CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Chambered Exhaust... Stainless or Aluminized??? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/512806-chambered-exhaust-stainless-or-aluminized.html)

MIKES69 03-13-2003 02:40 PM

Chambered Exhaust... Stainless or Aluminized???

I'm going to purchase a chambered exhaust for my 69... The price difference between the stainless ones (Eckler or Sweet Thunder) are far more expensive than the aluminized ones (MidAm)

HELP!!! Is it worth the extra $$$ for stainless???

How do you like your chambered exhaust? Which do you have??

Stewart's74 03-13-2003 03:30 PM

Re: Chambered Exhaust... Stainless or Aluminized??? (MIKES69)

I Have the MidAm Kit. I dont think you can beat it for the price. I used some steel wool to shine it up and it looks awesome.

HDIronman 03-13-2003 03:31 PM

I just purchased new 2.5" pipes for my car and I went with aluminized. I understand that the stainless retain more heat, and they also expand more, sometimes as much as 1-2 inches. Plus the price difference...!!!

Just my .02 cents.
:cool:

garagedweller2 03-13-2003 03:39 PM

SS will last almost forever though

MIKES69 03-13-2003 03:42 PM

Well, I've seen two responses...... I've heard all I need to hear. Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it comes out as soon as my new headers and chambered exhaust get put in..

Oh, by the way, I'm putting in new headers (probably Doug Thorley Chrome) and was wondering if I should be using ceramic coated (Hedman, Dynomax or Hooker) instead.
:confused:

BB wowbagger 03-13-2003 03:53 PM

Re: Chambered Exhaust... Stainless or Aluminized??? (HDIronman)

.I understand that the stainless retain more heat, and they also expand more, sometimes as much as 1-2 inches.

Just my .02 cents.
:cool:
That have to be a very long exahustpipe.. :smash: :cheers:

Stewart's74 03-13-2003 04:55 PM

Mike, I am using the Dynomax Ceramic coated headers. They are probably the best value out there.

MIKES69 03-14-2003 03:30 PM

Re: Chambered Exhaust... Stainless or Aluminized??? (Stewart's74)

Stew... Funny you should say that... Those are exactly what I bought last nigt... I thought for $229.00 it was hard to beat...

Thanks for the input

Mike

SharkAttack 03-14-2003 08:52 PM

Re: Chambered Exhaust... Stainless or Aluminized??? (garagedweller2)

SS will last almost forever though
True, but why pay the money when you will never have the car that long? At some point you will surely trade for a different Corvette.

My chambered exhaust is aluminized steel. It looks and performs great.