CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Trouble in Grand Sport C6 world (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4639543-trouble-in-grand-sport-c6-world.html)

notnuts16 05-28-2022 08:27 PM

Trouble in Grand Sport C6 world

Driving my 2011 Grand Sport convertable last night, 57,000 miles, manual transmission, the traction control light and a check engine light came on. The engine now has a bad miss but all the gauges are reading properly. Is there a way to read the codes or diagnose the issue? I know on my C5, i could go in to the DIC and read codes.

mike72 05-28-2022 08:33 PM

You will need a code reader for the C6.

FAUEE 05-28-2022 08:36 PM

Before you go too nuts... Check the plug wires.

But yeah, code reader. Auto parts stores can do it, or you can buy a cheap Bluetooth one.

Let It Ride 05-28-2022 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1605197702)
Before you go too nuts... Check the plug wires.

But yeah, code reader. Auto parts stores can do it, or you can buy a cheap Bluetooth one.

The tried and true method on the forum for a miss on a C6 Corvette. Always works! :cheers:

TorchRedFred 05-28-2022 08:40 PM

Check your plug wires. There has been more than one example of a plug wire coming loose and causing similar symptoms. It might not be the case, but always check for the simple solutions first.

Edit: Fauee beat me to it. My wife was yapping away and it took me too long to send my post. :rofl:

notnuts16 05-28-2022 08:51 PM

THe plug wires was the first thing i checked. I had that happen on my C5 once. But anyway, I will have to get a code reader. I didnt think that a check engine light would trigger the traction control system.

Thanks for the quick responses.

FAUEE 05-28-2022 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by notnuts16 (Post 1605197756)
THe plug wires was the first thing i checked. I had that happen on my C5 once. But anyway, I will have to get a code reader. I didnt think that a check engine light would trigger the traction control system.

Misfire codes (like from the plug wires) will. Guess how I know...

slothman 05-28-2022 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by notnuts16 (Post 1605197756)

in that case, I would spend a little on the higher side for more functions ...probably about $600 but worth its weight in gold ....Xtool d8 for example, or equivalent

W-5 Ret. 05-29-2022 05:30 AM

Something that I just went through may be in your car too, ensure fob batteries are good and car battery is good. We all know it can cause all kind of weird issues on C-6’s. Plays havoc on the sensors, check grounds are all good too for same reasons. Lastly if you have a power telescoping steering wheel the angle sensor may have come unplugged., will trigger active handling warning.

449er 05-29-2022 05:54 AM

Time to invest in a code reader, they are an invaluable tool for these cars

C6ToGo 05-29-2022 10:24 AM

If you have the ability to work on cars yourself, skip the $20 code reader and go with a $100+ scan tool (with ABS and SRS code reading).

With all the research you can do on the internet, scan tools that display all the descriptions are not as important but the ability to get live data and emissions readiness for inspections can be helpful.

notnuts16 05-30-2022 06:02 PM

Found the problem

After checking the wires on the spark plugs, and found no issues, I checked the wires on the coil pack and found #3 cylinder had come off. Plugged it back in and all is good. I would not have guessed that a misfire would trigger the traction control system to fault.
On a side note, when I went into my garage Friday, I have a seperate 2 stall garage for both COrvettes, there was a horrible smell of something DEAD. I keep both cars covered with nylon covers and it didn't seem like the smell was coming from one of them. After going thru the entire shop and still not finding the source of the odor, I removed both covers and put them outside. I then noticed that the smell had moved outside. After shaking out the one cover, a dead chipmunk fell out of the cover and it was nasty. I am guessing that when the door was open sometime, he ran in and failed to find the way out before the door closed. Not quite sure how he got in the cover but glad he didn't get into one of the cars and stink it up.

Dano523 05-30-2022 06:14 PM

Need to get some dielectric grease and a few Q tip.
One at a time, pull the spark plug wires off the coils, apply a small amount of dielectric grease to the inside of the boots, and push them back on.

The grease will allow the air to escape out of the boots as you reinstall them, instead of not escaping to build up pressure, that the pressure just increases as the engine gets hotter, to blow the wires off the coils instead. Same goes for the spark plug boots as well.

1320#me 05-30-2022 06:43 PM

I had my car shut off twice by itself twice while driving at low speed on Saturday afternoon. Low engine power came on the display as well as the check engine light. It was a battery cable that came a little lose. I would never have guessed that but as I was taking off the cables to test the battery I discovered it. Cleaned them both and drove 25 miles today with no issue. Sometimes it is the easy things.

Garyg51 03-01-2023 09:37 PM

Harmonic balancer??

6 Shooter 03-01-2023 10:46 PM

Always enjoy seeing old threads woke up :cheers:

VetteVinnie 03-01-2023 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by 6 Shooter (Post 1606336495)

Especially threads I've participated in. I've owned six Corvettes (two C5s, four C6s) since joining Corvette Forum, so you never know what will eventually come back to haunt you. :lol:

Squeaky Wheel 03-02-2023 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 6 Shooter (Post 1606336495)

And (as seems to be a lot cases on this forum) no follow up on what was found to be the problem or it’s cure. Advice on things to check is plentiful, and certainly welcomed, but wish participants would chime in with more follow up once their problems were resolved.

opps…. Never mind. I see the original poster did that. I apologize. My bad!