CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Gm certified c7 grand sport sold with cracked wheel. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4605597-gm-certified-c7-grand-sport-sold-with-cracked-wheel.html)

1SlowC5 01-30-2022 12:51 PM

Gm certified c7 grand sport sold with cracked wheel.

I am pretty livid . My parents bought a used 2019 Corvette Grand Sport from a Chevrolet dealer about 3 hours away from them. The car was sold as being gm certified. They even said they did the inspection. Car drives and looks great. We drive it back home and about 5 minutes from their house we have to put air in the tire. I think no big deal, I’ll look at it for them today. I jack it up and pull the wheel and tire off and the wheel is already marked in white paint pen with 3 arrows going to 3 different cracks. On top of that someone tried to silicone the cracks up. I know stuff can happen but when I asked them the salesman and his boss both said that the car being certified they had already looked it over. No way they should have missed this.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ed355336c.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...203a1aece.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f2ee491bb.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8adc07e57.jpeg

JUICEBOX 01-30-2022 12:53 PM

Shitty dealer, welcome to the club though.

St.Char 01-30-2022 01:14 PM

No exceptions, the car is GM certified, bet they already knew about it and probably read somewhere on the internet about the silicone fix. Your parents are lucky that you knew what to look for. Good Luck with the stealership.

jaiyenyen 01-30-2022 01:20 PM

At the least make them replace the wheel or threaten with a lawsuit for knowlingly selling an unsafe vehicle which had supposedly been inspected.

miami08VETTE 01-30-2022 01:22 PM

Do you have paperwork clearly indicating the status as GM Certified? If it was verbal then good luck getting the Dealer to own up to this. Good Luck, hate to see this kind of stuff..

1SlowC5 01-30-2022 01:44 PM

Yep, signed paperwork from Chevrolet dealer. Gm certified 12 month warranty

miami08VETTE 01-30-2022 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1SlowC5 (Post 1604663795)
Yep, signed paperwork from Chevrolet dealer. Gm certified 12 month warranty

Thats good news... Get on that dealer to make things right. Remind them that a failure on those wheels could cause catastrophic consequences for all involved. Also reach out to GM Exec support via mary.barra@gm.com. She's the CEO of GM.Detail your situation. They will at least respond. It got me a new M7 transmission! Good Luck...

Purple92 01-30-2022 03:05 PM

YEP ! The car wasn't inspected ... We can have a discussion about if someone was paid to do an inspection - but fundamentally it wasn't done, or if it was done, it was done so superficially that it was basically meaninless.

Cracked wheels are a VERY COMMON problem on the C& Z06's & Grand Sports. Do a search on the Forum, and you will find hundreds if not thousands of Wide Body C7 owners who have run into this problem. So the real question is what should your father do about it... If you put another factory wheel on there - the odds are pretty high that this will happen again - in fact, it would not be at all surprising to find another wheel on your fathers car is also cracked or bent.

The solution is to go with aftermarket forged wheels - not saying that they are immune to cracking - but the vast majority of owners who have gone that route seem to be rid of their cracking problems.

My Chevy CPO Story - I bought a '12 CPO GS Vette in 2015 from a dealer about 100 miles away. Got it home, and a few weeks later went to take off one wheel for something. The wheels had locking lugs on them, and the locking lug key was just not in the car. I called the Chevy Dealer who sold me the car. The sales guy talked to the service manager - and I was told the only thing they would do for me is to give me four OEM lug nuts ... So - they either took the wheels off the car (which is supposed to be part of the CPO inspection to check brake pad thickness) - reinstalled the locking lugs, and forgot to put the key for the locking lugs back in the car), or they never pulled any wheel off - despite marking down that brake pad thickness was just fine. I certainly can't prove which one happened, but my money is that they never took a wheel off.

Vette Jockey 01-30-2022 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by miami08VETTE (Post 1604663895)
Thats good news... Get on that dealer to make things right. Remind them that a failure on those wheels could cause catastrophic consequences for all involved. Also reach out to GM Exec support via mary.barra@gm.com. She's the CEO of GM.Detail your situation. They will at least respond. It got me a new M7 transmission! Good Luck.

Very good advice! :thumbs:

Sorry, to read this! Since, they tried to pass this off, i would try to get them to replace all four with forged wheels. :cheers:

ThomasR 01-30-2022 04:30 PM

Have all 4 wheels inspected and ask for money back. Buy aftermarket forged wheels.

EVRGRN 01-30-2022 05:43 PM

I'm guessing the only way to receive any compensation is if the dealer does something "to make it right". That would be an exceptional dealer if they do.

I dont think the GM certified 12 month warranty would cover this since the original 36 month new car warranty doesn't cover damaged wheels.

1SlowC5 01-30-2022 07:29 PM

Thank you for all your advice. I will give the dealer a chance in the morning and see what they say. Yeah, from reading I see that Gm will not warranty the cracked wheels which is a shame with so many that are cracked. Cannot believe for the price they do not come with forged wheels, especially being as wide as they are.(crazy my polaris slr slingshot comes with fully forged aluminum. wheels but a grandsport or z06 does not?). The part the makes me mad is the fact the car was listed as being gm certified( which they did try to charge for once we got down there). The sales agent and the sales manager both stated it had the 172 point inspection done. They even made a second key before we could leave because they said all gm certified cars have to come with 2 key fobs. Once I pulled the wheel off this morning it was clear as day with the three paint pen arrows pointing to the cracks plus the silicone. Cannot believe they let that car off their lot.

And miami08vette thank you for that email. I will send one if the dealer does not make this right.

Vette Jockey 01-30-2022 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by 1SlowC5 (Post 1604665115)
Thank you for all your advice. I will give the dealer a chance in the morning and see what they say. Yeah, from reading I see that Gm will not warranty the cracked wheels which is a shame with so many that are cracked.

I do not know about Texas, California has a Bureau that you can report a Dealership through. We had a Dealer sell us a car with a clean carfax and had been in an accident, they made them correct the deal. Your car was sold with a safety defect, someone obviously knew about. Check and see if Texas has one. If they do, that may add to your leverage. :cheers:

Vetteman Jack 01-30-2022 10:23 PM

Best of luck with the dealer - I hope they will come through for you and make this right.

449er 01-31-2022 04:53 AM

The dealer either didn't pull that wheel off or they did & ignored the markings during their "inspection", either way they owe you a wheel, good luck anyway

YO-EL 01-31-2022 06:07 AM

Is it possible they were supposed to replace the wheel (markings) and just never did?
Maybe 2 techs at different times doing the inspection? Each assumed the wheels were looked at?

mdformula350 01-31-2022 06:18 AM

you have a very good case to get another wheel at least the the min, completed bs if nothing is done and I was start legal options for sure just for the principle of the thing. also could always go to more corporate regional levels of gm to talk.
such a shame they even put that through, clearly it was marked as an issue.
good luck.

matter of fact i would pull all the rims to inspect to ensure no other cracks in the making are on the other rims. but it seems to just be the one since the air pressure only changed on that one.

NashvilleGrandSport 01-31-2022 07:35 AM

As a potential negotiating tool, which really should not be required here as the dealer should make this right no questions asked, House of Wheels can provide a replacement OEM wheel for far less than GM would charge.
https://www.houseofwheelsonline.com/

I just received replacement aftermarket wheels (Cray Spiders) for my 2017 GS as one of my rear OEM wheels cracked. House of Wheels quouted $575 delivered for a OEM chrome wheel. I elected to go aftermarket, and I already had Cray Makos for my winter set of All Season tires.

Tinkertech 01-31-2022 08:16 AM

The real question that should be answered here is:

WHO IS THE DEALER ?

fake 01-31-2022 08:40 AM

Get a lawyer who drives a Lexus and lives in China Town!