CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-z06-zr1-zora-discussion-187/)
-   -   Do you honestly like the sound? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-z06-zr1-zora-discussion/4687343-do-you-honestly-like-the-sound.html)

RapidC84B 11-14-2022 05:18 PM

Do you honestly like the sound?

Do you like it over a well tuned cross-plane V8, or do you just like it because it's "Ferrari"? I find myself watching videos repeatedly telling myself to like it, but I can't stop hearing a 4-cylinder S2000. The car doesn't have quite the same sound of a Ferrari F-355 or 458; possibly due to being 5.5 liters?

While not a deal-killer, I honestly prefer a high strung CPC. I understand how the FPC facilitated the massive NA power etc., but it doesn't make the the hair on my neck stanad-up. Granted I have yet to hear one in person as they refused to start it at both reveals I went to.

MitchAlsup 11-14-2022 05:24 PM

Yes, the pitch is better, it sounds tighter, it revs much faster, makes better noise;

We don't need not lub-dub..........

capevettes 11-14-2022 05:35 PM

I've heard 2 in person. They make a nice high pitched sound and a burble on deceleration. Honestly, I think my 22 HTC with AWE Track exhaust sounds more muscular. Definitely louder.
Full disclosure, I'm not happy that I'm not getting one any time soon.

Les 11-14-2022 05:35 PM

I'd really need to hear one in person to know for sure. I doubt that I'll like it at idle from what I can tell so far. I'd love to hear one ripping through the gears around a road course. That would define the sound for me. Bottom line- if the car performs on track like I think it will, the sound would neither seal nor break the deal. I damn sure wouldn't spend the money just to hear it. It needs to deliver the performance.

smithers 11-14-2022 05:38 PM

Yeah, I like it quite a lot. I heard a cold start at one of the dealer tour stops (I stayed until the very end just for that lol) and some revs to redline at Carlisle. It sounds great to me. It's very similar to the 458 in person.. just a slightly deeper tone.

A few years ago I drove a 458 for a bit. The sound that car made stuck with me more than anything else about it. I'm glad to have that sound coming my way in the Z06. I've always thought the more classic small block chevy muscle car sound always seemed out of place in modern Corvettes.

ZRacerLE 11-14-2022 05:48 PM

I don't mind it, but I prefer the traditional American V8 sound.

OnPoint 11-14-2022 05:52 PM

The idle turned out sounding better than I feared it would. FPC V8s sound like shit at idle (i.e. the 458s tinny, flat idle), but the C8 Z sounds better. Displacement probably helped with that. IMO they all sound pretty decent under load and in the upper registers - just different than CPC. I'm actually relieved the idle sound came out better than the usual FPC V8 crap idle.

My guess is the ZR will go CPC, but will be muffled a good bit by TT. So, we'll still likely get an exotic CPC mill. Will be fun to have one of each.

z28lt1 11-14-2022 05:55 PM

I love it, but it will take some time to get used to it being a Corvette sound. The traditional small block "rumble" is what my brain associates with Corvettes.

I've taken the kids to a lot of IMSA races and the one thing about the C5-C7 race cars was you always knew which one was the Corvette by sound. You could hear it coming, and know it was one of the Corvettes before you ever saw it -- think by 5 my youngest knew that sound and when it was coming even with the ear protection on. But the C8.R is totally different (and won't be exactly like the street car but similar). I like it a lot. It just doesn't say "Corvette" to me, and that along with needing to put the RPMs in the car will be a big adjustment, mentally. I'm pretty convinced it will be fantastic, but won't really know until I've put some miles on it (once it finally comes).

international blue 11-14-2022 06:10 PM

I love the classic American V8 sound from 1967-72. The new "muscle" cars have poor sounding exhausts and lousy timing. Top of the hate list is the Mustang or Dodges for me...they just sound like a loud blathering "blah". The new Z06 id different and on song, really sounds wonderful. I always wanted a 1980's turbo F1 car and I think this is as close as I get!

AustinVetter 11-14-2022 06:18 PM

I love both but like that there is something more Ferrari-esque. I will have my Challenger SRT with straight pipes and 6 speed for that insanely good traditional V8 sound and for rowing the gears which I cannot live without.

Tray333 11-14-2022 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by RapidC84B (Post 1605908988)
Do you like it over a well tuned cross-plane V8, or do you just like it because it's "Ferrari"? I find myself watching videos repeatedly telling myself to like it, but I can't stop hearing a 4-cylinder S2000. The car doesn't have quite the same sound of a Ferrari F-355 or 458; possibly due to being 5.5 liters?

While not a deal-killer, I honestly prefer a high strung CPC. I understand how the FPC facilitated the massive NA power etc., but it doesn't make the the hair on my neck stanad-up. Granted I have yet to hear one in person as they refused to start it at both reveals I went to.

Not a fan of it either, throaty exhaust note has been attached to Corvette since the 265 in 55, which falls way short of the new c8z06. However at least the 5.5 makes sound, the upcoming electric version will absolutely be foreign to the ears.

Number 9 11-14-2022 06:27 PM

Honestly I love both the CPC burble and the FPC scream, as long as they are loud. Lol! I do think the LT6 sounds appropriate for the mid engine design.

hcvone 11-14-2022 06:33 PM

I think the sound my 2019 ZR1's with full Akrapovic exhaust would be a tough exhaust note to beat

JillyBean 11-14-2022 06:39 PM

The LOC exhaust on my Gallardo sounded better to most than the 458 exhaust note.
I like the Vivid exhaust on my 2020 C8 better than the new Z exhaust sound.
Deeper and more burps and gurgles.:)

vivasantana 11-14-2022 06:42 PM

I don't but I am old school.

Rock on Santana! Rock on!
Six decades strong!

93 Vette
74 Capri MK1

pfg1 11-14-2022 06:58 PM

The best sound ever was a 1969 Z28 with chambered exhaust. 30/30 cam. Truly music. But those days are over and I force myself to live in the present. The LT6 has no hair dryers or supercharger so it has a bit of a cam sound which is pleasing to me. Making power with forced induction is simpler than normally aspirated. GM has done an amazing job with this engine, especially if you watch the video which tells of all the racing components and advanced induction technologies. Just my opinion.

rob62 11-14-2022 07:22 PM

No.

Shokosugi 11-14-2022 07:32 PM

The 458 is perfection. I don’t think it will be as perfect as that, but I’ll take it over the classic American burble of the Stingray. This last ICE Z06 is deserving of something special, not more of the same. It won’t show you much revving in parking lots but I’m sure it’s going to sound beautiful blasting up and down the gears.

JABCAT 11-14-2022 07:35 PM

I haven't been a fan of the sound since the first vids were leaked. I honestly think most say they like it simply because they associate the sound with Ferrari (though Ferrari still sound better). When everything starts to, insert sound, look, feel, drive, etc., the same, then it all becomes vanilla & boring. As another poster said, you can distinguish the previous Corvette R cars from all other cars on the track & that was cool.

My kids & I still play that game driving down the highway trying to identify the car rippin up behind us by its sound. The Z sounds weak at idle and like a civic putzing around a parking lot (like most will drive them).

To be fair, I don't think the LT2 sounds all that great either.

meadowz06 11-14-2022 08:17 PM

I love the sound. But I also love the sound of my 22 C8. Both are great, just different.