CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   would i be making a mistake buying a c7 now instead of a c8? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4792811-would-i-be-making-a-mistake-buying-a-c7-now-instead-of-a-c8.html)

KittyHeart 12-22-2023 03:36 PM

would i be making a mistake buying a c7 now instead of a c8?

preface: i am on the waiting list for a c8, but every day, i find myself frantically searching used car sites for a used c7 grand sport

its like i'm "fighting" my wait list

after test driving both cars for 20 mins, like a first date impression, i feel the c7 fits my needs much more for daily driving purposes

like many members mention, the c8 has excellent handling, acceleration, steering, braking, feel, etc. but im not really after all of that for daily driving. im after the c7's large storage space, cabin space, and ease of finding a mechanic for a front engine car

but the c8 does have the front lift, auto folding side mirrors, blind spot detectors, and numerous parking cameras. the c7 only has a few cameras and nothing else

the c8 is superior as a "pure driving car" in terms of driving fun. the c7 is superior as a "daily driver" in terms of doing it all

the c8 is better suited as a 2nd car or weekend car, the c7 is better suited as an everyday car

ive talked to many local mechanics, they do not work on mid engine cars. but they said they'd all work on the c7

i do not know how long term ownership costs of c8 compare to c7, but nearly 80% of voters on this forum say they are not comfortable owning a c8 out of warranty, while the c7's are mostly out of warranty and im still willing to buy; i feel the c8 is not a long-term keeper car while the c7 is a long term keeper car

these are my thoughts

im still on the waitlist for a c8, but i feel the c7 is more for my needs

is my ideas wrong? is there something about the c8 that im missing? this is a big purchase so looking for c8 owners' thoughts

kromdom 12-22-2023 03:38 PM

Life is short. Buy the C7 now and enjoy it. Looks like this is your 2nd thread about wanting the C7 more:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ake-sense.html

P.S. FWIW, I was all set to buy a C7....then the C8 came out. No brainer decision for me to buy the C8 instead.

OnPoint 12-22-2023 04:02 PM

If you like the C7 GS, go get one.

And have some fun.

:cheers:

GOLD72 12-22-2023 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1607358338)
If you like the C7 GS, go get one.

And have some fun.

:cheers:

:iagree: Assuming it’s the first corvette ownership, get the C7 now!!

BlindSpot 12-22-2023 04:15 PM

Follow what your instincts are telling you. Don't let your thoughts get influenced by forum warp.

Those are two good choices...make one.

And BTW, your comment - preface: i am on the waiting list for a c8, but every day, i find myself frantically searching used car sites for a used c7 grand sport its like i'm "fighting" my wait list

I (and many, I presume) had a similar experience.

GTS Bruce 12-22-2023 04:23 PM

C7 definitely a mistake compared to a c8. Like getting a 2 wheel drive truck when you could of had a 4x4. An electric bicycle vs motorcycle. Sail boat vs power boat. Prop plane vs jet. 3 wheeler vs 4 wheeler. 22 cal vs 45acp. Projection tv vs qled tv. Wire vs fiber optic.....

Jbyrd43 12-22-2023 04:28 PM

I had a C7 and really didn’t enjoy it. I sold it in 8 months. It has issues, probably got a lemon.
The C8, I probably won’t sell or I’ll trade in on a z06. It’s the perfect car for me and my wants/needs
As for storage, I actually feel like my c8 has more usable space. Sure, it doesn’t have as much vertically but I never stacked up like that anyway. For normal things, carry ons, groceries I feel this is more practice for me. Obviously we all do our own things.
Id wait. It’s worth it

Scruff Vette 12-22-2023 04:29 PM

I've had 2 C7s and now a C8.. Add to that list of C7 pluses not having to find a parking spot where you can open the looong and wide drivers door enough to comfortably get out and hope nobody parks next to you so you can get back in. Also, if it's a coupe storing the top in the back is much easier in the C7 horizontally than dropping it in vertically in the C8 trunk and hoping you got it pushed all the way into the slots since it's difficult to see. That said, I love the way it drives so much, I accept the compromise and work around it's shortcomings .I could never go back and be happy with the loss of overall performance.

Bluehinder 12-22-2023 04:36 PM

Just look at a C7 next to a C8. What do your eyes and heart tell you? Listen to them.

4thC4at60 12-22-2023 04:58 PM

I put a lot of miles on two C7s.... really liked both cars.... with that said, I love my C8. (8th Vette)

Kvou812 12-22-2023 07:44 PM

Here is a comparison picture to help. Not my cars but they look pretty close to my C8 and previous C7 GS.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...af5b921a98.jpg

Avanti 12-22-2023 07:55 PM

If you find a good C7, it would not be a bad move at all, especially pricewise if that's any concern. :thumbs:

C5racecar 12-22-2023 08:18 PM

I had a C4, C5, C6, now C8.
I skipped C7 because I am just not interested in that old front engine platform.
I could not spend money on a refreshed version of an old design.

But that's me, I like new and modern. I can't stand to be behind the state-of-the art curve.
If you have driven both and you are trying to decide, that tells me that you don't see any value in the new and modern.
C8 is just a car with some new features for you. C7 has great features too.

I bought a C8 without ever test driving one. I knew it would be that good, and have never been disappointed.
If new and modern is not important to you, buy a C7.
If the mid engine DCT format is not exciting to you, buy a C7
If you are OK with 10 year old technology, buy a C7.

For me there was no choice, nothing to consider. If you think they are both equal in appeal, save your money.

DFA 12-22-2023 08:22 PM

Kittyheart, I sent you a PM.............
DFA

mortelec 12-22-2023 08:33 PM

I had a 17 Grand Sport before my C8. Personally I wouldn't go back to a C7 after having the C8. The C8 is years ahead of the C7. The C7 came out in 14 and basically didn't change much through it's life and it's 10 year old technology.

C5racecar 12-22-2023 09:37 PM

I agree with mortelec. Light years ahead.
For me, I need to have the most modern technology. But I am a design engineer, always looking for what is new.
Think of how much money I spent on those values.

I can understand that some people just want a stylish, fast, dependable sports car, and either car will work.

J-Fly 12-22-2023 10:05 PM

I remember when I was saving up for a ND (2016) Miata. I found a good deal on a NC (2014) Miata and took. I regretted that decision every time the newer Miata zoomed passed me. KittyHeart, will that happen to you?

RKCRLR 12-22-2023 10:08 PM

I've had both a 2015 C7 Z51 and now a 2020 C8 Z51. I'm a mid engine fan and wouldn't go back to the C7. But the C7 is a great car and the last of an era and probably the best of the front engine Corvettes. If you like the C7 then get it.

Vetteman Jack 12-22-2023 11:24 PM

Thing is, there really is not a bad decision to be made between the two cars. Each has +/-. Sounds to me like the C7 just might be the better choice for you, at least for now.

maiden rules 12-22-2023 11:52 PM

for me it was C8 vs. C7 Z06. Both were about the same price but the Z06 was 5-6 years old and out of warranty. Both incredible cars though. I felt as if my choice could not have been wrong. I chose C8 and I am very happy.