CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-z06-zr1-zora-discussion-187/)
-   -   UAW Strike Verdict? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-z06-zr1-zora-discussion/4768478-uaw-strike-verdict.html)

arivero9897 09-13-2023 06:19 PM

UAW Strike Verdict?

Hi all, curious to know what to expect if UAW does in fact go on strike. Will this halt all production or will those UAW members who cross the picket lines continue to build cars as usual? Anyone know if 2024 C8 Z06 production will be pushed back due to the strike? I'm on the first batch of 2024 MY cars and been at status 3000 for 6 weeks.

smithers 09-13-2023 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by arivero9897 (Post 1607041918)
Hi all, curious to know what to expect if UAW does in fact go on strike. Will this halt all production or will those UAW members who cross the picket lines continue to build cars as usual? Anyone know if 2024 C8 Z06 production will be pushed back due to the strike? I'm on the first batch of 2024 MY cars and been at status 3000 for 1.5 months.

It's really impossible to say for sure until the UAW announces what they are targeting with the strike. Seems like the speculation that its just going to be select plants. It may not even impact Corvette production at all.

Panfish 09-13-2023 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by arivero9897 (Post 1607041918)
Hi all, curious to know what to expect if UAW does in fact go on strike. Will this halt all production or will those UAW members who cross the picket lines continue to build cars as usual? Anyone know if 2024 C8 Z06 production will be pushed back due to the strike? I'm on the first batch of 2024 MY cars and been at status 3000 for 6 weeks.

Don’t expect ANY workers to cross a picket line at BG. GM would need a LOT of workers to cross to even run a slow line. Those who cross would be pariahs among their coworkers who didn’t for the rest of time. Better to hope for no strike.

ak6960 09-13-2023 06:47 PM

Would you even want a car produced during a labor strike? Hell no!

warhawkmcdaniel 09-13-2023 06:58 PM

The strike is likely.

capevettes 09-13-2023 06:59 PM

I'm also at 3000 status for my 24 Z06, as of 3 weeks ago. When my early 2020 was being built, they went on strike with my car on the assembly line. Here we go again.
Nobody will cross picket lines. The offers have been substantive. I think they will get a resolution and avert a strike.
We shall see.

arivero9897 09-13-2023 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by capevettes (Post 1607042038)
I'm also at 3000 status for my 24 Z06, as of 3 weeks ago. When my early 2020 was being built, they went on strike with my car on the assembly line. Here we go again.
Nobody will cross picket lines. The offers have been substantive. I think they will get a resolution and avert a strike.
We shall see.

Wow, looks like you hit the jackpot once again!

Red Mist Rulz 09-14-2023 01:34 PM

Unless the vast majority of workers cross the picket line, there's no way they can continue production. The plant just won't work if only 10 or 20% of the workers are present. And it's unlikely very many workers will cross the line, given that more than 90% of workers nationwide voted to support a strike.

And even if BGA could somehow continue to produce cars, the transport company drivers belong to the teamsters, and won't cross the picket line to pick up cars.

ChevyChad 09-14-2023 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Red Mist Rulz (Post 1607044336)
Unless the vast majority of workers cross the picket line, there's no way they can continue production. The plant just won't work if only 10 or 20% of the workers are present. And it's unlikely very many workers will cross the line, given that more than 90% of workers nationwide voted to support a strike.

And even if BGA could somehow continue to produce cars, the transport company drivers belong to the teamsters, and won't cross the picket line to pick up cars.

Wait, so the transport drivers are part of the UAW also? So like, if somoene has a car on a trailer that has already left the plant, and the UAW strikes, that truck driver is just gonna park the transport truck somewhere and not deliver vehicles??

Panfish 09-14-2023 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyChad (Post 1607044354)
Wait, so the transport drivers are part of the UAW also? So like, if somoene has a car on a trailer that has already left the plant, and the UAW strikes, that truck driver is just gonna park the transport truck somewhere and not deliver vehicles??

He is misguided. If the UAW strikes, the transport drivers doing their jobs is NOT crossing a picket line. They could do a sympathy strike, but that would be stupid.

ChevyChad 09-14-2023 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Panfish (Post 1607044480)
He is misguided. If the UAW strikes, the transport drivers doing their jobs is NOT crossing a picket line. They could do a sympathy strike, but that would be stupid.

Gotcha. Yea, it makes sense that transport drivers would not be able to go into the plant to pick up cars in the queue, but if a driver already has one on the trailer and on the way to its dealer destination, I wouldnt think they would stop.

Just asking for my buddy, @Z0HS1CK because I think his might be on a truck by now and he doesnt need a heart attack after as long as he has waited with his car in QC hold :lol:

Panfish 09-14-2023 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyChad (Post 1607044870)
Gotcha. Yea, it makes sense that transport drivers would not be able to go into the plant to pick up cars in the queue, but if a driver already has one on the trailer and on the way to its dealer destination, I wouldnt think they would stop.

Just asking for my buddy, @Z0HS1CK because I think his might be on a truck by now and he doesnt need a heart attack after as long as he has waited with his car in QC hold :lol:

IIRC, when Bowling Green workers struck in 2019, completed cars ready for shipping still shipped.

Z0HS1CK 09-14-2023 04:20 PM

I don’t need a heart attack at age 40 lol

but seriously i think the only reason why my car “passed” was because the engine appearance package was removed. I saw it on the invoice.

so I think mm is just pushing out all the cars with these minor options taken out so all the cars built won’t sit for possibly months.

that said I think they would know if there is a strike there would be no issue with transport?

cryptonic 09-14-2023 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by capevettes (Post 1607042038)
We shall see.

i think you are right, something will pop tonight. There is way too much at stake here. The domestic car industry cannot afford to lose any market share from a nasty strike. There are just too many countries and companies making cars and trucks. You can't shut down and come back to where you left. Doesn't work that way outside of the specialty items like the Corvette.

John510 09-14-2023 09:47 PM

I read they were offered a 20% raise and refused and said they want 40%

If GM gives a 40% raise then just imagine how much price increases are going to be passed down to new cars. That 20-30K markup isn't going to look so bad in 2 years from now.

Propspinner 09-14-2023 10:38 PM

I wouldn’t want my car being built until they resolve this. This is a UAW directive to the rank and file.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5ecf55bd4.jpeg

smithers 09-14-2023 10:49 PM

Apparently it was announced on a livestream that the first GM target is the plant in Wentzville, MO. I believe it builds trucks and full size vans.

So at least initially Bowling Green shouldn't be impacted.

Q Pilot 09-15-2023 12:02 AM

• The United Auto Workers union plans to strike three U.S. assembly plants of General Motors, Ford Motor and Stellantis, UAW President Shawn Fain announced Thursday night.
  • The facilities are GM’s midsize truck and full-size van plant in Wentzville, Missouri; Ford’s Ranger midsize pickup and Bronco SUV plant in Wayne, Michigan; and Stellantis’ Jeep plant in Toledo, Ohio.
  • The targeted strike plans are contingent upon the union and automakers not reaching deals by an 11:59 p.m. deadline.

AustinVetter 09-15-2023 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by John510 (Post 1607045812)
I read they were offered a 20% raise and refused and said they want 40%

If GM gives a 40% raise then just imagine how much price increases are going to be passed down to new cars. That 20-30K markup isn't going to look so bad in 2 years from now.

I'm no fan of GM's current management but this is truly insane. The UAW is out of their minds. They refused a 20% wage increase and they demand a 46% raise, to only work 32 hours but get paid for 40, multiple bonuses, no compensation tiers (so experienced workers don't get rewarded?), enhanced vacations, retirements, cost of living, etc. Many of these workers have jobs that don't require degrees. The UAW feels entitled to these things because some of the automakers have had good earnings this year. What happens if they lose money in the coming year(s)? Will the UAW give back some of the concessions/raises back to help out? Of course not.

The average UAW salary is way over what my wife works as a school teacher. She has worked nearly 25 years at her job and only makes a little over $60K/year. Her raises are around 3% per year. She doesn't get bonuses and her job requires a 4 year degree.

I really wish people were more thankful for the very good jobs they have rather than feel entitled to so much more. In my opinion, if they want more, then they should find a job better suited for their demands or go start their own business and hope they don't have employees that demand 46% raises, multiple bonuses, 32 hour work weeks... or else.

SMH.

ZO6ZO7isme 09-15-2023 05:13 AM

Saw on the news they want a 36% increase in wages…. IMO that’s not happening.
Maybe 12 to 14% max, if that, just saying.