CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   An Observation... Water vs Waterless Washing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4671410-an-observation-water-vs-waterless-washing.html)

Zormecteon 09-15-2022 07:28 PM

An Observation... Water vs Waterless Washing

Mine is ceramic coated. For the most part during the too hot weather (as in the paint should be cool to the touch hot) I've been using Waterless Car Wash or Simply Ceramic Detailer to keep the car clean. (Corvette Rule # XX--Thou shalt not drive a dirty car).

Well, yesterday I got the real car wash and washed it with WATER. It makes a difference! The car shines brightly. I believe that some part of the difference is that all the little edges -as around the trunk lid, the doors, etc, get washed with soap instead of passed over by wiping off of the waterless or detailing spray.

Just an observation.

RKCRLR 09-15-2022 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Zormecteon (Post 1605679999)
Mine is ceramic coated. For the most part during the too hot weather (as in the paint should be cool to the touch hot) I've been using Waterless Car Wash or Simply Ceramic Detailer to keep the car clean. (Corvette Rule # XX--Thou shalt not drive a dirty car).

Well, yesterday I got the real car wash and washed it with WATER. It makes a difference! The car shines brightly. I believe that some part of the difference is that all the little edges -as around the trunk lid, the doors, etc, get washed with soap instead of passed over by wiping off of the waterless or detailing spray.

Just an observation.

That is one of the reasons I use a rinseless wash with soaking wet microfiber cloths. I don't find a rinseless wash much more effort than a waterless wash.

Kevin A Jones 09-15-2022 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Zormecteon (Post 1605679999)
Just an observation.

I agree, and have always hand wash my vehicles with water the old fashion way and am very please with the results.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c8c3b66714.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...2662ea9c00.jpg

Red Mist Rulz 09-16-2022 04:59 PM

The detailer that I use occasionally says the water is your friend. It acts as a lubricant to separate dirt from the paint, and helps prevent scratching from dirt that's stuck either to the paint or your waterless wash applicator.

Agree with RKCRLR on rinseless wash. Quick, easy, and unless the car is really dirty what I normally do. In cold weather, I do it in the garage. No hose needed. Just lots of microfiber towels. Google "Gary Dean Method" if you want to learn more about it. (Some of his videos show him hosing the car down first, but that's optional. You can use a spray bottle to lubricate the paint a section at a time.)

RonnieC6Z 09-16-2022 05:15 PM

My car never sees soap. I had it ceramic coated with C-quartz pro the first week of ownership. (21 months ago, daily driver). Every 2 weeks I hose it down with a pretty strong stream of water, then dry it with quality micro fiber towels and then hit any spots that need hitting with a touch of detail spray and micro fiber towel. That's it. My car shines and feels as it did 21 months ago. Also, never, and I mean never, wash your car in any sunlight.

peter pan 09-16-2022 06:00 PM

Even easier to maintain when 100% PPFand ceramic coated.

FlyinLow 09-16-2022 08:27 PM

Check out this video from Pan the Organizer on youtube. I've watched many of his videos, he is a professional detailer in Canada, no nonsense, infomative, I've learned a ton of stuff watching his video's, learned more about detailing from him over a weekend than I've learned the last 20 years.

AdventurePoser 09-16-2022 08:39 PM

As a newbie with a new C8, I'm looking at all the options for waterless washing as I have a dirt driveway, LOL

VolsandVettes 09-16-2022 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z (Post 1605683620)
My car never sees soap. I had it ceramic coated with C-quartz pro the first week of ownership. (21 months ago, daily driver). Every 2 weeks I hose it down with a pretty strong stream of water, then dry it with quality micro fiber towels and then hit any spots that need hitting with a touch of detail spray and micro fiber towel. That's it. My car shines and feels as it did 21 months ago. Also, never, and I mean never, wash your car in any sunlight.

why can’t you wash your car in sunlight? If using Ph neutral soap, what’s the problem?

Avanti 09-16-2022 10:38 PM

"...Waterless Washing"... an oxymoron for nearly all but dry-cleaning. :yesnod: :lol:

SoCal C8 09-17-2022 01:27 AM

Revivify ceramic coating, never washed with water since delivery (5/2021). Just use a waterless wash and top off the blinker fluid.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...be646227a.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...901f0ee22.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...bbce87c1b.jpeg

activevette 09-17-2022 07:11 AM

I wouldn't even consider washing the car without water and soap. Grind the dirt in with a towel and some detailer? You are scratching the paint surface regardless of what you think.

No thanks.

Foosh 09-17-2022 10:35 AM

Technically, there is such thing as a "waterless" wash product since they are all approximately 98% water.

dohabandit 09-17-2022 12:03 PM

That's a neat video, but you will never see me run a cloth, sponge, or anything across the BOTTOM of a panel and then move to wiping down the top without first rinsing that sponge or cloth in my rinse bucket. I doubt anyone will ever convince me that that two bucket method isn't warranted.

d16dcoe45 09-19-2022 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by activevette (Post 1605685199)
I wouldn't even consider washing the car without water and soap. Grind the dirt in with a towel and some detailer? You are scratching the paint surface regardless of what you think.

No thanks.

Actually, waterless wash (like pretty much all of the boutique brands sell) works better than a soap and water wash. No matter how careful you are--even with a three bucket method, you are picking as fine silt and spreading it into finish. And water is a TERRIBLE lubricant (ask a anyone who works on steam engines)

And if you are drying with a chamois or towel of ANY kind, you are scratching WAY MORE than any waterless wash/micro fiber towel! Heated air dryer only!!

And if you are going to use water, I would NEVER use a pressure washer (ever again--I used one for years until I wised up) to beat your paint and trim into submission. Pressure washers are for mud boggers and sand drag racers, NOT for cars usually need a light cleaning

Zormecteon 09-19-2022 05:20 PM

In the original post I didn't mention that I've been using a Foaming Sprayer. Not attached to a pressure washer, just a garden hose, then use the hose nozzle to rinse... No wiping except to dry with microfibre drying towels.

Foosh 09-20-2022 11:25 AM

A low pressure power washer (under 2K psi) is a great tool, and if you keep the nozzle at least 2-3 ft away from the surface, you're not power washing or doing anything different than a garden hose spray nozzle. You get quicker and better coverage and use 50-70% less water. That's important when using a spotless water system like I do. I use that method for "dusting" the car when it's not otherwise dirty. That's safer for paint than using detailer spray.

However, most of the time I use the rinseless wash method with microfiber towels soaked in a bucket with the mixture. I soak about 8 towels, and use a new one for every panel.

JimB. 09-20-2022 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1605696870)
A low pressure power washer (under 2K psi) is a great tool, and if you keep the nozzle at least 2-3 ft away from the surface, you're not power washing or doing anything different than a garden hose spray nozzle. You get quicker and better coverage and use 50-70% less water. That's important when using a spotless water system like I do. I use that method for "dusting" the car when it's not otherwise dirty. That's safer for paint than using detailer spray.

However, most of the time I use the rinseless wash method with microfiber towels soaked in a bucket with the mixture. I soak about 8 towels, and use a new one for every panel.

Foosh, what’s your go-to rinseless wash solution? I know there are a lot of different brands, all claiming to be the best. Thx.

Foosh 09-20-2022 01:03 PM

@JimB. I'm pretty happy with this. 1oz. mixed with 2 gallons of water does a great job.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8a0f2d0d4a.jpg

corvetteflier 09-20-2022 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by activevette (Post 1605685199)

No thanks.

Same here. I use a duster and then Maguire's or Mothers detailer where the dust collects. Black car, so every 2 to maybe 3 weeks, I'll wash it with Maguire's wash and wax because you do get a film even if you keep it "dusted." Also use Maguire's wax and dry on top surfaces. Really makes the black metallic paint pop. Did a great job on my Torch Red '18, as well.