CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Rear Camera - Blurry in Rain + More (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4699291-rear-camera-blurry-in-rain-more.html)

unknownally 01-04-2023 11:16 AM

Rear Camera - Blurry in Rain + More

I just financed a C7 a month ago and am still figuring out what quirks are normal and vise versa.

This is how my rear camera looks in the rain:
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ff803ce94.jpeg

If I give it a good wipe with IPA, it looks clear, but after 5 minutes of driving, it will be blurry again.

During a clear day, it will be hazy. The exhaust smoke will block the whole screen to where I can’t see any better than when it’s a rainy day. This happens even after the car has been warmed up and driven around. It doesn’t seem to change no matter the wind direction, to the best of my knowledge.

1. Is this common with C7s?

2. How much of a challenge is it to replace the rear camera? (I will search but a quick answer here would be greatly appreciated in the meantime)

mharris1984 01-04-2023 11:40 AM

I notice, when its cold/rainy here in PHX the past few weeks, when I put in reverse, you see the exhaust come up to the cam when you back up annnndddd FOGGED OUT. Useless in rain/cold weather... the exhaust location fogs up the lens right away!

Vetteman Jack 01-04-2023 11:42 AM

When water and dirt get on the lens of the camera, it will create a blurry image. Not much you can do about it other than keep cleaning the lens.

If the camera works well when the lens is clear, there is no need to do any replacement.

Travlee 01-04-2023 11:50 AM

putting some wax on it may help it run off easier, but mine does the same thing

Kevin A Jones 01-04-2023 11:50 AM

I agree with the above, if water, dirt, exhaust is blocking lens camera is going to be blurry on any vehicle.

BWF07 01-04-2023 12:13 PM

It is the same on my 2017 and also my wife's Equinox. It is just water on the lens. Will be fine after the rain.

squirrelchew 01-04-2023 12:16 PM

this is common for any backup camera that isn't intelligently designed, like the VW ones that pop out of the emblem.

Power Hawk 01-04-2023 12:20 PM

The camera on our 2022 Murano is incredibly clear in dry weather, however when it rains it is blurry. I don't know what can be done about these back-up cameras in the rain to make them clear.

Red08 01-04-2023 12:27 PM

That is common on vehicles. Our Honda Pilot does the same thing

Akcajunz 01-04-2023 12:46 PM

I installed the trunk monkey, so when I open the rear hatch with the button next to my left knee, he gets out, wipes the camera dry and jumps back in.:rofl: It took some time to teach him how to close the hatch once he was back in.

mdolandese 01-04-2023 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Travlee (Post 1606106040)
putting some wax on it may help it run off easier, but mine does the same thing

:iagree:Try a little ceramic coating, more hydrophobic than wax or a glass sealant or rain x .

Bill Dearborn 01-04-2023 01:39 PM

The rear camera doesn't need to be particularly great from a focus standpoint. All it needs to do is provide enough visibility to let you know there are objects behind you. The picture may be smeary but you can usually tell if you are going to back into something. People and objects make look like blurry blobs but do you really want to back into a blurry blob?

Bill

unknownally 01-04-2023 01:58 PM

I did not have this issue with a 2017 Toyota Corolla or a 2015 Hyundai Kona.

The cameras on those were just above the license plate but were covered from the elements at the top, where the trunk handle would be. Completely different vehicles, I know.

The C7’s camera seems to be just as covered as the Corolla and Kona. It does sit really close to the exhaust though. There is a plastic-like film that covers the lens on the C7’s camera that looks to be wearing, I think.

I can’t make out anything on the camera. Even if an object was nearby. I don’t mind backing up the old fashion way but when things need replacing, I itch to replace them :smash:

mharris1984 01-04-2023 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Akcajunz (Post 1606106270)
I installed the trunk monkey, so when I open the rear hatch with the button next to my left knee, he gets out, wipes the camera dry and jumps back in.:rofl: It took some time to teach him how to close the hatch once he was back in.

LMAO! I remember the trunk monkey commercials from years ago.... and the anti theft trunk monkey, haha

orca1946 01-04-2023 02:58 PM

YUP! And when it's dark the brake lights wash out the view??!!
My Honda CR-V has a much better camera!

unknownally 01-04-2023 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Akcajunz (Post 1606106270)

LMAO I didn’t see this comment until now

Juju2002 01-04-2023 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by mharris1984 (Post 1606105991)
I notice, when its cold/rainy here in PHX the past few weeks, when I put in reverse, you see the exhaust come up to the cam when you back up annnndddd FOGGED OUT. Useless in rain/cold weather... the exhaust location fogs up the lens right away!

yup. And since my first car was a mustang with a rear camera im absolutely useless when it comes to reversing without one

DrivesWithTwoFeet 01-04-2023 05:47 PM

You will notice that the rear of the car becomes very dirty before the rest of the car. Lots of air movement back there that makes it dirty fast. I just give the lens a quick wipe if there is an issue between washes. Maybe clean the lens and post a picture if you think the lens coating is deteriorating.

SGM Snake 01-04-2023 09:32 PM

My current two vehicles do the same.
I think it would be common on anything.
If someone can design or come up with something better they would get rich

Kevin A Jones 01-05-2023 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Juju2002 (Post 1606107268)
yup. And since my first car was a mustang with a rear camera im absolutely useless when it comes to reversing without one

I don't think I would admit that as we have been backing vehicles up for 100 years with just rear view and side mirrors prior to back-up cameras. Yes, some vehicles are more difficult than others, however it's not rocket science.