CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 Opinions (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4817524-c7-opinions.html)

Diamondxx 03-24-2024 08:50 PM

C7 Opinions

It has been a minute since I have been on this forum - post owning my 1990 C4 corvette I got out of high school.

I am wanting to get back into corvette ownership - I have been looking for a couple of months now, initially wanted a M7 but I have decided to go A8 since it will be my daily driver and I haven't driven a manual since my 2002 Toyota Celica... I found this C7 at CarMax and given their positive reputation/warranty as of recent. I wanted to get some opinion on pricing/features of this specific car. I have done extensive research and this appears to be a very good deal but I do want to consult those of you who have been consistently in the game for a while now. It is currently being shipped to my local CarMax dealer so I haven't made the purchase besides the transport fee. Thanks and I appreciate the opinions!

Details:
2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2LT
7,500 Miles
2 Owners
CarMax Price: $59,950
5YR/75K Mile Warranty: $2,350
Clean Carfax & Auto Check Reports
Factory Sticker Info Attached Below

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5cf6798492.png
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cead3989ad.png
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a198e012b1.png
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...394e64028d.png
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1916a88598.png
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a6aaef57af.png
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0ed3d2a362.png

MSG C5 03-24-2024 08:58 PM

Looks clean. It has a few subtle interior cosmetic mods, i.e. carbon fiber center console plate, steering wheel, and extended paddle shifters. Might want to confirm status of the transmission to see if there was any warranty work done on the A8, i.e. triple flush, etc.

duckvett 03-24-2024 09:04 PM

If you have the VIN number, go to your local GM dealer and ask them to run a GMVIS report. Specifically to see if the Triple Flush has been done on the A8 transmission. If it has not been done see if CarMax will pay for it to be done or knock $1000 off the price.
C7 ZO6 and Grand Sport OEM wheels are prone to bend and crack. Remove the wheels and inspect very carefully around the inside bead for hairline cracks. If you find any cracks the aftermarket forged wheels to replace OEM are upwards of $5000-6000. GM will not help you on this issue, that comes out of your pocket.
I see some nice interior modifications have been done - shift paddles.
:cheers:

Diamondxx 03-24-2024 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by MSG C5 (Post 1607652827)
Looks clean. It has a few subtle interior cosmetic mods, i.e. carbon fiber center console plate, steering wheel, and extended paddle shifters. Might want to confirm status of the transmission to see if there was any warranty work done on the A8, i.e. triple flush, etc.

Originally Posted by duckvett (Post 1607652836)
If you have the VIN number, go to your local GM dealer and ask them to run a GMVIS report. Specifically to see if the Triple Flush has been done on the A8 transmission. If it has not been done see if CarMax will pay for it to be done or knock $1000 off the price.
C7 ZO6 and Grand Sport OEM wheels are prone to bend and crack. Remove the wheels and inspect very carefully around the inside bead for hairline cracks. If you find any cracks the aftermarket forged wheels to replace OEM are upwards of $5000-6000. GM will not help you on this issue, that comes out of your pocket.

Appreciate the advice from both of you. Based on my research with the C7 GS wheel issues - CarMax has it fully covered if cracks ever do develop under their MaxCare warranty timeframe. I will reach out to the dealer tomorrow with the VIN to have them run the report - didn't think about that one but knew it was going to be a potential flush needed.

Squeaky Wheel 03-24-2024 09:24 PM

Looks like a nice one to me. Has the highly desirable 2LT trim package with a lot of great options. NPP, Mag Ride, HUD etc. As long as it’s accident free and has had the transmission triple flush, and doesn’t present any odd driving characteristics, (vibrations, shudder etc), I think you would be very happy with it. Love the 2 tone interior! I would opt for their extended warranty just for the added peace of mind. Good luck and keep us updated. 😀

C5FORFUN2 03-24-2024 09:32 PM

Looks like a perfect choice to me! Very well equipped Z07 pkg too.

Avanti 03-24-2024 09:33 PM

The OEM wheel issue isn't necessarily that simple. Others have tried to get replacements from GM due to the easy of damage, only to find them consistently out-of-stock. Perhaps things have changed of late, but I always recommend anyone who intends to actually drive a wide-body C7 consider a set of quality fully-forged aftermarket wheels as a part of the cost of admission. All the best in any event. :thumbs:

Vetteman Jack 03-25-2024 12:13 AM

Nice looking car and well equipped. Not a bad price either.

Skid Row Joe 03-25-2024 01:49 AM

Miles are LOW. That's terrific. Price is higher than I'd pay. Warranty is high. I paid $1,200.00 for my GM Platinum 7-year, 54K mile, zero $ deductible policy.
I'm not a GS fan.
I own a 2017 Stingray, 3LT, MSRC, non-Z51, Blk wheels. 27% degree tinted windows.
Not an automatic transmission fan, mine's an M7.
Not a coupe fan, I own a convertible. My last Corvette was a T-Top.
I bought mine new, -20% off MSRP, for a tad over $60K. Owned 7.5 years now.

If you like it, that's all that matters. Sounds like a great car.

Mrchen 03-25-2024 05:07 AM

Nice car, super low miles, well equipped, decent price for our market, not sure about buying a warranty from carmax but other than that, sweet C7

449er 03-25-2024 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by duckvett (Post 1607652836)

:iagree: Wise advice above

shekmark427 03-25-2024 07:12 AM

Looks great. Love the interior. A bit jealous. Lol. Of course ai like the black .

corvettezman 03-25-2024 07:44 AM

The beauty of all of this is that you have a 30 day test drive and 90 day warranty no questions asked.
Buy it, see if you like it or have any issues with it for 29 days.
If it does not fit your liking, return it with no pushbacks.
No one else will offer you this luxury. Take the MaxCare warranty too. don't cheap out on it.
I love this car. Very tastefully done. Grab it before someone else does. Cars don't last long at CarMax.

Good luck!

4XLR8N 03-25-2024 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mrchen (Post 1607653357)
Nice car, super low miles, well equipped, decent price for our market, not sure about buying a warranty from carmax but other than that, sweet C7

:iagree: If you don't mind taking care of a black car, this one sure is pretty!

Bayshore Vette 03-25-2024 12:51 PM

Other than the wheel issue, I would consider eliminating the black out of the rear reflectors. Cause for ticketing. Nothing shines like a newly washed black car, but I will never own another one again. Too hard to keep clean...

orca1946 03-25-2024 01:14 PM

Let us know if you buy it. It looks like a car you will enjoy.

PaConehead 03-25-2024 01:31 PM

Lots of good advice above, but also note that the Z07 package includes the ceramic brakes and rotors - a rather expensive option and also an expensive maintenance item down the road.- especially if you're not tracking the car. Goor luck

Diamondxx 03-25-2024 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by PaConehead (Post 1607654818)
Lots of good advice above, but also note that the Z07 package includes the ceramic brakes and rotors - a rather expensive option and also an expensive maintenance item down the road.- especially if you're not tracking the car. Goor luck

Is there significant wear if not being tracked? I thought the rotors would last a pretty long time if not worked hard.

George_L 03-25-2024 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by PaConehead (Post 1607654818)

If you are not tracking they are probably life of the car items. Definitely the rotors and most likely the pads unless you really drive hard. A friend of mine has been tracking his car for 4 years, probably 4 or 5 times a year and he is still on the original pads and rotors. Very little brake dust also. If you track the car often get iron brakes.

Bill Dearborn 03-25-2024 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Diamondxx (Post 1607655629)
Is there significant wear if not being tracked? I thought the rotors would last a pretty long time if not worked hard.

Yes, the rotors last a very long time if the car is only street-driven. The iron rotors last a long time as well but the ceramics probably last twice as long. I tried to tell what they looked like from the pictures but there wasn't enough detail. The car looks good but only looking at it in person will let you know for sure. I think it is a good price for a Z07 car.

From a brake wear standpoint, Corvettes do very well since the brakes are closer to track level than street level and for some reason, most Corvette owners baby them thus having problems due to babying the brakes.

Bill