CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Anyone afraid to take their C8 out to public places? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4793698-anyone-afraid-to-take-their-c8-out-to-public-places.html)

DAC17 12-27-2023 08:04 PM

Anyone afraid to take their C8 out to public places?

Thinking about either a 2024 C8 or a 2024 CT5-V Blackwing (yes, I get it; two distinct cars). But I don't really need the extra space in the Blackwing, but it seems to fly under the radar a little more than the C8. Anyone buy a C8 and find themselves worried about taking such a beautiful car out in public? Almost seems like taking out a piece of art. Figured maybe someone else had this issue...

Thanks.

2500 hd 12-27-2023 08:05 PM

If you are not going to be able to take it places and enjoy it, why get it ?

DAC17 12-27-2023 08:11 PM

Question raised since maybe I was overplaying it, and wondered if someone else might have had the same issue and gotten past it after a few weeks or so.

/Bear/ 12-27-2023 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by DAC17 (Post 1607371289)
Thinking about either a 2024 C8 or a 2024 CT5-V Blackwing (yes, I get it; two distinct cars). But I don't really need the extra space in the Blackwing, but it seems to fly under the radar a little more than the C8. Anyone buy a C8 and find themselves worried about taking such a beautiful car out in public? Almost seems like taking out a piece of art. Figured maybe someone else had this issue...

Thanks.

What exactly do you think would be your concerns?

Gary barnes 1098 12-27-2023 08:17 PM

You sound a lot like myself.
I look at it this way…….dont let other people control your decisions. Don’t think your cars always gonna be perfect. Buy it and drive it. Anything can be fixed to look like factory.That c8 isn’t gonna increase in value.
Too many garage queens that barely drive them and keep them perfect to eventually sell them for market price and give that guy a helluva car.
I don’t make huge money and have a descent payment to pay every month,I’m gonna have fun driving the hell out of it. Good luck

JABCAT 12-27-2023 08:25 PM

If you live in or frequent areas that taking an expensive vehicle out in public would be of concern, then buying an expensive vehicle is probably not the best decision.

Jettcity1 12-27-2023 08:26 PM

Buy a protection plan and run the car anywhere you want to go.
Yes, it is a very special car but you want to enjoy it every chance you can.
Life is short, you drive it and have fun.

Bluehinder 12-27-2023 08:26 PM

A car not driven is just another car.

1 STING 12-27-2023 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by DAC17 (Post 1607371289)
... Anyone buy a C8 and find themselves worried about taking such a beautiful car out in public?

Depends on locations. Never to a Walmart, large cities, or questionable neighborhoods, to avoid the appearance of showing off. My preferred places are where my car is the least expensive one.

George

/Bear/ 12-27-2023 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1 STING (Post 1607371353)
Depends on locations. Never to a Walmart, large cities, or questionable neighborhoods, to avoid the appearance of showing off. My preferred places are where my car is the least expensive one.

George

I don't think there's a place like that anywhere close to where I live.

I'm still wondering if his concern is parking it and leaving it somewhere (vandalism or theft)? Or some things that could happen while he's still in the car?

d454brisson 12-27-2023 08:47 PM

It depends on the location for the most part. In the city of DC or Baltimore, most likely not if its going to be parked. DC driving is pretty much "car jacking" target season, and if not that a cab or bus will hit you. Walmart, Target and the like yes but park far out, good for a stroll.

1 STING 12-27-2023 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by /Bear/ (Post 1607371380)
... I'm still wondering if his concern is parking it and leaving it somewhere (vandalism or theft)?

I don't think there is a single Corvette owner that doesn't have that thought in the back of his mind.

Or some things that could happen while he's still in the car?
I try my best to be careful at all times but I let the insurance company worry about that one.

DAC17 12-27-2023 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by /Bear/ (Post 1607371380)
I don't think there's a place like that anywhere close to where I live.

I'm still wondering if his concern is parking it and leaving it somewhere (vandalism or theft)? Or some things that could happen while he's still in the car?

More about leaving it where people will not be nearly as careful as I am, or deliberately do damage. No concern about with me in the car.

tadda 12-27-2023 09:02 PM

My C8 is strictly used for pleasure....

I use the SUV to go shopping, movies, appointments, etc and any other places where I may have to park in large parking lots or locations that might be sketchy....

Waterline 12-27-2023 09:06 PM

Depends where you are

Originally Posted by 1 STING (Post 1607371399)
I don't think there is a single Corvette owner that doesn't have that thought in the back of his mind.

I try my best to be careful at all times but I let the insurance company worry about that one.

Insurance will help, but as soon as you use it, the premium will double. Park it in San Francisco, downtown Los Angeles, parts of Sacramento, Oakland or any other crap area in California. I'm sure right after talking with your insurance company you'll start to worry about the car from that day on. I never take my car to those places because I do think and worry about it.

DAC17 12-27-2023 09:07 PM

I have a Trax for sketchy areas. Guess my concerns might be overblown.

1 STING 12-27-2023 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by DAC17 (Post 1607371414)
... or deliberately do damage...

That is not only a factor but a reality.

A friend found his vert with the top down at a convenience store with 32 ounces of Coke spilled on his seats. I made a poor decision in taking my '04 Mystichrome Cobra to a Walmart, someone parked 2" or 3" away from the driver's side, enough to distract me not to notice a 4" nail which popped a rear tire the moment I backed out. I am sure glad I wasn't carrying.

Lesson learned.

BADBIRDCAGE 12-27-2023 09:25 PM

Not afraid to drive the car. Been all over the states on road trips. Parked everywhere. In three years haven’t had any incidents. The majority of people aren’t bad people and don’t try to do damage to your car. There are a-holes out there. Been lucky so far. Can’t dwell on the negative.

kromdom 12-27-2023 09:26 PM

The thought has crossed my mind....but NOT enough to dissuade or scare me from driving it every chance I get.

Waterline 12-27-2023 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by kromdom (Post 1607371474)
The thought has crossed my mind....but NOT enough to dissuade or scare me from driving it every chance I get.

Driving it isn't the problem. It's parking it.