CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Screw in tire, repairable? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4749368-screw-in-tire-repairable.html)

Pisswilly 07-01-2023 04:44 PM

Screw in tire, repairable?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...85519a832.jpeg
Thought it was a rock, upon further examination, it’s a screw. Tire is holding pressure. Is it repairable?

gliot1 07-01-2023 04:48 PM

Should be. Go to Discount Tire...most likely won't even charge you.

Walt White Coupe 07-01-2023 04:51 PM

Yes

Pisswilly 07-01-2023 05:27 PM

Is it correct tire can be repaired only once, after that, a new tire is required? This is a ZP tire.

proeagles 07-01-2023 05:29 PM

Easy peazy. Just make sure it is done from the inside with a patch.

ryanbrennan1009 07-01-2023 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by proeagles (Post 1606795522)
Easy peazy. Just make sure it is done from the inside with a patch.

no plugs. Tire has to be pulled from rim and patched from inside. As long as the screw is not between the first tire tread and sidewall, you are good to go, like in this case.

papillion 07-01-2023 05:49 PM

Sweet Spot

Center of the tire is repairable. Discount Tire will fix it for free. Making an appt will save you some time.

zrracer 07-01-2023 06:46 PM

Take it to a professional tire store.
they will advise you.
silly to ask here

proeagles 07-01-2023 07:05 PM

Normally I would agree with you but this has been beat to death and most of us who answer have had experience. I know I have.

Harry2 07-01-2023 07:05 PM

I had a nail in mine in almost the same spot last Monday, Discount Tire repaired it expertly at no charge on Tuesday, save yourself a lot of time, go to them first.

GOLD72 07-01-2023 07:05 PM

DT will combo plug/patch it without question for free.

GOLD72 07-01-2023 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pisswilly (Post 1606795515)
Is it correct tire can be repaired only once, after that, a new tire is required? This is a ZP tire.

No. A street driven tire can be repaired multiple times as long as a new repair isn’t essentially on top of a previous patch.

Vetteman Jack 07-01-2023 07:51 PM

Based on the location of that screw, I would say that the tire is repairable - just ensure that a plug and patch method of repair is used.

Bob Paris 07-02-2023 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by gliot1 (Post 1606795398)
Should be. Go to Discount Tire...most likely won't even charge you.

Watch out at Discount Tire, aka America's Tire on the west coast. I took my daughter's car there to have the tire patched and they tried to sell me a set of tires. I passed and the car was at the dealer a week later where they noted that each tire had 6/32" tread left. Of course they fix tires for free since this insures a steady supply of potential victims. Be careful out there...

JerryU 07-02-2023 05:46 AM

^^^^
Have no idea if this was your case- BUT:

Some new tires have tread depths of 11/32 of an inch. A tire can have 6/32" in spots with a wear bar showing in another! Wear bars show @ 2/32" and can be worn uneven inside or outside etc with average much higher.

I don't wait for a wear bar to show before changing. A hydroplaning incident can be far more costly than a set of tires. Quoting:
"Most tiremakers agree that wet performance and a tire's resistance to hydroplaning decreases dramatically when the tread depth is less than 4/32 of an inch. Moreover, tires tend to wear unevenly, so check all of the grooves. If only one groove is under the legal minimum, it's best to replace the tire. Rotating your tires regularly ensures even wear."

Just say'n!

MarkMeHopeful 07-02-2023 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Paris (Post 1606796374)
Watch out at Discount Tire, aka America's Tire on the west coast. I took my daughter's car there to have the tire patched and they tried to sell me a set of tires. I passed and the car was at the dealer a week later where they noted that each tire had 6/32" tread left. Of course they fix tires for free since this insures a steady supply of potential victims. Be careful out there...

First bad thing I've ever heard about America's Tire. I'm sure any given store might have a "bad apple" but America's tire has a great reputation and very positive reviews in general and on this forum. They've always done well by me - had factory tires replaced twice under their hazard warranty.

Maybe there was a good reason they recommended new tires.

papillion 07-02-2023 11:46 AM

Tire Smart

Originally Posted by Bob Paris (Post 1606796374)

Your daughter should have taken Discount Tire's advice. And so should you have. Embarrassing for you at best.

ValenciaOrange 07-02-2023 12:02 PM

Just make sure when they take the tire off the rim, they don’t damage it. Take a picture beforehand.

RKCRLR 07-02-2023 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by MarkMeHopeful (Post 1606797130)
First bad thing I've ever heard about America's Tire. I'm sure any given store might have a "bad apple" but America's tire has a great reputation and very positive reviews in general and on this forum. They've always done well by me - had factory tires replaced twice under their hazard warranty.

Maybe there was a good reason they recommended new tires.

I had a problem with them but in the end they made it right. I purchased a lifetime balance on my wife's car along with tires and they refused to perform a rebalance because the side tread between the main tread and sidewall was below 2/32" in depth. The main tread was well above 2/32". This area had less tread depth then the main tread area when the tires were brand new so, following their logic, I was sold tires that didn't meet the manufacturer's stated tread depth. Additionally the law only requires 2/32 depth in the main tread area. Ultimately they gave me a substantial discount on new tires.

JerryU 07-02-2023 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ValenciaOrange (Post 1606797253)
Just make sure when they take the tire off the rim, they don’t damage it. Take a picture beforehand.

Much better than a pic and arguing is what I did twice. Said there would be a $20 tip for zero-wheel marks. Did that for my free new tire needed as nail was near sidewall and plug/patch when it was in the center!

Know some think tips are not "needed" for car work (I also tip the great C8 Tech who works on my car.) 1st time he was reluctant to take it and I said heck I tip waiters and they don't hake close to your knowledge.