CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   MSD, Crane or Jacobs? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/453083-msd-crane-or-jacobs.html)

467-Ratman 12-15-2002 08:32 PM

MSD, Crane or Jacobs?

We have had many topics on this, but I was wondering if anybody has used the Jacobs ignition system. Jegs has it and looks pretty good. If you believe Crane there unit is much better than MSD? I am looking to upgrade my system this winter, thanks for the info.

Corey_68 12-15-2002 08:39 PM

Re: MSD, Crane or Jacobs? (467-Ratman)

All are good MSD offers the widest variety of coponets. I personally prefer Taylor/Mallory ignition systems. I'm running a Vertex Magneto on my BB.
:cheers:

AlwaysWave 12-15-2002 09:04 PM

I've pondered this myself. If the Jacobs system does what they claim it would be worth the extra dollars. I haven't found anyone that has one and did have an MSD to compare it.

Jason Staley 12-15-2002 09:09 PM

I have a Jacobs ignition on my BB Cutlass and a Mallory in my 76 Stingray. They both have rev limiters. The Jacobs also came with spark plug wires and a high output coil. Both ignition systems work good, but I can't say if they are anybetter or worse than MSD because I've never ran an MSD box. However, I am very satisfied with both systems.

467-Ratman 12-15-2002 09:33 PM

Another question that I forgot to ask. what is the deal with the new Digital systems, I know the MSD 6al is not the newer digital. Sounds like that might be the way to go, although the latest greatest is not allways the best?

bigvette1 12-15-2002 09:39 PM

I have used all 3. The Jacobs was good but did not find it superior to a Crane or the MSD 6 for perforamcne. They do offer an anti theft setup and revc limiter. However, I really do not think it worth the over 2x's the cost. The MSD 6 crapped out after 1 year. Not happy about that and it was not heat. The Crane HI-6 has run great and is priced at the same point as the MSD. Easy to install and with the built in rev limiter and when I bought it they gave the PS-92 coil with it from Summit. Check out the current catalog of Summit and see if the offer is still good.

VegasJen 12-16-2002 01:52 AM

i have jacob's pro street and i like it. i never ran an MSD so i can't comment. i did have my jacobs coil short out on me earlier this year. i called jacobs, they said it was under warranty, summit sent me a new one and i sent the old one back, end of story. i like that the jacobs rev limiter doesn't use pills, just uses a switch that you set and off you go. and if you like, you can just turn it off.

Arkansas Flash 12-16-2002 06:47 AM

I have run both Jacob's and the MSD 6AL. The MSD only lasted about a year because it's not waterproof. Jacob's is. I also like the Jacobs rev limiter not using pills like the MSD unit.