CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Google Infotainment on new C8s (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4819501-google-infotainment-on-new-c8s.html)

Korbek 04-01-2024 09:30 AM

Google Infotainment on new C8s

Question for those with 2024 C8s, how annoying is the google infotainment?

I read a post from an owner saying it keeps bombarding him with messages to log into an account for connected services or something. Is this true? Is there any way to turn it OFF OFF?

I am considering buying a new C8 having sold my 2022, but may have to consider buying a used one with an extended warranty if this google crap is TRULY irritating for those of us who dont WANT "connected services". If those messages/alerts can be stopped then I MIGHT be able to tolerate it.

I was already going go disconnect the cellular antenna, but if the dang infotainment is going to be nagging me constantly I may simply not be in the market anymore for "new" ones.

SnowyATX 04-01-2024 10:00 AM

My experience is it was bugging me initially. I purchased the car off the lot near Chicago and the dealer wanted to set up my phone app. Said, okay, no biggy. I was on my back to Texas so ONSTAR was not activated in terms of me pushing the “blue button” and forking over my CC. Salesman said please, please do it before leaving the lot (I get $75). Well, I wanted a Starbucks and to learn the basics of the car before heading South worse so I drove off. I think during this time it was trying to set up the Google crap asking for access, I just declined everything. I used CarPlay/Waze for 1100 miles.
I didn’t push the blue button until I got home. Blah, blah, sales pitch, no u can’t have my CC.
I went into settings and literally turned off google maps, and multiple others. Something happened at the 30 day mark regarding ONSTAR. That combined with turning the apps off, I get no nags of any type.
whether it is spying on me no idea, plenty of threads on that but for me and the sequence of events above I get no nags.

Korbek 04-01-2024 10:16 AM

Thank you for the feedback. I may need to PM you on the "how" of turning it off so I dont get nagged if I end up buying one.

Orion2011 04-01-2024 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Korbek (Post 1607676341)

I read a post from an owner saying it keeps bombarding him with messages to log into an account for connected services or something. Is this true? Is there any way to turn it OFF OFF?

I am considering buying a new C8 having sold my 2022, but may have to consider buying a used one with an extended warranty if this google crap is TRULY irritating for those of us who dont WANT "connected services". If those messages/alerts can be stopped then I MIGHT be able to tolerate it.

I was already going go disconnect the cellular antenna, but if the dang infotainment is going to be nagging me constantly I may simply not be in the market anymore for "new" ones.

I logged into Google on mine...

khearon23 04-01-2024 11:20 AM

It's not as bad as the claims. I only get pop-ups reminding me about a service when I select a feature that I don't have.

Same as it would in any other car,/computer.

​​​​​​I did login with my Google account to set things up.

JRYELLOWCORVETTE 04-01-2024 11:41 AM

GM needs to allow you to turn off the subscription completely without having it bug you. No thanks means NO

24RiptideBlue 04-01-2024 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by SnowyATX (Post 1607676455)
My experience is it was bugging me initially. I purchased the car off the lot near Chicago and the dealer wanted to set up my phone app. Said, okay, no biggy. I was on my back to Texas so ONSTAR was not activated in terms of me pushing the “blue button” and forking over my CC. Salesman said please, please do it before leaving the lot (I get $75). Well, I wanted a Starbucks and to learn the basics of the car before heading South worse so I drove off. I think during this time it was trying to set up the Google crap asking for access, I just declined everything. I used CarPlay/Waze for 1100 miles.
I didn’t push the blue button until I got home. Blah, blah, sales pitch, no u can’t have my CC.
I went into settings and literally turned off google maps, and multiple others. Something happened at the 30 day mark regarding ONSTAR. That combined with turning the apps off, I get no nags of any type.
whether it is spying on me no idea, plenty of threads on that but for me and the sequence of events above I get no nags.

Hmmmmm I wish I had the same luck…. I spent hours in my 2024 going down all the damn menus turning things off. I also declined to sign into a Google account (don’t have one…. Don’t want one…)…. I thought I was all set but when I started my car the other day I got an Onstar message asking me to contact them to pick a data plan…. And another Google message asking me to sign into “my Google assistant….”

Trying to think logically it’s not that big a deal as they go away after a minute or so but in real life I absolutely despise these stupid god damn sales pitch messages in MY car… it makes me feel like it’s not my car. It feels like gm’s car and I’m just borrowing it….

And the loss of Nav is annoying as hell whether I use my phone or not…

My 2024 has 85 miles and I already asked MacMulkin (who were supposed to order me a 2023) to find me a 2023 so I can trade down a year.

Others don’t mind this stuff…. I hate it. Every time I get one of those insipid messages I’m reminded I have no control of what my car’s infotainment system displays….

24RiptideBlue 04-01-2024 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by JRYELLOWCORVETTE (Post 1607676792)
GM needs to allow you to turn off the subscription completely without having it bug you. No thanks means NO

Damn right…..

I’m going to call Onstar and also visit my dealer to attempt to get these messages permanently stopped…. If they are still appearing after the Summer I’m going to move on….

With everything we have found out over the last three months regarding gm, Onstar, Google, LexisNexis… gm has done nothing to earn my trust or convince me to remain a customer…

I went against my better judgement when buying the car because the engineers seem to have created an amazing mid engine super car that has no equal in the market place at a price I can afford…. I bought the car gritting my teeth because it’s a gm product… unfortunately gm is a much worse company than even I imagined….

sTz 04-01-2024 02:40 PM

I got use to it, but prefer the 2020-23.

24RiptideBlue 04-01-2024 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Korbek (Post 1607676341)

I’m also going to disconnect the cellular antenna in passenger front wheel well….

When I got the car home it took me hours to find and turn off all the nonsense.

Google Assistant - off
Onstar location services - off
WiFi - off
Hot spot - off
OTA - off

There is an entire screen dedicated just to the numerous software licenses the car apparently needs to operate… the 2023 obviously has some of the same features but no Google assistant…

I have a smart phone. It works great and I use it all the time. AND it never annoys me with adds if I am not using news or other voluntary apps…. Unlike my car that litters the infotainment screen with adds when I just want to change the radio station.

As far as I can tell the adds only appear at start up.

I just wanted a fun fast car and my other vehicles aren’t ancient. My daily is a five year old AMG and my wife just bought a new Subaru… neither litter the infotainment screens with unsolicited adds…

Again, logically it shouldn’t be a big deal but to me the car crosses a line in terms of intrusion…..

Also starting in 2024 gm added automated lane correction that actually steers the car and object detection with automatic braking and pedestrian and cyclists detection with automatic braking. I have both of these systems turned off…. Why would I turn off such features???? Because the manual clearly explains the systems can become confused by shadows or other objects and apply the brakes rapidly and forcefully without warning… this happened to me in another vehicle and it can scare the shit out of anyone…. Driving along minding my own business, something flashed in from of my car but was no risk and “WHAM!!!!” Seat belt tensioners slammed me into the back of my seat as the brakes engaged at maximum force. Thank god there was no one behind us, especially a large truck that would have no hope of stopping and would have totaled us for sure.

It was going C8 shopping today I would absolutely cross 2024 models off and focus on a clean low mileage 2022 or 2023. I posted elsewhere that I already contacted my dealer asking them to find me a 2023 to swap my with my 2024…

EvanZR1 04-01-2024 03:04 PM

I never see them because I use AndroidAuto (and I'd guess the same is true for Carplay). I switched to built-in Google Maps yesterday just to check it, and there was a message at the bottom the screen, but it was a simple 1-button click to dismiss, and it really wasn't obnoxious.

ratman6161 04-01-2024 03:19 PM

Not to offend anyone, but it sounds to me like some people have their tin foil hats on when it comes to having a google account. On any device on the internet go to gmail.com. Create a Gmail account...which IS google account. You dont have to give any personal or financial information. Not even your real name. Heck, my cat has a gmail account (true story) and he also has a facebook page. Save the password somewhere. Use that essentially throw away Gmail account for the car.

please don't lite up your flame throwers :)

Korbek 04-01-2024 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by ratman6161 (Post 1607677522)
Not to offend anyone, but it sounds to me like some people have their tin foil hats on when it comes to having a google account. On any device on the internet go to gmail.com. Create a Gmail account...which IS google account. You dont have to give any personal or financial information. Not even your real name. Heck, my cat has a gmail account (true story) and he also has a facebook page. Save the password somewhere. Use that essentially throw away Gmail account for the car.

Its not about tinfoil hat stuff with the google crap. Its that it has no place in a car. Tinfoil hat stuff is me unplugging the cellular anntena so it cant send my driving habits to Lexusnexis. But as far as google is concerned, it is just mind bogglingly stupid to try to push for you to sign into ANY account of ANY kind just to use the info screen in a car.

IF I ever buy another C8 it is likely going to need to be a one owner, used 2020-2022 with an extended powertrain warranty. I just disagree with turning the car into a google box on principle alone.

24RiptideBlue 04-01-2024 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Korbek (Post 1607677593)
Its not about tinfoil hat stuff with the google crap. Its that it has no place in a car. Tinfoil hat stuff is me unplugging the cellular anntena so it cant send my driving habits to Lexusnexis. But as far as google is concerned, it is just mind bogglingly stupid to try to push for you to sign into ANY account of ANY kind just to use the info screen in a car.

IF I ever buy another C8 it is likely going to need to be a one owner, used 2020-2022 with an extended powertrain warranty. I just disagree with turning the car into a google box on principle alone.

Same…

24RiptideBlue 04-01-2024 04:05 PM

You start your post with “not to offend anyone” and immediately start in with the “tin foil hat” nonsense….

Wow… as someone else mentioned… what is required or not required to open a Google account is not the point. Not even close. It’s about the absurdity of requiring someone who spent close to (or over $100k) for a car to sign into a third party business servers to use functions that were supposed to come with the car. How can gm say the car has “Navigation” but then require you to log into another company to use it?

I don’t have a Google account because I don’t need one and I’m sure as hell not going to create one to drive my car… it’s absurd. It’s a private automobile… it’s not a smart phone or tablet or laptop… it’s a car. I use it to go places. gm or Google or anyone or anything has no right to enter my vehicle physically or electronically for any reason…

robob 04-01-2024 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Orion2011 (Post 1607676701)
I logged into Google on mine...

Bad idea:-)

robob 04-01-2024 04:37 PM

They don't need your name to "fingerprint" you.

khearon23 04-01-2024 04:38 PM

I took a short drive today. No destination in mind; just a quick 150 mile round trip. Not one message asking me to subscribe to anything. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I turned something off when I logged in. Also, I haven't even received anything from OnStar since the day I took delivery. Regarding the infotainment, to me, it's all the same. Google account or a myChevrolet account. This is the future people. All of these CarPlay and Android Auto agreements with OEMs are coming to an end. It's been 10 long years. GM and others will be rolling out their own operating systems... especially with EVs. This Android Automotive OS is the first look with GM, but I think it will probably be kept alive in ICE vehicles that remain in production. This infotainment issue is so polarizing that I'm afraid it may bring back the oldest part of car buying. Some good ole test drives.

Also, I am one who is happy they removed factory navigation. It was always outdated and poorly designed. Audi is the lone OEM exception. I would take this over Tesla's system any day! I hope you guys thinking about selling don't get taken to the cleaners too bad over this. I can't say that the experience is worth selling the car.

ratman6161 04-01-2024 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by 24RiptideBlue (Post 1607677668)
You start your post with “not to offend anyone” and immediately start in with the “tin foil hat” nonsense….

Wow… as someone else mentioned… what is required or not required to open a Google account is not the point. Not even close. It’s about the absurdity of requiring someone who spent close to (or over $100k) for a car to sign into a third party business servers to use functions that were supposed to come with the car. How can gm say the car has “Navigation” but then require you to log into another company to use it?

I don’t have a Google account because I don’t need one and I’m sure as hell not going to create one to drive my car… it’s absurd. It’s a private automobile… it’s not a smart phone or tablet or laptop… it’s a car. I use it to go places. gm or Google or anyone or anything has no right to enter my vehicle physically or electronically for any reason…

Wow. This is why I've been away from this forum for so long. I now see that coming back was a mistake. I was trying to be helpful because people who are not longtime Android users like me might not know what was involved in creating a Google account. So my days of trying to help are over.n don't bother replying as I won't be back.

Rocketmanwpb 04-01-2024 06:23 PM

I couldn't drive my car for a month after delivery. My phone app was set up at delivery. I called OnStar but told them not to activate until I called again. Haven't had any pop-ups or contact from OnStar other than mail. Told the operator unless they had a "deal" I would not go beyond the free trial. No deals have been offered.