CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   [C2] Tips on buying 1963 SWC (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4798568-tips-on-buying-1963-swc.html)

Veltis 01-17-2024 11:46 AM

Tips on buying 1963 SWC

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e6bfbc366.jpeg

Build sheet
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...287fa66da.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b8ee43be6.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...53f88b7d9.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...169bfcab1.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fa177d912.jpeg

capevettes 01-17-2024 11:55 AM

The best advice I can give you is to have a knowledgeable Corvette guy inspect the car for you. There are many on this site and with the NCRS all over the country that are ready, willing and able to perform a professional, informed inspection for you. It just makes alot of sense when you are spending 100 grand plus on a car that you are not entirely savvy about.

Bluestripe67 01-17-2024 12:09 PM

Welcome to the CF! I'll repeat the same advice. Seek out an experienced C-2 person, especially for a '63, they have some very different features from the following years. Yes, It will be money well spent helping you avoid an unsavory purchase. Trying to evaluate this car by your self is not recommended. :cheers: Dennis

Tampa Jerry 01-17-2024 12:15 PM

Sage advise. Get the car professionally inspected by a knowledgeable C-2 person. Generally speaking, PS and aftermarket AC can be removed without a problem. Good luck with your search and post pictures when you acquire it. Jerry

vettebuyer6369 01-17-2024 12:17 PM

The answers you have received are correct. Theres no amount of “tips” we can give a newcomer that can make you properly prepared to buy a collectible as complicated and expensive and commonly misrepresented as a ‘63 split window.

Ive had 3 split windows and still ask for an experienced second set of eyes on a car I consider.

Get someone who is knowledgable about 63-67 Corvettes and who has specific experience with the split window. It’s an odd duck with a laundry list of unique details and issues. Dont blow this one. Get qualified help, end of story. And never just accept a seller’s word for ANYTHING.

Verify all relevant numbers. Look at every piece of paper, including documentation and receipts. Look hard at the body and frame for prior damage or repairs or rust. I flew halfway across the country once to buy a SWC only to lay on my back and feel a repaired seam in a frame rail. Only after finding it did the seller admit he had that work done. Never accept what you are told on the surface.

Veltis 01-17-2024 12:22 PM

This is great stuff, I appreciate all the help. Just for some more context this car is out of country and lives in Canada. So I do plan on visiting it and inspecting it. Is it possible that there is NCRS folks in that area or what would the best route of getting someone inspecting it out of the country?

BADBIRDCAGE 01-17-2024 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Veltis (Post 1607435534)
Hello everyone, I am currently in the market for buying a 1963 Split window and I have one currently on my radar Sebring Silver/Black interior w/340hp engine.

I am however new to the market and buying these types of cars and would like to know more about what I should be looking for when it comes to the numbers matching and also finding out if the car has any damages that have been hidden underneath the paint.

the car had a frame off restoration and the paint I was told was redone in 1986 and he says it’s 90/100 which I am assuming is the quality. It also has been fitted with aftermarket AC and power steering, because it’s a driver also. Not sure if these can be reversed if I do that down the road.

please let me know if you have any tips that I could use to get out this car is genuine and doesn’t have any damage done to the car and is in good quality.

IF the car was a frame off there could (and should) be a recorded photographic record of the event. That would answer a lot of questions for you.

The car has added PS and AC. If those are considerations to remove in order to return to a more “original” configuration move on to a different car.

63 Blue Thunder 01-17-2024 12:55 PM

Where is the car located in Canada?

The Ontario Chapter of NCRS has lots of mid year guys who would be glad to help you out if it is local.

gold63 01-17-2024 12:56 PM

Ditto all of the above.
The sellers RPO list for this car doesn't hold much water. Pictures show a low horsepower tach which wouldn't reflect a 340.
898 leather only came in Saddle not black, plus where are those back-up-lamps?

63 Blue Thunder 01-17-2024 01:11 PM

Looking further. I see that the car is likely in British Columbia. Long way from Ontario so can't help you with inspectors.

Pictures appear to show a pretty decent restoration but I would need a lot of questions answered about what I see before I would even think about having an inspection.

vettebuyer6369 01-17-2024 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by gold63 (Post 1607435767)
Ditto all of the above.
The sellers RPO list for this car doesn't hold much water. Pictures show a low horsepower tach which wouldn't reflect a 340.
898 leather only came in Saddle not black, plus where are those back-up-lamps?

Excellent post.

vettebuyer6369 01-17-2024 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE (Post 1607435669)
IF the car was a frame off there could (and should) be a recorded photographic record of the event. That would answer a lot of questions for you.

The car has added PS and AC. If those are considerations to remove in order to return to a more “original” configuration move on to a different car.

If you love the car and the price is right and want to remove PS and the AC, I wouldnt move on to another car over it.

Id be more concerned with the seller acting like that 340 horse is original while having a lower hp tach in place as well as claiming back up lamps and leather seats which didnt happen with black. Look very carefully at the trim tag, engine stamp and VIN plate. Are there pictures of these 3 items available?

Its possible the backup lamps were lost during restoration, but some restorations, particularly in 1986, could have done some damage to the car in actuality.

Veltis 01-17-2024 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by 63 Blue Thunder (Post 1607435762)
Where is the car located in Canada?

The Ontario Chapter of NCRS has lots of mid year guys who would be glad to help you out if it is local.

The owner of the car said it was in Vancouver. Thanks for the help.

Veltis 01-17-2024 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by vettebuyer6369 (Post 1607435886)
If you love the car and the price is right and want to remove PS and the AC, I wouldnt move on to another car over it.

Id be more concerned with the seller acting like that 340 horse is original while having a lower hp tach in place as well as claiming back up lamps and leather seats which didnt happen with black. Look very carefully at the trim tag, engine stamp and VIN plate. Are there pictures of these 3 items available?

Its possible the backup lamps were lost during restoration, but some restorations, particularly in 1986, could have done some damage to the car in actuality.

I would have to request those items since they are not listed on the website being sold from. I can send them in forums once I receive them👍🏼 again thanks for the help.

begee22 01-17-2024 01:37 PM

If in Vancouver, B.C. contact Grant Wong NCRS Master Judge..................VERY knowledgable re:'63's! :thumbs: begee22

Veltis 01-17-2024 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by begee22 (Post 1607435945)
If in Vancouver, B.C. contact Grant Wong NCRS Master Judge..................VERY knowledgable re:'63's! :thumbs: begee22

Great!

thanks for your help!

morly1963 01-17-2024 02:00 PM

Get some one that knows 63's to look it over n send us more picks if u can. Ive had my 63 since 89 n I am still learning about what to look for.
Good luck n keep us posted.

SupremeDeluxe 01-17-2024 02:06 PM

Everyone is right--you need to hire a consultant to evaluate what you're buying. Posting many pictures here will get you A LOT of information on what's good/bad, but that isn't enough to take action with.

I have been doing this a very long time and have bought/sold some very high-end examples, and I still phone a friend and get a fresh set of eyes on a car before I pull the trigger.

898 would be saddle interior. Silver/saddle is a pretty extraordinary color scheme.

begee22 01-17-2024 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe (Post 1607436041)
Everyone is right--you need to hire a consultant to evaluate what you're buying. Posting many pictures here will get you A LOT of information on what's good/bad, but that isn't enough to take action with.

I have been doing this a very long time and have bought/sold some very high-end examples, and I still phone a friend and get a fresh set of eyes on a car before I pull the trigger.

898 would be saddle interior. Silver/saddle is a pretty extraordinary color scheme.

Regarding that 'rare' color combo be aware of reproduction trim tags....................they have become nearly fool proof. Always, always, always have a '63 knowledgable person inspect, especially the prices they are bringing. Good luck. begee22

TAlvarez 01-17-2024 03:13 PM

I'm no expert on these cars, but concerning the sellers list of RPO's that the car came with, it's my understanding that no 1963 cars were delivered with the knock off wheels. That along with other incorrect items that others here have pointed out, reinforces the sentiments about not taking a sellers word for much of anything. As everyone here has said, have it inspected by a professional.

Ted