CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-z06-zr1-zora-discussion-187/)
-   -   GM dealership alignment cost? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-z06-zr1-zora-discussion/4820469-gm-dealership-alignment-cost.html)

AVETTE 04-04-2024 12:31 PM

GM dealership alignment cost?

Wondering what I should expect to pay at local GM dealership (it’s Hendrick Chevrolet in Cary NC) for an alignment for the Z. Just wondering if they inflate the price for the ‘vette tax’ or if the amount of time for labor is listed in a guideline? Wondering also what others have paid. Also, any good alternatives for getting an alignment done other than at the dealer? I don’t have the means to do it myself…

jswatek 04-04-2024 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by AVETTE (Post 1607686782)
Wondering what I should expect to pay at local GM dealership (it’s Hendrick Chevrolet in Cary NC) for an alignment for the Z. Just wondering if they inflate the price for the ‘vette tax’ or if the amount of time for labor is listed in a guideline? Wondering also what others have paid. Also, any good alternatives for getting an alignment done other than at the dealer? I don’t have the means to do it myself…

I don't know but the Porsche dealer charges $200 ish so it should be less since the Porsche tax is higher ! lol

spearfish25 04-04-2024 01:35 PM

I just paid $200. Initially they had $600 on the service sheet but then it was $200 when I checked out. I did initially say to do a track alignment and then modified my plan to a more street alignment...not sure if that played any role in the price.

JABCAT 04-04-2024 01:45 PM

BMW dealerships charge $250, and try to sell an alignment every time you bring it for an oil change. I had an alignment done on my '11 Z06/Z07 at Firestone, and it was $175 for a lifetime alignment. Not sure if the process is more involved on a C8 than the C6 (I imagine it is).

mtraylor2001 04-04-2024 01:59 PM

My Local Chevy dealerships cant align my c7z because they dont have a roll up bay to do it. So everyone local goes to Buick dealership which has a roll up alignment bay for low or lowered cars. its $140

Mark2021C8 04-04-2024 02:04 PM

I paid $499 for each of my '23 Z06s for track alignment. I guess I get to pay more (lucky me)! Maybe it is because I generally bring all of my own parts on my Corvettes such as rotors/pads/brake fluid/tires, etc to the dealer to get them to do the work and they can never make money on selling me parts since I will never pay full retail for anything as I go through tires and pads like water. I spend 10s of thousands of dollars a year on rotors/pads/tires and retail price may add up to tens of thousands of dollars more for me.

RapidC84B 04-04-2024 03:25 PM

If they actually check/set rear caster expect to pay $400ish. The C8Z doesn't need the UCA washers moved to get the track specs. The rear caster is very finicky and takes the proper tools. First step is for them to confirm they have the C8-specific rear caster tool. If they don't, or look at you blank, pick a different dealer.

Datawiz 04-04-2024 03:30 PM

I don't do GM, or any other dealer for that fact, for an alignment. When I got my '21 Z51, they did the GM race alignment (-3.0/-2.5 camber) and the first track day the right rear wheel dog-legged. They didn't tighten every bolt. It then took them two more times to get it correct, and even then, the alignment specs were crap. I'm in Florida, and the only person who touches my alignment is Apex Alignment in Miami, Florida. I'll be visiting them very soon once my Z06 arrives. He's only $300, alignment is dead perfect, and he does not accept tips.

RapidC84B 04-04-2024 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Datawiz (Post 1607687378)
I don't do GM, or any other dealer for that fact, for an alignment. When I got my '21 Z51, they did the GM race alignment (-3.0/-2.5 camber) and the first track day the right rear wheel dog-legged. They didn't tighten every bolt. It then took them two more times to get it correct, and even then, the alignment specs were crap. I'm in Florida, and the only person who touches my alignment is Apex Alignment in Miami, Florida. I'll be visiting them very soon once my Z06 arrives. He's only $300, alignment is dead perfect, and he does not accept tips.

Exactly... dealer personnel don't understand how a car is truly used on track. What's good enough for rolling to cars & coffee just doesn't work. Torque specs matter on suspensions components for tracked cars.

Mark2021C8 04-04-2024 04:59 PM

This is exactly what my dealer told me--finicky caster adjustment and takes time and proper tools--this is why they charged me $499.

Originally Posted by RapidC84B (Post 1607687360)
If they actually check/set rear caster expect to pay $400ish. The C8Z doesn't need the UCA washers moved to get the track specs. The rear caster is very finicky and takes the proper tools. First step is for them to confirm they have the C8-specific rear caster tool. If they don't, or look at you blank, pick a different dealer.

AVETTE 04-04-2024 05:55 PM

Wow

500 for an alignment- unreal

Mark2021C8 04-04-2024 07:57 PM

Some do understand! I have my dealer print out the actual alignment specs of my car before and after the alignment and give them to me to verify from the alignment rack/machine that they have the correct specs. Absolutely agreed on the Torque specs!

Originally Posted by RapidC84B (Post 1607687534)
Exactly... dealer personnel don't understand how a car is truly used on track. What's good enough for rolling to cars & coffee just doesn't work. Torque specs matter on suspensions components for tracked cars.

JustnRiptide 04-04-2024 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by AVETTE (Post 1607686782)

I don’t know how many miles is on your car; but if you feel there is any alignment issue within the first 7500 miles it’s covered under warranty. So if you’re not there yet, it should be free. My dealer tried charging me before I found it in their own small print. Vultures all of them :)

Aku700 04-05-2024 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by JustnRiptide (Post 1607688652)
I don’t know how many miles is on your car; but if you feel there is any alignment issue within the first 7500 miles it’s covered under warranty. So if you’re not there yet, it should be free. My dealer tried charging me before I found it in their own small print. Vultures all of them :)

Yes, but here is the rub with your detail, as I found out, I said alignment was off, they put it up on lift, gave me print out and said car is within parameters and doesn’t look off, but stated if you want a specific alignment, they will charge you. Dealers not that dumb and just do free track alignment for nothing.

JustnRiptide 04-05-2024 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Aku700 (Post 1607689338)
Yes, but here is the rub with your detail, as I found out, I said alignment was off, they put it up on lift, gave me print out and said car is within parameters and doesn’t look off, but stated if you want a specific alignment, they will charge you. Dealers not that dumb and just do free track alignment for nothing.

I missed any mention by the OP that this was a track alignment. My experience involved a service estimator attempting to charge me for a factory alignment at 7200 miles when per the GM factory warranty any factory/stock misalignments are covered until 7500. I wasn’t trying to scam the system; just refused to let the system scam me.

MuscleCarDave 04-07-2024 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by AVETTE (Post 1607687802)
500 for an alignment- unreal

I was a mechanic in the mid '80s and did alignments...we charged $39.95 for a 4-wheel alignment lol. Back then we did charge more for the rear of Corvettes because those trailing arms had to be shimmed to adjust toe and they were always badly rusted and it was difficult to get them to move....so we charged $69.95 for Corvettes (4 wheel alignment).

AVETTE 04-07-2024 05:12 PM

So…

assuming 1985 was the year $70 suggested for inflation works out to about $170 and 2024. Instead, people are talking about four or 500. Wow

Originally Posted by MuscleCarDave (Post 1607696157)
I was a mechanic in the mid '80s and did alignments...we charged $39.95 for a 4-wheel alignment lol. Back then we did charge more for the rear of Corvettes because those trailing arms had to be shimmed to adjust toe and they were always badly rusted and it was difficult to get them to move....so we charged $69.95 for Corvettes (4 wheel alignment).

RapidC84B 04-08-2024 11:04 AM

You guys are confusing an "in the green" alignment with a proper track alignment. One gets the car in general ranges for handling and tire wear. The other dials in exact specs.

AVETTE 04-08-2024 11:41 AM

Does anyone know…

Does anyone know for sure what the alignment specs are set to at the factory for a non Z07 Z06 when it leaves the factory, not track specs?? Thanks

RapidC84B 04-08-2024 11:53 AM

Correct... the factory settings are not the track camber settings.