CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Bait and Switch or Just Naive or Both (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4567733-bait-and-switch-or-just-naive-or-both.html)

Walter Raulerson 09-21-2021 11:34 AM

Bait and Switch or Just Naive or Both

So I looked at True Car last night and found a 2021 Z51 for $82,270 with all of the usual info about the car and the pictures and the hype about the dealership and after 4 emails I called OGDEN CADILLAC CHEVROLET in Mission Texas and asked about the car wondering why this car was at sticker....ALAS I was told "OH we're adding 25 to the price". Just another bait and switch by a dealer that doesn't have the balls to just list the real price. JUST THE OLD FASHION BAIT AND SWITCH. So just some FYI and another lesson to be learned about car dealers. I'll just stick with the dealer that I have chosen that will sell me at sticker. Buyer be ware. Remember that name OGDEN CADILLAC CHEVEROLET Mission Texas

AORoads 09-21-2021 02:09 PM

Finally, someone who's not afraid of names. Good luck in/with your other dealer. :cheers:

Zymurgy 09-21-2021 02:24 PM

Probably just another automatic listing (happens to any vehicle shipped to the dealer). If they want to adjust the MSRP, they have to manually update the listing. Most don't bother because it is not to their advantage and is just extra work.

bartruff1 09-21-2021 02:29 PM

All to common....my car....bought and paid for....before I picked it up...was listed at the dealership for the $59,995.......but of course it was not available .... there is a bait and switch law in Washington State and it was a dealer with a excellent reputation so there must be some language in the law that they were taking advantage of...." Oh that car is sold but here is another you might be interested in....... "

Foosh 09-21-2021 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Zymurgy (Post 1604057022)
Probably just another automatic listing (happens to any vehicle shipped to the dealer). If they want to adjust the MSRP, they have to manually update the listing. Most don't bother because it is not to their advantage and is just extra work.

Correct, TrueCar just picks up the data that GM automatically places on every destination dealer website. All those prices are MSRP. It's not "bait and switch" because the dealer didn't add that listing. They usually delete or edit it but as you said, they often don't do that immediately.

tsigwing 09-21-2021 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson (Post 1604056245)
So I looked at True Car last night and found a 2021 Z51 for $82,270 with all of the usual info about the car and the pictures and the hype about the dealership and after 4 emails I called OGDEN CADILLAC CHEVROLET in Mission Texas and asked about the car wondering why this car was at sticker....ALAS I was told "OH we're adding 25 to the price". Just another bait and switch by a dealer that doesn't have the balls to just list the real price. JUST THE OLD FASHION BAIT AND SWITCH. So just some FYI and another lesson to be learned about car dealers. I'll just stick with the dealer that I have chosen that will sell me at sticker. Buyer be ware. Remember that name OGDEN CADILLAC CHEVEROLET Mission Texas

No, that's not what bait and switch is:

the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods which are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods

Mehfoud 09-21-2021 03:26 PM

You could say it's a little bit of false advertising but did you really think there are C8s at MSRP sitting on dealer lots?

tsigwing 09-21-2021 03:29 PM

Blame tru car. Don’t disparage that dealer for no good reason.

Laptime22 09-21-2021 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson (Post 1604056245)

I hope you screen shot the advertised price next time. One call to the State Attorney General and they will have to honor the price or pay a substantial fine.

Bigredwing 09-21-2021 04:04 PM

...but usually there is a note in tiny print at the bottom of the ad or webpage that says "*plus additional fees and taxes" that is their out.

Walter Raulerson 09-21-2021 04:20 PM

That car was on their website so they did PUT it there themselves not true car

Walter Raulerson 09-21-2021 04:22 PM

Mehfoud How was I to know they were lying? Other dealers sell at sticker I guess I'm supposed to assume every dealer is lying or are liars

Walter Raulerson 09-21-2021 04:24 PM

AORoads If they advertise it they own it I'll always name names

Foosh 09-21-2021 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson (Post 1604057522)

GM (not the dealer) puts the listings on destination dealer websites at MSRP on every car produced, no exceptions, even though virtually all of them are "sold orders" and just waiting for customer pickup. TrueCar just picks up whatever they find on dealer websites. If the dealer is slow to change or delete it, which they often are, it leads to threads like this.

Avanti 09-21-2021 05:06 PM

Sorry... truly... however, this is anything but news. And btw, is hardly limited to GM dealers pushing C8s. :crazy: :yesnod:

LIE2ME 09-21-2021 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Avanti (Post 1604057746)
Sorry... truly... however, this is anything but news. And btw, is hardly limited to GM dealers pushing C8s. :crazy: :yesnod:

True, there as an article on Jalopnik today about Ford dealers charging $10,000.00 ADMS on customer orders for the new Bronco when the cars arrive at the dealer. Customer walks in to pick up his factory ordered car, and BAM, "you me another ten big ones or no car"......:ack:

tsigwing 09-21-2021 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson (Post 1604057522)

no it’s an automated system. Mine popped up on my dealers website briefly then disappeared. They had nothing to do with it.

JALLEN4 09-21-2021 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Laptime22 (Post 1604057361)
I hope you screen shot the advertised price next time. One call to the State Attorney General and they will have to honor the price or pay a substantial fine.

Not true. A lot more complicated that that simple thought.

Zymurgy 09-21-2021 09:50 PM

There's always some fine print that prevents this from being an issue. In the case of the OP's listing, the following disclaimer is clearly posted at the bottom of the page:

Disclaimer:

New vehicle pricing includes all offers and incentives. Tax, Title and Tags not included in vehicle prices shown and must be paid by the purchaser. While great effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information on this site, errors do occur so please verify information with a customer service rep. This is easily done by calling us at 956-446-0964 or by visiting us at the dealership.

hypntyz 09-21-2021 10:16 PM

Don't hate the player, hate the game.