CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Cars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars-24/)
-   -   Miata (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars/4819975-miata.html)

Elektro 04-02-2024 03:29 PM

Miata

My husband has been looking at miatas lately. He has a mustang convertible now which is nice but "too big". He is looking at a 2016 grand touring. He used to have an i3 which was a nice size but it was getting long in the tooth (and lousy on the highway...) and before that a great big dodge challenger that you could put a piano and about 7 dead bodies in the trunk.

The kicker is, before I had the short stint with the supra I had a 2016 miata for over 5 years and I liked it. But it was the base model, did not have nice seats or navigation screen or even an automatic transmission. The seats kinda sucked and it was tiny and cramped. He did not like riding in it or driving in it. I I love my vette and think it's a great car. In fact we recently got a new credenza from homegoods and I thought the lady at the store helping to load it was gonna laugh at my little old vette. But she was thankful because she didn't have to pick it up so high like a lot of these trucks and SUVs nowadays. Of course it fit (had to slide the seats all the way up)...

But if he got a miata just like my old one "but better" I'm worried I might be a little jealous. At least we "borrow" each others cars all the time.

If that other guy can post aboot wanting an frc with mag wheels I can post aboot marital/automotive thoughts?

v8srfun 04-02-2024 04:17 PM

The Miata is a fine car especially the ND2 with hard top. Honestly they are in some ways more fun and better than the c5 but what kept me away was the lack of power. If mazda would give the Miata 325-375 hp it would be the car everyone wanted you can not beat the light weight and handling of a Miata but they are just underpowered. Either way if you own a Miata you will be happy with it and get lots of smiles per mile. In some ways a c5 and Miata in the same garage is like having your cake and eating it too.

Rush91 04-02-2024 04:27 PM

Madza
Is
Always
The
Answer...........

Good little cars :thumbs:

Elektro 04-02-2024 05:26 PM

to be fair. over the years my miata had collected: hail damage. cracked bumper cover. binding clutch pedal. 2nd and sometimes 4th would grind. Aftermarket swaybars that almost immediately started creaking. Carvana did not care about any of those issues when I sold it as they did not keep the car from running. We were also having relationship trouble at the time when I bought it, not a good time to buy a car.

Still... he brought it up and I was like :smash: :crazy: Some times you just need a fresh start.

v8srfun 04-02-2024 08:24 PM

A less than perfect Miata is the best Miata you can drive it and use it without worry.

T-RAY1978 04-02-2024 08:57 PM

I had a beautiful NC miata that I sold to buy my c5..
while I absolutely love my corvette, i still miss my miata.... add a dynotronics turbo and its a blast of a car...i agree having both would be awesome

DirtRoad 04-02-2024 08:58 PM

The OP said, "The seats kinda sucked and it was tiny and cramped.."
That, exactly, describes why I will never have another Miata. Two hours in the Miata and I was ready for a chiropractor. I have done several multi-thousand mile trips in the C5 and have nothing but praise for it's comfort.

schaumi 04-03-2024 07:08 AM

Are C5 owners really disparaging the seats in another car? LOL. The C5 factory seats are the worst ever fitted to a sports car in the history of mankind. Personally, I’d love to have a Miata to pair with my vette. The Z06 is a poor nice day cruiser with its fixed roof. I had a Mustang convertible rental a few weeks ago and was surprised at how big it felt. I’d love a tiny car for fun, nice weather driving.

A used Miata should hold its value quite well, so if he hates it, it shouldn’t cost too much.

Elektro 04-03-2024 09:07 AM

I had the base "sport" model and didn't like the seats when suddenly found myself commuting several hours on a fairly regular basis for work... 6 hours on the hwy ruined me for the rest of the day... the touring version supposedly has nicer seats...

nowadays if I have to drive that much I just fly but that employer was paying milage, and didn't have to deal with lyft or rentals...

I didn't like the C5 seats from a sports perspective (lateral support) but they sure are comfortable... I have mine in the house on a 2x6 base to use as regular chairs in the office lol

RDoria 04-03-2024 11:34 AM

I had a base 2019 Soul Red Miata which I had for three years before I traded it in for a C7. I think the color attracted me the most. I had more comments on the color. I enjoyed the three years I had it. It was fun to drive, under powered, but so small and uncomfortable that I never felt safe driving it and so difficult to get in and out of. Mazda is so concerned about weight that the metal was so thin on the side above the door that I think I dinged it with my elbow getting out. Even though it was mechanically free of issues, great on gas, I personally would not recommend buying one.

hyperv6 04-03-2024 11:45 AM

Why are we talking Mazda on a Corvette site?

Sure nice but small under powered car. That is why I am here to talk Corvette. Just sayin.

ztheusa 04-03-2024 03:41 PM

When The Mazda Miata 1st came out...........it was supposed to be like a Lotus Elan! If you've EVER driven an Elan (I did) they are the DEFENITION of a sports car. Too bad the Miata never came through, although it is kind of cute, especially the new hardtop model.

https://www.hotcars.com/the-car-that...he-lotus-elan/
https://static1.hotcarsimages.com/wo...943&h=&dpr=1.5

rjwvetttt 04-03-2024 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6 (Post 1607683325)
Why are we talking Mazda on a Corvette site?

Sure nice but small under powered car. That is why I am here to talk Corvette. Just sayin.

Thank you.

Vetteman Jack 04-05-2024 12:02 AM

Sorry, but moving this to Other Cars.

FAUEE 04-05-2024 08:34 AM

What does your husband's boyfriend think about it?

I kid, I kid.

If you want the Miata, then give him the Vette and you get a Miata? Or a Z4 or SLK?

Ive never understood the fascination with Miata. They're slow, poorly built, not that incredibly cheap, and while they handle well, so do a lot of other things. I get that slow car driven fast is fun, but a Miata is just now how I would do it. You could get a Mini Cooper S and have just as much fun but have a semi usable car as well, and be faster!

v8srfun 04-05-2024 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1607689205)
What does your husband's boyfriend think about it?

I kid, I kid.

If you want the Miata, then give him the Vette and you get a Miata? Or a Z4 or SLK?

Ive never understood the fascination with Miata. They're slow, poorly built, not that incredibly cheap, and while they handle well, so do a lot of other things. I get that slow car driven fast is fun, but a Miata is just now how I would do it. You could get a Mini Cooper S and have just as much fun but have a semi usable car as well, and be faster!

I was a mazda technician for about 8 years and I vehemently disagree with your statement. Miatas are incredibly reliable and build quality is in many respects superior to the c5. There is nothing gay about the Miata it is just terribly underpowered for modern standards. If the Miata had 350hp from factory no one would hate on it because they are a complete weapon when they have some more hp.

z06inVB 04-05-2024 10:20 AM

I’ve had several Miata’s. The last ND2 was an excellent car. Manual transmission is the only way to go. The Club or Grand Touring will give you LSD but nothing wrong with the Sport.

If buying new and you are an SCCA member you can get S plan pricing which is around invoice. Nav can be had by buying a chip off eBay and just plugging it it for about 80 bucks. Other options are just add ins you can get discounted at most any online Mazda parts store.

most people that comment negatively on them have never driven them. Rock solid reliable and great fun.

BadAV 04-06-2024 11:22 AM

Conversion kits are available to drop in a GM V8. But then that opens up a whole different can of worms.

MidLifeinMI 04-06-2024 11:55 AM

Your hubby might not see a big difference between your 2016 Miata and the current ones; maybe some slight refinement, but essentially still the same car. After I sold my F-Type, I missed having a sporty convertible - I looked at the newer Boxsters for a bit, but they were out of my desired price range, as were C7 verts. Looked at Miata too, but wasn't a huge fan of the styling, so ended up looking at (and buying) Miata's cousin, the Fiat Spider. Same chassis & interior as the Mazda, but different styling and powertrain, and you don't see them everywhere like the Miata. Still enjoying that one, after almost a year.

EVRGRN 04-06-2024 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by schaumi (Post 1607682479)
Are C5 owners really disparaging the seats in another car? LOL.

:lol: Totally