CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Wiper arm removal (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/4813472-wiper-arm-removal.html)

ckreider33 03-09-2024 09:12 PM

Wiper arm removal

Both wiper arms are totally seized. I tried this tool but it's a no go because the bottom part won't fit under the arm.
Removal Repair Tool. Does anyone know a tool that will fit a C5 to remove the wiper arms?
Thanks

RedC5 03-09-2024 10:00 PM

Buy Kroil - spray wait 5 mins and try again.

Lawandorder 03-09-2024 10:04 PM

I used wd40 and it eventually came off

ckreider33 03-09-2024 10:36 PM

I sprayed it with WD40 a few days ago.. I'll look for Kroil at Autozone.. it's been raining so i'll try again in a day or two. Thanks for the suggestions

redzg 03-10-2024 04:42 PM

I used PB Blaster and this puller -- I won't say they came off easily, but they did come off. You might want to take a couple of photos and perhaps make a pair of match marks to get them aligned the same on re-installation.

ckreider33 03-11-2024 01:56 PM

Redzg,
I appreciate your reply, that is just what I was looking for, they should arrive tomorrow. Good idea about preparing for re-installation, I didn't think of that.
I'll post about what progress I have with these. Have a great day

opel 03-12-2024 11:16 PM

You did take the 1/2 nut's off first right? I only ask because the first time I try to remove mine I did not know about them.

ckreider33 03-13-2024 04:01 PM

yes the 1/2 nut's are off. Even with the tool Redzg suggested and PBlaster they are still seized on. I was trying to see underneath where it connects if there is some kinda button or something i'm missing. This sux because I can't change the windshield cowl without getting the wiper arms off first. I put more PBlaster on and i'll try again later.

edit to mention that the tool Redzg suggested only fits the driver side arm.. only half of the tool will fit to grasp onto the passenger side wiper arm.

redzg 03-13-2024 04:46 PM

No sneaky parts. Just the cap, a 13mm hex nut, and the arm.
I watched a half dozen youtube vids to see if anyone shows a recalcitrant arm set, but they all either just skip showing the arms coming off, or show it being a piece of cake. great
I do want to verify that you have the arms lifted to the detent position while attempting removal, yes? I'm sure you do, but have been bit in the ass by simple things in my past. If the blades are against the windshield that would apply an offset preload to the splines. No beuno.
When all else fails, the answer is usually heat. Now, how to apply heat to the end of the wiper arm without inducing risk to other components -- such as the cowl panel -- is a good question. Mine argued too. There may have been multiple applications of both PB Blaster and my most effusive collection of four letter words. You might also try freezing the shafts. Just as heat would expand the arm spline rings, cold would shrink the shaft and splines. New cold spray isn't as good as old cold spray, but it still gets cold.

ckreider33 03-14-2024 02:33 PM

Success! today both wiper arms came off by using the tool Redzg suggested. it took just about maybe 10 pounds of pressure pulling up while the tool was on and they popped off. Here's a picture with the cowl off. Now I can clean under there and attach a new cowl that i bought a while ago. Thank you all for your help, I couldn't have done it without you guys.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cf41e2f297.jpg

redzg 03-14-2024 04:27 PM

Glad it worked out for you! Tool works very well on post style battery terminals too -- though I have never had those stick nearly as bad as my wiper arms did.

greenscobie86 03-20-2024 12:43 PM

I was able to pull mine off after a little penetrating oil and some furious wiggling.

redzg 03-20-2024 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by greenscobie86 (Post 1607638695)
I was able to pull mine off after a little penetrating oil and some furious wiggling.

Garaged or driveway kept car? I imagine those of us who keep the car in the drive are going to have the most trouble.

leadfoot4 03-20-2024 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by redzg (Post 1607639544)
Garaged or driveway kept car? I imagine those of us who keep the car in the drive are going to have the most trouble.

I would imagine that a little dab of "anti-seize" on the splines, before reinstallation of the arms, would be a good precaution, just in case the need to remove again, comes to pass.....

greenscobie86 03-20-2024 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by redzg (Post 1607639544)

Fair point, my car was garaged its whole life by the looks of it. That being said the splines were pretty crusty, a drop of PB Blaster helped a bunch prior to removing them I believe.