CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Is Something Wrong? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4775666-is-something-wrong.html)

Undatakr 10-13-2023 04:01 PM

Is Something Wrong?

I've got a 2007 base Coupe with automatic trans and it seems to me that at times, when lifting my foot off the accelerator and braking, the Vette accelerates and quite honestly scares the crap out of me. I can't seem to figure out if I'm not moving my fat foot (size 11 EEEE) far enough left and I'm pressing down on the brake and accelerator simultaneously or if there's something amiss in the drive-by-wire circuitry. It only seems to happen at slow speeds like pulling into a parking spot or coming close to the garage wall! Has anybody else out there had this occur? Is it me or the Vette?

jrose7004 10-13-2023 04:24 PM

I've never had that problem in the 2 C6's that I've had.

LCZ06 10-13-2023 04:33 PM

Sounds like driver error lol.

Vette_DD 10-13-2023 04:37 PM

Never had that problem with the 2005 automatic Vette that I had.

Corvette_Ed 10-13-2023 04:41 PM

It seems like there is a problem between the driver's seat and the steering wheel. You might want to have that checked out.

Mr. Jean 10-13-2023 05:10 PM

Never heard of this before. Your wide feet could be the issue.
Pay closer attention of your foot position when parking and see if that helps.
You could try left foot braking when parking also. If the problem goes away with the left foot braking,
you've found the problem. Good luck.

visionary 10-13-2023 06:08 PM

I have never had this problem like most have replied. It could be a vacuum leak. That's the only thing I know of that can cause a "surge". Could also be a loose nut behind the wheel...

cthusker 10-13-2023 06:12 PM

I gotta vote for WIDE FOOT SYNDROME! :rofl:

jjfabs 10-13-2023 07:32 PM

My foot is a size 13 EEE, I have put my foot on the stop and the go pedal at the same time a few times. I drive a manual.

Jim2003 10-13-2023 09:13 PM

I would lean toward wide foot issues rather than car issues!

VegasDan 10-13-2023 09:15 PM

Plus 1 for the wide foot syndrome.
I play a game called "Cowboy Action Shooting", which involves shooting old west firearms in western garb - so I am often wearing boots.
My size 12 boots invariably hit both brake and accelerator at the same time (and yes, it scares you silly the first time).
After the first few times; now I can avoid it IF I think about it. But since it doesn't seem to happen in my Reeboks (refuse to wear New Balance just to avoid the stereotype). I now just keep a extra pair of shoes in the Corvette for the times when I will be wearing boots at my destination; but dont want to drive in boots.

torquetube 10-14-2023 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Undatakr (Post 1607137498)
I've got a 2007 base Coupe with automatic trans and it seems to me that at times, when lifting my foot off the accelerator and braking, the Vette accelerates and quite honestly scares the crap out of me. I can't seem to figure out if I'm not moving my fat foot (size 11 EEEE) far enough left and I'm pressing down on the brake and accelerator simultaneously or if there's something amiss in the drive-by-wire circuitry. It only seems to happen at slow speeds like pulling into a parking spot or coming close to the garage wall! Has anybody else out there had this occur? Is it me or the Vette?

Put it in park and rev the engine. Do the revs hang on the way down to idle? Does it idle around 650rpm? Try it while holding the brakes, too.

HK770 10-14-2023 01:05 AM

With only 1 foot ( shoesize 9) have never noticed any engine speed difference!
While parking in Home Garage less than a foot off wall.
Think it's your foot !!

mtofell 10-14-2023 06:20 AM

Biggest piece of missing information - is this something new? How long have you had the Vette? If you're a long time owner and just now noticing this behavior I'd lean towards something with the car. If you're a new or newish owner I'd lean towards the driver error comments :)

vetteish 10-14-2023 07:16 AM

Floor mat resting on the pedal?

449er 10-14-2023 08:36 AM

Never had this issue with my C6 cars

tommyc6z06 10-14-2023 09:22 AM

interesting...I have a friend with a C7 ZR1 automatical, and he said that at WOT (fasssst!), when he lifted off suddenly...it seemed to take a fraction of a sec for the throttle to close. Almost like it was hanging. When he eased off, it was fine.
I have no details...of rpm, speed, temp...but he owns a renowned LS shop and happens to be my tuner. He tuned it out as soon as HP tuners made those cars tunable...

Kenny94945 10-14-2023 09:56 AM

Wide feet.
Floor mat.
Those are the best guesses IMO.

Going a step further, the blade of the throttle body is not closing fast enough.
Sticking gas pedal, sticky blade, intake leak, wiring to TB, computer coding.

Take out the floor mat and re-report.
Good luck.

RetroGuy 10-14-2023 10:21 AM

You know what women say about a man who has LARGE feet...

...he has to pay more for his shoes :D

Undatakr 10-15-2023 11:04 AM

Thanks to everyone for your opinions, especially those that thought I might have a legitimate problem and made constructive, useful suggestions. It's not the mat, it's properly installed so I'm going to blame it on me and old age. Going to make an effort to be sure I'm lifting my foot and moving it farther left and seeing if the issue goes away. I'll report back if things don't change...........