CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Any TH400 experts? Trans. pump whining like crazy...and more! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/541602-any-th400-experts-trans-pump-whining-like-crazy-and-more.html)

ORVette 04-18-2003 11:46 PM

Any TH400 experts? Trans. pump whining like crazy...and more!

I noticed my trans was having some trouble shifting into 3rd gear. It just sort of held 2nd, even at part throttle, then just kind of slid over into 3rd. Today, it wouldn't even slide into 3rd, just stayed in second until I let off, then felt like I pushed the clutch in, and had to rev up in second to get it to go again. Plus, it was starting out in second after coming to a stop unless I manually shifted it into low. In addition to all this, the pump is whining like crazy when I get above a couple thousand RPM. I tried adjusting the modulator up and down. I pulled the pan to check if my valve body bolts were loose, and there were a couple pretty good size metal shavings in the pan, along with a lot of metal "dust". Is it time for a new trans? :sad:

427Hotrod 04-19-2003 01:08 AM

Re: Any TH400 experts? Trans. pump whining like crazy...and more! (ORVette)

Sounds like pump is toast. How long has it been since you changed filter? I have new ones "suck up" and restrict flow enough to not move at all.

It's been awhile since I had one, but the best filters used to be the ones that you could NOT see the filter media as you looked into the pickup hole in the filtr body. You just see the metal of the other side of filter housing. The lower $$ generic ones often plug very easily especially if you have a shift kit with increased line pressure springs or shims in pump.

Also make sure the O rings are in good shape on the plastic pickup tube that the filter attaches to. The ones on the trans end often split and will suck air .

Hopefully you caught it before too much damage was done.

JIM

ORVette 04-19-2003 01:17 AM

Re: Any TH400 experts? Trans. pump whining like crazy...and more! (427Hotrod)

I changed the filter last spring when I installed the B&M trans pak. It was kind of a cheap one, $7.99 for it and the gaskat in a kit I think. Are you saying that the pump is toast AND the filter could be a problem too? Or should I switch the filter and see if that does it (the O rings too)? I did notice that after I put in the kit last year that my 1-2 shift was way firmer, but my 2-3 was actually alot less firm than before the kit. I went in and double checked that I had reassembled everything right, but it was still pretty slushy on the 2-3. I'm getting sick of dropping this pan! One good thing is that I installed a drain plug last year. Thanks for the info, any more is also appreciated.

ORVette 04-19-2003 01:34 AM

http://ourworld.cs.com/Emersont123/valve.bmp
Also, just to be sure, this part goes in with the spring up towards the trans and the disc towards the valve body? Right?

427Hotrod 04-19-2003 11:29 PM

I'd for sure try a new filter first. If the filter is plugged it will whine. The only trick is if we caught it before much damage was done. It is common to have some "stuff" inthe pan, but those large metal pieces worry me.

How is reverse? Same clutches are involved as high gear it seems like, so it could be an indicator.

A pressure gauge reading off side of trans would tell you a lot. But I'd try filter first.

THe T-400 is not a hard trans to repair. You might have anew spring project!

JIM

ORVette 04-20-2003 02:10 AM

Re: Any TH400 experts? Trans. pump whining like crazy...and more! (427Hotrod)

Thanks guys. I decided screw it and pulled it out today and took it in for a rebuild. Reverse was kind of messed up too. Had to sort of rev it up to get it to engage. This way I can start over fresh. Only took a couple hours to pull the trans and have it in the back of the truck, so I guess I'm getting good at it. I don't want anymore practice though.

arrio76 04-20-2003 10:41 AM

>Thanks guys. I decided screw it and pulled it out today and took it in for a rebuild. Reverse was kind of messed up too. Had to sort of rev it up to get it to engage. This way I can start over fresh. Only took a couple hours to pull the trans and have it in the back of the truck, so I guess I'm getting good at it. I don't want anymore practice though.<

Pulling the unit is a good decision. Since you have heavy metal in the pan, it was really the only thing to do. It is evidence of some hard part failure and it would only get worse. Hopefully, there isn't too much damage.
Good luck.