CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   '70-'76 deluxe interior wood trim - correct reproduction part (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/500187-70-76-deluxe-interior-wood-trim-correct-reproduction-part.html)

no_radio 02-24-2003 05:34 PM

'70-'76 deluxe interior wood trim - correct reproduction part

I posted this about a year ago, and there wasn't a lot of interest, but I'll try again.
I am trying to gauge the interest in a correct, real wood veneer (not vinyl or plastic) reproduction of the deluxe interior trim used from '70 to '76. I created the door trim panels a couple of years ago and have had them installed with great success on my '74 ever since. I have an NOS center console wood trim piece and plans for a reproduction, although I haven't yet prototyped it due to the cost and apparent lack of interest.
If you may be interested (no commitment, just expressing interest) in something like these please post here or email me at jeff@jeffsclassics.com
If it seems that enough people are interested to justify the effort I will continue.
Thanks!
Jeff

Alwyn678 02-24-2003 08:56 PM

Re: '70-'76 deluxe interior wood trim - correct reproduction part (no_radio)

I bought mine at TLD for like 20 bucks or so they are made of balsa or something..fit well went on easy

MLTexas 02-24-2003 09:17 PM

Yea! I've been looking for that darn wood center console insert for a year. I actualy posted here about 8 months ago and Ed T sent me a template... Never got one to work... I'm just not a wood working type.

LT1driver 02-24-2003 10:44 PM

Re: '70-'76 deluxe interior wood trim - correct reproduction part (MLTexas)

Many, many moons ago I used balsa and cut out my own pieces, worked well, looked outstanding and stock. Stain balsa to fit your taste and presto.

no_radio 02-26-2003 10:15 AM

Re: '70-'76 deluxe interior wood trim - correct reproduction part (Alwyn678)

I bought mine at TLD for like 20 bucks or so they are made of balsa or something..fit well went on easy
That's why I am gauging the interest...if everyone is happy with balsa and/or plastic there's not point in making correct walnut repros. It's kind of expensive to make them the "right" way, and there are probably only a few die-hard restoration guys that would want to spend the $$$$.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.
Jeff

MLTexas 02-26-2003 11:14 AM

This is strange... I just got off the phone with TLD and he opened the shift plate wood insert and he said it was a vinyl sticker over a thin metal backing. He said they get theirs from Corvette America. I returned one to Corvette America because it was a sticker.

Yes, I am still looking for an actual wood grained insert.

Matt

Alwyn678 02-26-2003 11:37 AM

Re: '70-'76 deluxe interior wood trim - correct reproduction part (MLTexas)

This is strange... I just got off the phone with TLD and he opened the shift plate wood insert and he said it was a vinyl sticker over a thin metal backing. He said they get theirs from Corvette America. I returned one to Corvette America because it was a sticker.

Yes, I am still looking for an actual wood grained insert.

Matt
I was talking about TLD's DELUXE DOOR STRIPS

MLTexas 02-26-2003 11:43 AM

Re: '70-'76 deluxe interior wood trim - correct reproduction part (Alwyn678)

"I was talking about TLD's DELUXE DOOR STRIPS "

Thanks for the clarification... Bummer, that means I will still be looking for even longer.

gq82 02-26-2003 03:46 PM

I'm interested in the console piece.....do you have an estimate on price?