CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Sell or Keep (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4754592-sell-or-keep.html)

Aggie76 07-22-2023 11:08 AM

Sell or Keep

Getting the bug to add a C8 to the garage and could use some independent feedback on what to do with my 2013 C6. The C6 was museum delivered on 14 June 2012 as my first Corvette after desiring one for 37 years. So there is obviously a significant sentimental attachment to it. Upgrading to the C8 brings some internal debate about whether to keep the C6 or sell it.

I’ve got storage space for both in my pole barn although I’d probably add a four-post lift to keep floor space free for other things. We typically average between 3,500 and 4,000 miles on the C6 with one or two long trips each summer. So I struggle trying to justify having two Corvettes with that level of use each year.

Complicating this is living in northern Minnesota the roads are pretty nasty with ice and snow coverings essentially from early November through late April. I’ve stored the C6 during that period rather than take any risk, especially since many of the roads I travel, like our driveway, are gravel/dirt and become an ice rink. Even my F150 and our Yukon XL are challenged many days.

Logic says sell the C6 and buy the C8. Just trying to address the emotion of selling my first Corvette. Would appreciate hearing from fellow owners how they’ve dealt with making a decision like this.

Klawp 07-22-2023 11:15 AM

If you can afford it and you can store it honestly I would say keep it. I have many cars I regret selling and wish I could walk out to the garage, hop in and drive again. Sure I could get another but it's not the same, car are kind of like family in a way.

SK '08 07-22-2023 11:19 AM

Keep, as you will have less room in a C8.
If you can, have both a C6 and a C8. Not one or the other.

R&L's C6 07-22-2023 11:31 AM

Material objects are just that, out with the old and in with the new. YMMV

If it would have been passed down from a loved one, different story.

ClothSeats 07-22-2023 11:40 AM

Keep it if you want, but after a few years, you will probably get tired of paying for insurance and registration and walking around it all the time and having another car to keep clean.

Frank4202 07-22-2023 11:55 AM

I say keep and avoid the C8 for now. Too many transmission and engine issues that will be much more costly than a C6 to repair. I honestly think once warranty expires on C8s, people will be ditching them quickly. Too unreliable and too costly of repairs that the average Joe wont tackle.

Allen_396 07-22-2023 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Klawp (Post 1606863177)
If you can afford it and you can store it honestly I would say keep it.

This sums it up quite perfectly.

If in a couple of years of owning both, you just aren't showing the C6 enough love, consider selling it.

Otherwise, toss that 'logic' out the window

Enjoy being able to have a choice to cruise whichever one fits the mood for the day. Plus there's something cool about admiring these beautiful pieces of functional art in your garage when you're not driving them.

jbc1995fb 07-22-2023 12:42 PM

+1 for keeping both.

Do you have any kids? While neither will probably be a "'63 split window" I'd keep them and pass them to kids.

If I had the $$$ and space, I'd want to own 1 from every generation.

JABCAT 07-22-2023 12:46 PM

While the C8 is new & shiny, and oooh mid-engine, I'm not a fan of the appearance, or the interior.

I would also pay attention to the transmission issues which are ongoing almost 5 model years in. From posts here on the forum the DCT is ~$20k installed.

I'm not a base model guy, so I have zero interest in the Stingray, and while the Z06 looks better, it has the same DCT issues & now engine issues with the LT6.

For as little as you drive it, I don't see the point in upgrading to potential problems. But that's just me.

Dano523 07-22-2023 12:51 PM

Just a FYI, but before you buy a C8 stringray, would take it for a test drive.
Local dealer has two of them that have only a few hundred miles on each, that the owners only owned for a week, and then traded them back in.Hence it may share some lines with the other mid engine imports, but that about it.

So on that note, would take a C8 Z06 for a test drive, since its a totally different animal, and making the kind of HP that justifies why the C8 went mid engine in the first place.

As for the C6, if not one of the special editions that will gain in value (Used ZR1's are selling for more than what they cost new right now), then let it go.

BadAV 07-22-2023 01:07 PM

I personally would sell. No sense keeping another car that gets driven very little. If that ends up being your thought, I would sell now while the market price is still up. I am seeing signs that the market is finally starting to cool off at least a little. Interest rates that the "kids" have never seen before likely has something to do with it.

FAUEE 07-22-2023 02:22 PM

Personally, I'd keep the c6 and see how much you really like the c8. Seems like a lot of people are buying them because they're the new shiny thing and then hating them, or at least not liking them.

If your c6 has a stick, and isn't super high miles, it will go up in value. Any c6, with a stick, that's clean and not a ton ofiles will go up since they simply are not making manual cars anymore.

John Harry 07-22-2023 02:33 PM

Long term you don't need two cars that will be infrequently driven. Buy the C8 with the plan to sell one or the other after six months.

not08crmanymore 07-22-2023 04:02 PM

I'd say determine how much you really want a C8 then act accordingly. Keep both for a while if you do get the c8 and take your time in deciding what to do with the c6.That will alleviate any comprehension you have about getting rid of the C6. They are two completely different beats for sure.

TucoTom 07-22-2023 06:44 PM

I'd go with a 2024 Corvette, sell the C6 model, if you can afford the price.

JasonAndrew 07-22-2023 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Aggie76 (Post 1606863152)
Getting the bug to add a C8 to the garage and could use some independent feedback on what to do with my 2013 C6. The C6 was museum delivered on 14 June 2012 as my first Corvette after desiring one for 37 years. So there is obviously a significant sentimental attachment to it. Upgrading to the C8 brings some internal debate about whether to keep the C6 or sell it.

I’ve got storage space for both in my pole barn although I’d probably add a four-post lift to keep floor space free for other things. We typically average between 3,500 and 4,000 miles on the C6 with one or two long trips each summer. So I struggle trying to justify having two Corvettes with that level of use each year.

Complicating this is living in northern Minnesota the roads are pretty nasty with ice and snow coverings essentially from early November through late April. I’ve stored the C6 during that period rather than take any risk, especially since many of the roads I travel, like our driveway, are gravel/dirt and become an ice rink. Even my F150 and our Yukon XL are challenged many days.

Logic says sell the C6 and buy the C8. Just trying to address the emotion of selling my first Corvette. Would appreciate hearing from fellow owners how they’ve dealt with making a decision like this.

Keep it

Sdk8103 07-22-2023 09:25 PM

I love my C6 and am glad I decided to keep it when I got the C8. They are different cars and I love them both.

sramzzz 07-22-2023 09:40 PM

You are on a C6 forum so the majority would say keep. Think it all boils to financials for you. For me the C6 or a late model C1 is all that would be in my garage. I can’t make myself like anything about a C7 or a C8.

corvettekent 07-22-2023 09:52 PM

I still own the first Corvette that I bought, it's a 1960 that I bought 35 years ago. I also have a few others. Corvettes are like potato chips, you can't have just one.

jaki30 07-22-2023 10:32 PM

Can’t say about the C8, but I sold my C7 after 3 years to go back to a C6.
More room, better ride and much less complicated.