CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Car Show Curiousity (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4764163-car-show-curiousity.html)

Whoad_way_down 08-27-2023 09:00 PM

Car Show Curiousity

For those of you that compete in Car Shows/Show and Shine and Concours...Do you get a copy of your Judging sheet after all awards are handed out?

Moman01 08-27-2023 09:25 PM

Never and I have asked

Whoad_way_down 08-27-2023 09:34 PM

Thanks...just trying to figure out how to improve.

rockinSeat 08-28-2023 09:12 AM

I think I've seen my sheet or at least asked the judges. You are almost better off not knowing as it will drive you nuts at least it does to me. It's either something I can do nothing about or it got dirty on the way over etc. Or someone beats your 30k mile car with a 3k mile car etc. It's more fun being a judge.

jrose7004 08-28-2023 12:40 PM

Some you do and some you don't. It just depends on the show.

rkj427 08-28-2023 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by jrose7004 (Post 1606987712)
Some you do and some you don't. It just depends on the show.

:iagree: although at our annual show we always have them available for the participants to get before they leave for the day.

Many other shows in this area do not provide them, even if they are asked for.

Whoad_way_down 08-28-2023 01:17 PM

Thanks...I just think we should know. I guess it is to keep folks for firing up at Judges.

bravo29 08-28-2023 01:56 PM

Some do some dont. Here some leave a paper on your seat to tell you what points you got for what and your AVG score.

The many I didnt about 80% gave you a score sheet.

DrKrieger 08-28-2023 08:23 PM

I've never asked for one. Why? After participating for nearly 45 years in car shows both as a participant and as a judge, unless it's for concourse points, I never really asked. I've won national, regional and local awards from many different parts of the US. Judging can be coming from so many directions, personal preferences, and the age of the judge. I've been to shows that are participant judging only (which I hate), or judging by those attending the show (which I also hate), and then car guys as judges. Many judges will prefer a Chevy over a Ford or a Mopar, etc. etc. When I would judge, I would look at everything prefer one brand over another when it came to judging.....(I'm a car guy, and I don't care what brand it is, but how it looks overall, and how it's presented........unless it was exterior, or interior or engine only separated judging. I am not a fan of a perfect original car (they are amazing), but more of a "build the car the way you choose because it suits your personality" car guy. So, when it comes to concourse judging, I'm not your guy.

Sunnyvale Dave 08-28-2023 10:06 PM

In order to get a score, there needs to be a competition code, and participants need to be made aware of the code. The Corvette shows in Northern California are social events. My Corvette club calls it informal judging. NCCC calls it people's choice. It's subjective judging.

We have 1-3 place in each generation. How can one guy judge 20 cars objectively? He can't. It's his overall impression of the cars.

jaki30 08-29-2023 07:22 AM

I gave up having a car judged years ago. I got docked points on a rare a/c 72 LT-1 coupe because my new rug on the
driver side was off by 1/2”.
If and when I go to a show, I tell them not to judge my car.
I only pay to be able to park my car on the judging field.

tektrans 08-29-2023 07:28 AM

Car shows are so subjective imo. I like to enter them lately, mainly to hang around like minded people, see some cool cars and have a cigar. When I win a trophy or a plaque it's nice but if I don't that's fine also. I've never even thought of getting a judge sheet. I just try to have the car nice and clean and enjoy the few hours.

tektrans 08-29-2023 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by jaki30 (Post 1606990391)
I gave up having a car judged years ago. I got docked points on a rare a/c 72 LT-1 coupe because my new rug on the
driver side was off by 1/2”.

This is the BS that comes with taking these shows seriously, again imo. Carpet, some obscure weld or overspray etc. I just can't get into it lol.
You got the right idea, pay to park and enjoy :thumbs:

cmonkey713 08-29-2023 11:21 AM

Not every show will give you the score sheet. sometimes you can ask and they will provide it. The reason is to reduce the after the fact participant discussions on individual component scores.

Dano523 08-29-2023 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by DrKrieger (Post 1606989551)
I've never asked for one. Why? After participating for nearly 45 years in car shows both as a participant and as a judge, unless it's for concourse points, I never really asked. I've won national, regional and local awards from many different parts of the US. Judging can be coming from so many directions, personal preferences, and the age of the judge. I've been to shows that are participant judging only (which I hate), or judging by those attending the show (which I also hate), and then car guys as judges. Many judges will prefer a Chevy over a Ford or a Mopar, etc. etc. When I would judge, I would look at everything prefer one brand over another when it came to judging.....(I'm a car guy, and I don't care what brand it is, but how it looks overall, and how it's presented........unless it was exterior, or interior or engine only separated judging. I am not a fan of a perfect original car (they are amazing), but more of a "build the car the way you choose because it suits your personality" car guy. So, when it comes to concourse judging, I'm not your guy.

This, since most car show winners are not bases on points, but the politics of the show and judges isntead.

Sunnyvale Dave 08-29-2023 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dano523 (Post 1606991637)
This, since most car show winners are not bases on points, but the politics of the show and judges isntead.

When I first started judging car shows, my trainer taught me that ideally the judge shouldn't know the name of the car's owner. Over time, people recognize the cars anyway. In my area, members of the host car club cannot judge their own cars.

I shake my head when I see Facebook posts with someone gushing over an award won at a local car show. Most car show awards are relatively inexpensive, and many car show regulars don't have space to display all the awards they have won over the years.

449er 08-29-2023 04:34 PM

I agree that its hit or miss as far as how the judging is done...I went to a Corvette only judged show last year that ( I didn't know this beforehand) the judging was done by the Corvette club members who hosted the show & their car were also in the competition......you can imagine who went home with the trophies :shrug:

MARSC6 08-29-2023 05:47 PM

It's more politics than anything you can do with your car.

This one car show I used to attend always awarded 1st to this C3 that was really a piece of crap with what looked like backyard bodywork and paint. The guy wouldn't even clean it. Just park and walk away.

got2hav1 08-29-2023 06:40 PM

When our club used to host NCCC sanctioned shows we always announced that the judging sheets were available. Now all of our shows are people's choice style shows. (much easier on the club as we get older)

Sunnyvale Dave 08-29-2023 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by got2hav1 (Post 1606992747)
When our club used to host NCCC sanctioned shows we always announced that the judging sheets were available. Now all of our shows are people's choice style shows. (much easier on the club as we get older)

I was looking at the West Coast NCCC event calendar. Every car show was people's choice/concours. People don't want concours judging. If I see a car that has such things as coffee cups, water bottles and cleaning cloths inside, why would I proceed to judge the paint or wheels? The person has not prepared his car for a car show, and the judging stops. To give these cars scores is nuts.