new from the dealer who had already had the PPF/ceramic installed, so if they try to blame it on the PPF installation like others have mentioned, it was their doing and not mine.

dohabandit 04-17-2022 07:59 AM

I have the exact same problem! I took pictures and a video of it.
I took it to the dealer, the service advisor somehow just "could not see it". I think they are looking at the outside surface of the lens and you have to realize this is BEHIND the lens.

So how did this happen?

Mine does not look like a water streak. I have never seen any sort of water vapor inside that lens.
It looks to me more like someone sprayed some sort of clear coat on the inside of the lens and it was sprayed on too thick and ran before hardening.

There should be a TSB out for this and I think GM should replace the lenses. Mine looks awful.

dohabandit 04-17-2022 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by RapidC84B (Post 1603291885)
The headlights are non-serviceable... LED goes out you replace the assembly. FWIW my wife has a new 2021 Mercedes GLC w/ the adaptive lights and they get moisture inside them all the time. It evaporates and is considered normal. The LEDs don't get hot and don't burn off the condensation as well. They have fans to circulate air like our C8s do. I'd give it a few hundred more miles and watch it to see if it goes away.

If it won't... only option is to pull the front bumper and replace the headlight.

8200 miles, it isn't going away. It doesn't look like water stain at all. It looks like a clear coat was sprayed on too thick and it ran before it hardened up. You can see the actual run in the material inside the lens. It's thick.
No way this was caused by a heat gun.

\Boost Monkey/ 04-18-2022 08:35 AM

I also have this same exact problem on my 21’, and I also have PPF.

Further, my streaks are:
1. In the IDENTICAL location as OP’s.
2. Look literally IDENTICAL to the OP’s streaks.
2. Only located on the passenger side headlight housing JUST LIKE OP.

…To even attempt to make an argument that a heatgun could cause the above 3 items between 2 completely random C8’s in completely different locations in the US is moronic and a complete joke…

Absolutely zero way this is caused by PPF applications guys… Something else is going on here with these housing. I also thought it was related to something in the film like a non-water/evaporating substance was on the housing and simply missed prior to applying film thus now trapped. But after seeing this thread I know otherwise…