CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4768344-mega-merge-onstar-is-reporting-your-driving-history.html)

JQUICK 09-13-2023 11:20 AM

Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Taken from the Z06 forums thanks to ElectronMike:

Heads up if you haven't seen this.. even after my OnStar initial trial was over, I checked the MyChevrolet app and noticed that they are tracking and reporting driving habits including what they consider hard acceleration and hard braking events. I disabled this in the app by going to "more" in the bottom right and then unenrolling from Chevrolet Smart Driver. It was on by default in my case. A few of my friends mentioned their information has been sold and even ended up on their credit report in some cases as C8 owners.

They literally assign you a driving score!

tadda 09-13-2023 11:37 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...86df0fc094.gif

Fishfryer527 09-13-2023 11:37 AM

Thanks. I looked on my app, I don’t think it’s by default we are enrolled. But it’s good to check.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...314a175ef.jpeg

67rstbkt 09-13-2023 12:13 PM

Thanks - I was "enrolled"

jbondfl 09-13-2023 12:19 PM

In my C6 OnStar had a dedicated fuse. I pulled after a slight off-road excursion at a track during which they called into the car to see if I was okay.
No more problemo

Scruff Vette 09-13-2023 01:42 PM

THANK YOU!!! I had no idea it was active as I did not sign up for it. I unenrolled.

plmmd 09-13-2023 01:43 PM

Its active on delivery-- I was quite proud of my consistent 0 scores perhaps Geico isnt as impressed

Dads2kconvertible 09-13-2023 02:13 PM

Does the car have its own built in connectivity? If so, you probably have no idea what is being collected, who has access to that information, or what they do with it.
https://privacy4cars.com/personal-use is a good starting point if you want to figure out what the car is collecting.

Andybump 09-13-2023 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dads2kconvertible (Post 1607041090)
Does the car have its own built in connectivity? If so, you probably have no idea what is being collected, who has access to that information, or what they do with it.
https://privacy4cars.com/personal-use is a good starting point if you want to figure out what the car is collecting.

The car has a built in 4G connection that is active all the time. Its how OTA updates are received. And yes, it is capable of providing most all the data, most all the time. It is unclear whether or not disabling the smart driver feature on the app actually stops that data from being collected. It may just stop it from being processed for that specific application which provides the driver with a summary.

ShagVette 09-13-2023 02:35 PM

:lurk:

Dads2kconvertible 09-13-2023 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Andybump (Post 1607041135)
The car has a built in 4G connection that is active all the time. Its how OTA updates are received. And yes, it is capable of providing most all the data, most all the time. It is unclear whether or not disabling the smart driver feature on the app actually stops that data from being collected. It may just stop it from being processed for that specific application which provides the driver with a summary.

The car can connect to your home Wi-Fi too, right Andy?
If so, it might be interesting to use Wireshark to capture everything from the car's IP address for a few days and see what it's sending. That probably would not be everything, since the 4G connection is still there but it might show some stuff.
Anyone who wants to collaborate on such a project PM me. You would want to assign a fixed IP for your car and port forwarding to wherever you're running Wireshark. Someone else has probably done it already but maybe not on a Corvette.

Andybump 09-13-2023 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dads2kconvertible (Post 1607041249)
The car can connect to your home Wi-Fi too, right Andy?
If so, it might be interesting to use Wireshark to capture everything from the car's IP address for a few days and see what it's sending. That probably would not be everything, since the 4G connection is still there but it might show some stuff.
Anyone who wants to collaborate on such a project PM me. You would want to assign a fixed IP for your car and port forwarding to wherever you're running Wireshark. Someone else has probably done it already but maybe not on a Corvette.

Yes it can, and when it does, it uses the path for OTA downloads and very likely uses it for everything but I do not know that. I do know that when it is connected that way, it will enable the apps that are loaded into the car to get data. I do not have a data plan nor any subscription with onstar. But the apps will get data from the WiFi if it is connected. Not that its of any use when traveling.

Newdude 09-13-2023 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by JQUICK (Post 1607040451)
Taken from the Z06 forums thanks to ElectronMike:

Heads up if you haven't seen this.. even after my OnStar initial trial was over, I checked the MyChevrolet app and noticed that they are tracking and reporting driving habits including what they consider hard acceleration and hard braking events. I disabled this in the app by going to "more" in the bottom right and then unenrolling from Chevrolet Smart Driver. It was on by default in my case. A few of my friends mentioned their information has been sold and even ended up on their credit report in some cases as C8 owners.

They literally assign you a driving score!

Tell us something we don't know...

Red rag 09-13-2023 03:25 PM

Whoa, thanks! My numbers probably weren’t “good” for somebody. They make me smile though!

Didier9 09-13-2023 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by plmmd (Post 1607040977)
Its active on delivery-- I was quite proud of my consistent 0 scores perhaps Geico isnt as impressed

It was turned off on my car when I checked. It may have been the dealer disabling it?

Avanti 09-13-2023 04:14 PM

If "they" have nothing better to do than track me, more power to 'em... and I hope they get a life. :yesnod: :lol: :lol:

1 STING 09-13-2023 04:19 PM

That's a good one GM! :thumbs:

It's very sneaky having your own unsuspecting customers paying OnStar for their own self incrimination, no scruples, no integrity, but lots of money. It should give pause to everyone, specially those who frequently raise GM's flag and kiss their butt.

George

IrishSpuds 09-13-2023 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Newdude (Post 1607041288)
Tell us something we don't know...

Post of the year. Your mom is proud.

Corvette ED 09-13-2023 04:31 PM

I just bought a new 2024 Equinox and glad I seen this post. I just went into the app and checked unenrolled

AORoads 09-13-2023 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by 1 STING (Post 1607041520)
That's a good one GM! :thumbs:

It's very sneaky having your own unsuspecting customers paying OnStar for their own self incrimination, no scruples, no integrity, but lots of money. It should give pause to everyone, specially those who frequently raise GM's flag and kiss their butt.

George

Trouble is, what car company is NOT doing this? Truth is, we don't know. And we don't know what we don't know to look for...until someone tells us.:yesnod: