CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance-169/)
-   -   How can I tell if Transmission fluid has been change (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance/4714828-how-can-i-tell-if-transmission-fluid-has-been-change.html)

hawkandersonjr 03-04-2023 11:58 AM

How can I tell if Transmission fluid has been change

I bought a 2017 base Corvette automatic about 8 months ago. It had about 20,000 miles on it. I now have 25,000 miles on it now. I have been reading about the transmission triple flush. How can I find out if it has been done on my vette. I bought a range technology box the first week and I never experienced any problems with the transmission rough shifting. Should I just have it done for peace of mind.

CorvetteMike2024 03-04-2023 12:13 PM

I purchased my Stimgray in February of 2022. I got a carfax report which told me of all the service history. Also check with dealer. They may be able to run your VIN and have a service history

aklim 03-04-2023 03:27 PM

I buy a new to me car, IOW, used car, I follow a simple plan. If it flows, it goes. I don't know what you did or didn't do, whether you used quality materials or something from some dusty shelf or if you even did it.

RonC7 03-04-2023 03:38 PM

Open an account on Chevrolet.com and you can see any maintenance done at a GM dealer.

Ron

hawkandersonjr 03-04-2023 06:08 PM

RonC7
Thanks for the information. I had an account with Chevrolet.com and when I logged on the Vette was not on it. I added the vette. The vette had nothing listed under Service History. I bought the car from Carvana so that might have something to do with it. I did find my Powertrain limited warranty expires on 5-8-2023. My question is can I have this procedure done under the powertrain warranty free.

aklim 03-04-2023 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by hawkandersonjr (Post 1606347727)
I did find my Powertrain limited warranty expires on 5-8-2023. My question is can I have this procedure done under the powertrain warranty free.

I'm skeptical about this. There isn't a recall, only a TSB. I suspect it will depend on how much the service advisor reporting to Carvana wants to push it. You would have to prove it is a problem, though if you want them to cover it. The TSB only says that if you encounter this problem, a possible solution is to flush it. It does not say that it will pay for it so if the service advisor says there IS such an issue and wants to push it, Carvana could go ahead and pay.

RonC7 03-04-2023 07:30 PM

Chevy may have lost your VIN's data during an update. Info on my 2014 Z51 disappeared in 2017 or so. Info on my 2014 GMC is still available in the system.

Any GM dealer service department should be able to pull up the GMVIS (also apparently called IVH) report for you by VIN.

Ron

stephenleon 02-22-2024 11:56 PM

You can check maintenance records or consult with the previous owner. Alternatively, you could inspect the fluid color and condition yourself or have a mechanic do it for you. If you're uncertain and for peace of mind, it's advisable to have the transmission triple flush performed.

kodpkd 02-23-2024 09:58 AM

It never hurts to just change it. If you can do it yourself, not that big of deal. I have a 14 3LT, changed all the fluids, like he said, you never know what someone put in the car, lots of snake oil people believe in. Even the oil filter is important to get correct.

Thomasmoto 02-23-2024 06:12 PM

Especially at that mileage I would also just go ahead and change it.

Blackcherry20 05-01-2024 12:39 PM

It sounds easy to just change the fluid, but husband says the gasket needs replaced too as that is normal procedure when changing fluids...and THAT is the scary part for me- because the transmission has to be lifted a bit to get to the pan- correct?
How CAN you tell if fluid has been replaced? is there a color difference or smell or anything? My husband is an experienced (40 years) aircraft mech so he knows what he is doing but if we can be assured that the flush has been done that is better.
2017 GS 8AT 18k

shekmark427 05-03-2024 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 1606347211)
I buy a new to me car, IOW, used car, I follow a simple plan. If it flows, it goes. I don't know what you did or didn't do, whether you used quality materials or something from some dusty shelf or if you even did it.

I agree. Just had all fluids replaced on my , new to me, 2014. Brake, engine, trans, differential. And Serpentine belt PLUSn the mag ride suspension upgrade. I feel better. LOL

aklim 05-03-2024 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcherry20 (Post 1607768183)
It sounds easy to just change the fluid, but husband says the gasket needs replaced too as that is normal procedure when changing fluids...and THAT is the scary part for me- because the transmission has to be lifted a bit to get to the pan- correct?
How CAN you tell if fluid has been replaced? is there a color difference or smell or anything? My husband is an experienced (40 years) aircraft mech so he knows what he is doing but if we can be assured that the flush has been done that is better.
2017 GS 8AT 18k

I think you have to flush it 3 times so it is about 4 hours with 20 some quarts of fluid or in simple terms $1000 give or take a few hundred.

Blackcherry20 05-04-2024 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 1607776505)
I think you have to flush it 3 times so it is about 4 hours with 20 some quarts of fluid or in simple terms $1000 give or take a few hundred.

It’s def a time and money commitment… may be easier to take it to a dealer but I have a mistrust there. So I wait for hubs. Ty for the reply @aklim

aklim 05-04-2024 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcherry20 (Post 1607776901)
It’s def a time and money commitment… may be easier to take it to a dealer but I have a mistrust there. So I wait for hubs. Ty for the reply @aklim

IMO, it's less about the dealer and more about the tech doing the job. Finding a good tech is a task. Ask them who are the Corvette certified techs and get to know them through jobs like this.

aklim 05-04-2024 10:57 PM

I believe it is 3.8 hrs and 24 quarts of fluid. So if you are getting someone to do it, DON'T just take a number. As my math instructors used to say "No working, no credit.". Show me how you came about that number with the hours and fluid. IIRC, those are the TSB numbers so it can't be below that since that is what GM would pay under warranty which is sometimes less than what you would pay. Ask what the hourly rate of the shop is and multiply it by 3.8 hours. Ask the parts department what the fluid sells for and multiply it by 24. Add both and see how much it should cost. All the Service Advisor is good for is to tell you the labor rate and get an appointment. You need to find the Corvette Certified tech first and talk to him.

My SA lied to me. We were doing some updates so I backed off the tunes. I told him NO TCM or ECM updates. Later on, he called and said he had a deal for me. 3 updates for the price of two. I asked which three. TCM was one of them so I told him not to do it. Later on, he charged me for 2 and said that although the paper said TCM, he didn't do it. Talked to the tech who confirmed that it was done. No biggie but tech gained a bit of trust since he told me the truth and I will never use that SA again. To the tech's credit, he did try to call me but I was not able to answer. Trust BUT VERIFY. Disclosure, it was a spur of the moment thing so I didn't get to talk to the tech directly that morning since he came in later.

hiltsy855 05-06-2024 08:33 AM

If you can DIY there's a good thread HERE that explains how to flush with 12 quarts including the coolers and torque converter.

aklim 05-06-2024 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by hiltsy855 (Post 1607782328)
If you can DIY there's a good thread HERE that explains how to flush with 12 quarts including the coolers and torque converter.

And it can get as much of the old fluid out as the process using 24 quarts? I'd be skeptical. For a normal flush, sure.

hiltsy855 05-06-2024 09:26 AM

Yes. I separated the line at the rear cooler and started the engine for a short time, using the transmission pump to push about a quart of fluid thru the system. Add a quart then rinse & repeat 5-6 times. The new fluid pushes the old fluid out.

BLU JET 07 05-12-2024 10:16 PM

Id just change all the fluids, filters and call it good