CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   [C2] Go with Side Pipes Yes or No (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4708560-go-with-side-pipes-yes-or-no.html)

Vega$Vette 02-08-2023 07:59 PM

Go with Side Pipes Yes or No

My 67 BBC Coupe has through the rear exhaust. I like the way it sounds inside the car.

I love the look of Side Pipes on C2s. I love the sound of side pipes outside the car.

Thinking of going with Side Pipe GM Sound. Looking a about $4k to do the swap.

Yes or No and Why?

Thanks

Bluestripe67 02-08-2023 08:02 PM

You better ride/drive someone's BB with side exhaust first. It might be a bit loud. :cheers: Dennis

Nowhere Man 02-08-2023 08:02 PM

nope. I like the look and sound going though the gears. but to me the sound gets old real quick while driving

KingRat 02-08-2023 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette (Post 1606250171)
My 67 BBC Coupe has through the rear exhaust. I like the way it sounds inside the car.

I love the look of Side Pipes on C2s. I love the sound of side pipes outside the car.

Thinking of going with Side Pipe GM Sound. Looking a about $4k to do the swap.

Yes or No and Why?

Thanks

Side exhaust are cool to look at. Side exhaust sound great. Side exhaust robs power. Duntov preferred the N11 off road exhaust because the engines breath better through the lower restriction exhaust.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...omparison.html

Vega$Vette 02-08-2023 08:12 PM

I have N11 exhaust now.

KingRat 02-08-2023 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette (Post 1606250207)
I have N11 exhaust now.

Will you be disappointed if you feel a loss in power due to a gain in looks and sound?

Unless you put a set of these fat boys on your car:
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c73f127cd0.jpg

67:72 02-08-2023 08:19 PM

Here's a short video of my side-exhaust '67 427/390 with the driver's window up. It's a pretty accurate level of sound quality. It's not terribly loud on hard acceleration but I would have to raise my voice to speak with a passenger. I converted my car from underneath to side 30+years a go and absolutely love the sound. That said, these pipes are over-the-counter GM pipes. There are current reproduction pipe makers whose pipes are loud and brash and others whose pipes are more in line with the mellower GM sound. My point is to be aware that different vendors may offer different sound qualities.

vettefred 02-08-2023 08:21 PM

Yep, side exhausts are loud. Yes they rob a bit of power BUT there is no sound like side exhaust. Raw and menacing. It gets peoples attention.... especially when folks see one of our cars coming down the street. They get excited! I always get a smile on my face when driving my 427 and hearing the engine sing. No radio....don't need it on, the exhaust is my music.

It is especially nice on the highway as I have a six speed so engine revs are low and engine exhaust noise is minimized. I would not change mine at all. I like the sound......it is a matter of choice. You want a quiet Corvette or a rip snorting beast? LOL.

ChrisBlair 02-08-2023 08:29 PM

Been in a 66 L79 with sidepipes and it was not obnoxious at all
Been in a 66 with a 350 and sidepipes and it was borderline brutal

Quick observation:

It depends...

Vega$Vette 02-08-2023 08:30 PM

Cool. I do have a TKX 5 speed.

elwood13 02-08-2023 08:44 PM

How about some electric cut outs? You can have loud and quiet. I’m looking at installing those.

OC-1 02-08-2023 08:48 PM

If you ever have to work under your car, you will LOVE sidepipes.
undercar exhaust heats up cabin
rob horsepower??? insignificant on a street driven car. want to go faster, lose weight. Same diff. 1 hsp per 10l bs dropped.
loud? depends.
Obnoxious is in the ear of the beholder.
Feathering the throttle to a steady rpm reduces sound.
Slamming thru the gears, nice to hear the pipes roar.
Simplicity is desirable.
More lateral the downspout the less reverb from the ground, can tweak mounting somewhat
Go over a grated deck bridge and you will think the car has stalled. Quiet as a Wankel.

Easy Rhino 02-08-2023 08:49 PM

People often forget to factor in what engine you're using with side pipes (or any exhaust) in making a determination.

Some engines are going to be far more raucous than others.

Someone else's car with side exhausts may not sound the same as yours.

R66 02-08-2023 09:05 PM

The only thing I can think of to compare side exhaust with is a Harley motorcycle running beside you in the summer when you have the windows down or open headers on a race car. Let's face it, there is very little baffling in side pipes. Of course the outlet is a foot or so behind you.
I love the sound of open pipes on the track whether driving or watching, but for a 50 mile trip, I couldn't handle it. Just personal opinion. If you love noise or want to drown out the passenger, go with them. They scream power.

Thorson 02-08-2023 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by elwood13 (Post 1606250334)
How about some electric cut outs? You can have loud and quiet. I’m looking at installing those.

That’s what I did. Side exhaust just got to be too much on long road trips.

bbxlr8 02-08-2023 09:23 PM

Depends on: Compression, Cam, Conditions (driving style, pipe design & age, cubes, gear set) plus your preference (looks & noise level tolerance)
I love my older but probably comprised GM pipes with stock L79 & 3.55. That being said it gets to me on longer runs and I keep earplugs in the car
  • Casual, several-hour back road Sunday drives are good with the wife (she's a keeper!)
  • Full-throttle runs push it a bit but she tolerates occasional heavy right foot!
YRMV but you probably know what you want to do before you read any of this...;)

Bluestripe67 02-08-2023 09:25 PM

Here is another side of side exhaust. If the engine has headers as my SB conv. does, the sound is mellowed. The raspy, gritty sound is eliminated. Under acceleration rowing through the gears you get more of a growl, then full on, the pitch gets higher. :cheers: Dennis

Vega$Vette 02-08-2023 09:27 PM

So is it worth $4k? Idk

R66 02-08-2023 09:52 PM

Go ahead and get them if you don't know, save your old pipes, getting rid of the side pipes is cheaper than a divorce.:willy: Have you asked her?

Vega$Vette 02-08-2023 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by R66 (Post 1606250579)
Go ahead and get them if you don't know, save your old pipes, getting rid of the side pipes is cheaper than a divorce.:willy: Have you asked her?

haha. My wife is most awesome woman ever. Whatever I do she’s 100% supports.