CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-z06-zr1-zora-discussion-187/)
-   -   Taking ownership of a 2024 1LZ tomorrow. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-z06-zr1-zora-discussion/4821881-taking-ownership-of-a-2024-1lz-tomorrow.html)

Shinobi'sZ 04-09-2024 08:23 PM

Taking ownership of a 2024 1LZ tomorrow.

If I sign and give them the check that is.

Currently I'm on the ERay list sitting just under 300 with MM, I have been keeping a lookout for a C8Z just in case I saw one and the price seemed reasonable. A contact of mine clued me in on a 2024 1LZ that somebody drove for 824 miles and then returned to the dealership...dealership purchased back as the owner wanted to buy a new truck instead. I pointed out that the warranty was voided regardless so wasn't interested. Dealer came back and said they would drop the price $3k and throw in a 4-year bumper to bumper warranty, and that the car was flawless and the aftermarket warranty is as good if not better than the GM warranty as it was longer and even transferable if I sold the car.

Sale price is $126k with a 4-year bumper to bumper warranty. Even though it is a 1LZ, it has PDR, front lift, Black wheels/lugs, body color accents, red seats/belts, black exhaust tips, red calipers, door sills, heated mirrors, red engine cover/plenum. I priced out all the options from the build sheet on the GM configurator, and it came out to about $122K. Looks like they are trying to make about $3-4K off the deal. For taking delivery immediately, not waiting on a list, and for the options it seems reasonable to me. It doesn't have the Z07 option, but I wasn't looking for a Z07 either. I like that it has the PDR and the Camera Rear View mirrors are standard now on the 2024.

Thoughts?

C2Red64 04-09-2024 08:31 PM

There prob making more than $3-4k, but thats irrelevant. If you like the car, buy it.

VETTED53 04-09-2024 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ (Post 1607702848)

Sale price is $126k with a 4-year bumper to bumper warranty.

Thoughts?

I thought is was almost impossible to find an aftermarket warranty after the manufacturer's warranty has been voided. Name of the warranty company?

smithers 04-09-2024 08:33 PM

Seems like many of these aftermarket warranties don’t cover repairs if the factory warranty was voided. I would make for damn sure the warranty they are selling you is actually going to cover the cost if the car has an issue. Like call the warranty company and don’t just trust the dealer.

chevyrules727 04-09-2024 08:37 PM

If they are saying it has front lift, they are lying. Front lift is only available on 2LZ's and 3LZ's.

c7gsmike 04-09-2024 08:38 PM

1lz

I bought a 1LZ for 5k over MSRP end of Feb. MSRP was $126,865. It has CCBs, PDR, red intake, red seat belts, red calipers, black wheels and black tips. Car is black/red. Very happy with it and no issues with 1200 miles. Good luck
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...eb1463dce4.jpg

C2367 04-09-2024 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ (Post 1607702848)

Currently I'm on the ERay list sitting just under 300 with MM, I have been keeping a lookout for a C8Z just in case I saw one and the price seemed reasonable. A contact of mine clued me in on a 2024 1LZ that somebody drove for 824 miles and then returned to the dealership...dealership purchased back as the owner wanted to buy a new truck instead. I pointed out that the warranty was voided regardless so wasn't interested. Dealer came back and said they would drop the price $3k and throw in a 4-year bumper to bumper warranty, and that the car was flawless and the aftermarket warranty is as good if not better than the GM warranty as it was longer and even transferable if I sold the car.

Sale price is $126k with a 4-year bumper to bumper warranty. Even though it is a 1LZ, it has PDR, front lift, Black wheels/lugs, body color accents, red seats/belts, black exhaust tips, red calipers, door sills, heated mirrors, red engine cover/plenum. I priced out all the options from the build sheet on the GM configurator, and it came out to about $122K. Looks like they are trying to make about $3-4K off the deal. For taking delivery immediately, not waiting on a list, and for the options it seems reasonable to me. It doesn't have the Z07 option, but I wasn't looking for a Z07 either. I like that it has the PDR and the Camera Rear View mirrors are standard now on the 2024.

Thoughts?

Find a new one, I did, 2024 1LZ paid MSRP $117,075 on 12/30/2023. Plenty can be had at MSRP if the dealer want to sell a car.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6f1325b549.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b3cd25a888.jpg

23/C8Z 04-09-2024 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by C2367 (Post 1607702937)
Find a new one, I did, 2024 1LZ paid MSRP $117,075 on 12/30/2023. Plenty can be had at MSRP if the dealer want to sell a car.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6f1325b549.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b3cd25a888.jpg

was that including trading in your C8?

Shinobi'sZ 04-09-2024 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by chevyrules727 (Post 1607702885)
If they are saying it has front lift, they are lying. Front lift is only available on 2LZ's and 3LZ's.

I was wondering about that too on the build sheet, I must have read it wrong. It says VRM Front Vertical Suspension.

Originally Posted by VETTED53 (Post 1607702873)
I thought is was almost impossible to find an aftermarket warranty after the manufacturer's warranty has been voided. Name of the warranty company?

Alied...and it covers everything I already went over the policy with them.

Prinzmetal 04-10-2024 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by chevyrules727 (Post 1607702885)

This is good advice. Dealerships will give you all the lip service you want just so they can get the car off the lot. Then, when you go back to them after the 3rd party warranty company voids the warranty, they'll tell you to kick rocks. Never take them at their word.

Originally Posted by smithers (Post 1607702876)
Seems like many of these aftermarket warranties don’t cover repairs if the factory warranty was voided. I would make for damn sure the warranty they are selling you is actually going to cover the cost if the car has an issue. Like call the warranty company and don’t just trust the dealer.

I would also recommend using C8 tracker's window sticker grabber to verify exactly what options are on the car.

In any case, I feel like you could still do better on price. You're essentially paying MSRP for a used 1LZ. Lightly used, sure, but used nonetheless. You have no idea if it was properly broken in or if there are any other problems that the 1st owner or the dealership brushed under the rug, and now you don't even have the original warranty to back you up. I would strongly consider shopping around a bit more. There are Z06's sitting on lots at MSRP; granted, they don't sit for very long. And if you're willing to stretch the budget (+$5k), you could probably get one built to spec in short order. That said, if this car has all the options you want in the color(s) you want, you've done your due diligence from the warranty side, and you don't want to wait or spend a bunch of time calling dealerships across the state for a better deal, then go for it.

Shinobi'sZ 04-10-2024 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Prinzmetal (Post 1607703359)
This is good advice. Dealerships will give you all the lip service you want just so they can get the car off the lot. Then, when you go back to them after the 3rd party warranty company voids the warranty, they'll tell you to kick rocks. Never take them at their word.

I would also recommend using C8 tracker's window sticker grabber to verify exactly what options are on the car.

In any case, I feel like you could still do better on price. You're essentially paying MSRP for a used 1LZ. Lightly used, sure, but used nonetheless. You have no idea if it was properly broken in or if there are any other problems that the 1st owner or the dealership brushed under the rug, and now you don't even have the original warranty to back you up. I would strongly consider shopping around a bit more. There are Z06's sitting on lots at MSRP; granted, they don't sit for very long. And if you're willing to stretch the budget (+$5k), you could probably get one built to spec in short order. That said, if this car has all the options you want in the color(s) you want, you've done your due diligence from the warranty side, and you don't want to wait or spend a bunch of time calling dealerships across the state for a better deal, then go for it.

Great call on the window sticker grabber, I had no idea that existed. I actually asked them for it and they said they could find it. I'm going to tell them that I don't want the car unless they sell to me for no more than the MSRP price. They also told me that the vehicle warranty was more than the GM warranty, window sticker shows 5 year from GM. Here is the window sticker.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...32e1e88666.png

dgoldenz 04-10-2024 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ (Post 1607703355)
I was wondering about that too on the build sheet, I must have read it wrong. It says VRM Front Vertical Suspension.

Alied...and it covers everything I already went over the policy with them.

You should call them to ask specifically what’s covered when the manufacturer has voided the warranty. Every aftermarket contract I’ve seen specifically says repairs will not be covered if claims during the manufacturer warranty period aren’t honored by the manufacturer. Read the exclusions section of your contract VERY CAREFULLY. I can guarantee you they will not put it in writing that they will cover those repairs during the 4 years. Why would they when they’re charging the same price as a car that has the factory warranty in place?

Prinzmetal 04-10-2024 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by dgoldenz (Post 1607703387)
You should call them to ask specifically what’s covered when the manufacturer has voided the warranty. Every aftermarket contract I’ve seen specifically says repairs will not be covered if claims during the manufacturer warranty period aren’t honored by the manufacturer. Read the exclusions section of your contract VERY CAREFULLY. I can guarantee you they will not put it in writing that they will cover those repairs during the 4 years. Why would they when they’re charging the same price as a car that has the factory warranty in place?

I remember reading something very similar on the only aftermarket warranty contract I've ever purchased. I agree, unless they can guarantee in writing on the contract itself that they will cover warranty items even if the original warranty is void, then this is a no-go. Those transmission replacements are mighty expensive...

RedZ4me 04-10-2024 04:27 AM

A dealer full of lies - they are profiting $15k+ on the car and no - an aftermarket warranty is not better than GM’s

JABCAT 04-10-2024 06:45 AM

As others have already pointed out, this doesn't appear to be a good deal. Are you sure the warranty isn't through Ally? That's generally who dealerships are partnered with. If so, the Ally Major Guard Warranty clearly states the vehicle is not eligible if the manufacturer's warranty has been void.

https://www.ally.com/content/dam/pdf...ion-sample.pdf

Z0HS1CK 04-10-2024 07:21 AM

No way. I'd get new.

Shinobi'sZ 04-10-2024 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by JABCAT (Post 1607703560)
As others have already pointed out, this doesn't appear to be a good deal. Are you sure the warranty isn't through Ally? That's generally who dealerships are partnered with. If so, the Ally Major Guard Warranty clearly states the vehicle is not eligible if the manufacturer's warranty has been void.

https://www.ally.com/content/dam/pdf...ion-sample.pdf

Dealership GM called me last night at 10 and said they would drop the price and provide a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty including powertrain. You are correct it is Ally. I will have to mention the voided warranty language in the Ally contract.

Thanks

ChevyChad 04-10-2024 09:51 AM

The dealer can sell you the warranty, but you will never be able to actually use that warranty if the manufacturer warranty is voided by GM. RUN away from this "deal".

416vette 04-10-2024 09:55 AM

Question:
Given the litigious nature of the USA, if this stealership put this in writing and warranty work was required. would they be responsible to cover all costs or would this be strictly a "buyer beware" moment?

EvanZR1 04-10-2024 10:19 AM

There is no way you should do this deal unless you are good without a warranty. There have been multiple cases of dealers selling Z06s that were traded under the 6 month mark and selling an aftermarket warranty on the car only to have it denied the first time the new owner tried to use it. Do NOT fall for this BS! If it was sold/traded under the 6 month mark, the warranty is blocked and there is NO WAY TO WARRANTY IT! As to litigation, pretty sure it's be a "buyer beware" moment as it is printed right in the 2024 Owner's Manual. If you still want to consider it, figure out how much the warranty is worth to you. For me, it'd have to be at least $10-$15K under MSRP.