CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-z06-zr1-zora-discussion-187/)
-   -   GM Blacklist - Buyer Beware (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-z06-zr1-zora-discussion/4583146-gm-blacklist-buyer-beware.html)

CamsC8 11-11-2021 09:12 AM

GM Blacklist - Buyer Beware

Hi Folks,

I've read through a few Facebook threads and the "Right of First Refusal" thread here on the forum. What alot of Corvette owners may need to be on the lookout for are GM Blacklisting folks who sell their Z06 before a set year timeframe and mileage amount that GM are not publishing. I'd encourage you to speak to your dealership and inquire.

I'm not certain that GM US will be following suit but certainly GM Canada have limited resale of the C8 to 1 year and 12,000kms (both must be met). Having spoken to my dealership, it doesn't matter whether you trade it in prior to that mark as GM are preventing export and speculation by both dealers and owners.

Sure, you have the capitalist right to sell the C8 the day after you purchase it; you simply won't get another GM product again.

I'm aware of three personal cases and one large dealership who deals in fleet that have been added to this blacklist (and none were made aware of this resale restriction).

RJ-92 11-11-2021 09:20 AM

Perhaps GM should just sell the car for market value instead of trying to preclude owners from doing so. :confused:

*89x2* 11-11-2021 09:26 AM

The only gm "blacklist" I've ever known about was for known exporters. Being in Canada, that might be the list you are talking about. It's a list of those who buy and then exported to other countries.

There is no list I know about which identifies those who bought, then sold their property. It's a Corvette, not a Ford GT

64drvr 11-11-2021 09:30 AM

Agree with above. The naughty list is in reference to exporters. I've not head of a dealer's right of first refusal having any attachment with GM corporate.

CamsC8 11-11-2021 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by *89x2* (Post 1604297470)
The only gm "blacklist" I've ever known about was for known exporters. Being in Canada, that might be the list you are talking about. It's a list of those who buy and then exported to other countries.

There is no list I know about which identifies those who bought, then sold their property. It's a Corvette, not a Ford GT

It's for resale too in Canada, not just exporting. The crazy thing is that we can't control who we sell to...guy or gal could be an exporter and pretend to be an enthusiast. But GM doesn't seem to care.

Phil1098 11-11-2021 09:35 AM

I just talked to the general manager at my dealership a week ago and he brought up how GM will potentially pull a franchise if a dealer is involved with exporting a car, he said they are serious about that, said he's heard nothing at all about customers just selling their cars.

Marcho Polo 11-11-2021 09:40 AM

what others are saying... I also spoke to my local dealer recently and they said the list is for exporters.

CamsC8 11-11-2021 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Phil1098 (Post 1604297538)
I just talked to the general manager at my dealership a week ago and he brought up how GM will potentially pull a franchise if a dealer is involved with exporting a car, he said they are serious about that, said he's heard nothing at all about customers just selling their cars.

Ok that's good but here's the catch wearing the dealership hat. John Smith comes in and doesn't appear to be on an exporter list. He is sold a C8 or Z06. John sells to someone else who happens to be an exporter.

This exact situation is where, regardless of who bought it, the car was exported. I wonder where this puts that dealership...?
​​​​​​

64drvr 11-11-2021 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by CamsC8 (Post 1604297512)
It's for resale too in Canada, not just exporting. The crazy thing is that we can't control who we sell to...guy or gal could be an exporter and pretend to be an enthusiast. But GM doesn't seem to care.

If you buy the car new from a Canadian dealer, are you still restricted? Or is this just for a Canadian buyer purchasing from a US dealer?

CamsC8 11-11-2021 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by lrobe22 (Post 1604297635)
If you buy the car new from a Canadian dealer, are you still restricted? Or is this just for a Canadian buyer purchasing from a US dealer?

Buying from a CDN dealership? I didn't think US buyers could...

I'm not sure whether CDNs are restricted from buying new in the US but with the 6.1% duty and taxes plus currency exchange I'm thinking it's prohibitive.

Phil1098 11-11-2021 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by CamsC8 (Post 1604297623)
Ok that's good but here's the catch wearing the dealership hat. John Smith comes in and doesn't appear to be on an exporter list. He is sold a C8 or Z06. John sells to someone else who happens to be an exporter.

This exact situation is where, regardless of who bought it, the car was exported. I wonder where this puts that dealership...?
​​​​​​

Pretty sure it's more for the dealership directly, I.E. some sheik from the middle east calls the dealer and says he'll pay a handsome profit to sell him the car. If the dealer does this and it gets loaded on a boat, the dealer is going to have a BIG problem with GM. If a USA customer buys the car and it is registered in his name, the dealer is out of that loop.

Marcho Polo 11-11-2021 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by CamsC8 (Post 1604297623)

​​​​​​

if John Smith paid the taxes and registered the car, then the dealer should not have anything to worry about, right?

64drvr 11-11-2021 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by CamsC8 (Post 1604297684)
Buying from a CDN dealership? I didn't think US buyers could...

I'm not sure whether CDNs are restricted from buying new in the US but with the 6.1% duty and taxes plus currency exchange I'm thinking it's prohibitive.

For clarification, my question was you to specifically as a Canadian buyer; whether your question was you buying from a US dealer, Canadian dealer, or if it even made a difference.

CamsC8 11-11-2021 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by lrobe22 (Post 1604297889)
For clarification, my question was you to specifically as a Canadian buyer; whether your question was you buying from a US dealer, Canadian dealer, or if it even made a difference.

Correct as a Canadian buyer

*89x2* 11-11-2021 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Phil1098 (Post 1604297844)
Pretty sure it's more for the dealership directly, If the dealer does this and it gets loaded on a boat, the dealer is going to have a BIG problem with GM. If a USA customer buys the car and it is registered in his name, the dealer is out of that loop.

:iagree: It's always been about out of country sales. Same goes for US to Canada sales, but to a lesser extent vs. overseas.

Jeffthunbird 11-11-2021 08:48 PM

Ive had my 2020 for over a year and 3000 miles. I’ll do what I want with it. If GM wants to blacklist me, go for it. I’ll buy a 911 or a Mustang or a Challenger or all 3.

mazurekd 11-11-2021 09:15 PM

MM called me and requested a copy of my registration. Thought that was very strange, someone else phishing for personal data, so I hung up. Wrote MM asking if it was a legitimate call and request, and yes, it was. I guess I’ll do it, but it was really GM’s demand on MM to do so. I assume it has to do with flippers, but even more, exporters.

Tactical-Speed 11-11-2021 09:42 PM

Sounds like BS to me, but if true, does Gm think they now sell the McLaren P1?

Dominic Sorresso 11-11-2021 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Phil1098 (Post 1604297538)

“Gray market” was rampant in the 80’s which the OEMs put a halt to.

416vette 11-12-2021 09:12 AM

Those who aren't speculators or flippers shouldn't have a problem with an "Right of First Refusal". Most Pcar dealers in the GTA have gone to this method with new buyers and some previous owners. Lot's of cars being shipped out overseas and ultimately, that hurts the local market as we (our respective dealers) would receive less cars as a form of punishment.