CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Battery Maintainer CTec Assumptions (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4563920-battery-maintainer-ctec-assumptions.html)

dbj216 09-08-2021 09:04 PM

Battery Maintainer CTec Assumptions

Greetings Corvette Friends: I have the official Corvette battery "maintainer" that plugs into the 12v socket located in the right rear of my GS coupe. I plan on using this device during the long winter months while the Corvette sits. But the instructions for this device have me a bit concerned.

The instructions call the device a battery charger. The specs say it can deliver over an amp of power to the battery. The instructions warn about battery outgassing, ventilation, explosions, fires and the usual stuff for battery charging.

I just want to maintain about a healthy 12.9 volts or so in the battery, not over charge it and dry out my battery or worse. I assume this fancy "charger" will sense battery voltage and reduce charging voltage as needed. I assume the Corvette battery compartment is vented to the outside and no gas is released in the interior. I assume the 12v socket (cigarette lighter type) is there so you don't have to open up the battery compartment. I assume too much I'm afraid.

Has anyone had bad experiences with the "official Corvette battery charger"? I would like to plug it in and forget it.

David

wrecker3 09-08-2021 09:24 PM

i have been using Deltran Battery Tenders for over 30 years and have had batteries last 10 years !!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...00bb344f13.jpg

27ssalc 09-08-2021 10:12 PM

The Corvette charger works fine. Just firmly press in the cigarette lighter type plug into the receptacle firmly ! Also the battery tender brand is also a quality charger that I use on my other cars ….. no worries 👍

LT4CMG 09-08-2021 10:49 PM

I have the corvette one for my vette and the green tender pictured above for my camaro. Over 15 years of use for 5-6 months annually and have never had a single issue with either. Battery explosions and other warnings are an attempt to avoid being sued. That said, all winter long, both my devices sit outside of the car, in plain site so I can see the lights.

Vetteman Jack 09-08-2021 10:52 PM

The battery has (or should have) a vent tube that is attached to it so it does vent to the outside. The battery maintainer that you can get from the dealer works just fine to keep a level state of charge - I've used one for almost three years and not a problem.

I have also used a Deltran Battery Tender Plus on other cars and it works great too as does a regular CTEK product. Just pick one and set your worries aside.

Zjoe6 09-09-2021 08:24 AM

It will work as desired, use it.

Tinkertech 09-09-2021 08:48 AM

These maintainers when in mantance mode only output ~ 13.2 volts and 30 mA. At this level it would be impossible to overcharge or damage a battery. Remember your car is always pulling ~ 10-20mA for the electronics so the maintainer is supplying ~ 10 mA to the battery and these maintainers basically pulse the battery, output voltage/current then check the charge level then repeat this cycle as necessary.

Corgidog1 09-09-2021 11:18 AM

Probably just legal warning to protect themselves for the 1 in a million occurance. I have been using the ctek worry free for 6 yrs on my C7.

Gixxerman 09-09-2021 11:37 AM

Been using the Ctec OEM branded one that came with my C7.. works great and always hooked up all winter

dbj216 09-09-2021 08:48 PM

Thank you guys. I knew I would get good advice here. The ctek product description was more toward the battery charger than a battery maintainer device. I'm glad to hear the Ctek can be on the battery all winter without problems. I connected it today and saw the "lights" on the ctek progress from a half full battery to a fully charged battery. It took a couple of hours, and the ctek got warmer than I thought it would.

The battery is new in my Corvette and I just want to get good life out of it.

David

NortonCO 09-09-2021 11:26 PM

I use two CTEKs. The first is a MULTI US 7002 that I swap around between my Shelby, my Tacoma, and my wife's BMW. The second is the GM-branded (US 0.8) that came with my C7Z. I've used the former for almost nine years and the latter for almost two. Like @LT4CMG, I set them up outside the vehicles so I can easily see the indicator lights, and I run them on ground-fault circuits that should trip if their internal fault protection doesn't. Zero problems, so far.

Bigredwing 09-10-2021 09:31 AM

You are good to go. The one I use came with a C6 I bought in 2011. It has had continuous use (unless I am driving of course) since then and regularily on my C7.

Maxpowers 09-10-2021 10:59 AM

Im using a Noco G3500. Its a charger and maintainer. Best of both worlds.

Kangarew 09-10-2021 11:23 AM

Ctek

I use a CTEK on my C7 nearly 100% of the time while parked in my garage. Technically, it IS a charger, though it is more correctly a trickle charger and battery maintainer. If you were to use this to charge a dead battery, it would take several days. This is intended to keep charged batteries topped off. Most Vette owners use these because there are so many things hot wired to the battery that cause current drains on our cars even locked up and the ignition switched off. Using the CTEK will likely extend your battery life, even on a daily driver.

As far as battery venting, your C7 has a factory installed vent hose to prevent battery gases from accumulating in your trunk or hatch area. Look for a narrow black plastic tube that is inserted into the end of your battery near the top edge. There may also be a corresponding plastic plug on the opposite end for batteries that have multiple applications (different cars)—this plug must also be in place to prevent gases from entering the inside of your car.

Save the wave,
Kangarew

Boozman 09-10-2021 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kangarew (Post 1604005629)
I use a CTEK on my C7 nearly 100% of the time while parked in my garage. Technically, it IS a charger, though it is more correctly a trickle charger and battery maintainer. If you were to use this to charge a dead battery, it would take several days. This is intended to keep charged batteries topped off. Most Vette owners use these because there are so many things hot wired to the battery that cause current drains on our cars even locked up and the ignition switched off. Using the CTEK will likely extend your battery life, even on a daily driver.

As far as battery venting, your C7 has a factory installed vent hose to prevent battery gases from accumulating in your trunk or hatch area. Look for a narrow black plastic tube that is inserted into the end of your battery near the top edge. There may also be a corresponding plastic plug on the opposite end for batteries that have multiple applications (different cars)—this plug must also be in place to prevent gases from entering the inside of your car.

Save the wave,
Kangarew

What he said been using mine for years no problems

Avanti 09-11-2021 01:14 AM

Not knowing the history of your particular car (in case not already stated), I'd suggest you check that the battery venting is correct and the tubing clear of potential obstructions.. :thumbs: