CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   What could make your gas turn green? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/571032-what-could-make-your-gas-turn-green.html)

Black'69 05-28-2003 11:19 AM

What could make your gas turn green?

Hey Guys,
This is a follow up to my green goo in my carb question. After looking into my gas tank, (with an FM approved flashlight, no matches) I can see that the gas it self has a greenish tint to it. I have been mixing 76 100-octane racing gas with 76 91-octane during fillups. The car did sit for about 2 months, but I didn't think that was enough time for it to get funky. If I look inside my intake with the carb off, it looks like there's a green gum coating the inside. I hit it with some carb cleaner and it dissolved fairly easily.

So the questions are:
1. What the heck caused my gas to turn green?
2. Should I drain the entire system or is it ok to burn?
3. If I do have to drain the tank, where can I get rid of 15 gallons of gas?

Thanks in advance for any tips,
Christ

Paul Borowski 05-28-2003 11:23 AM

Re: What could make your gas turn green? (Black'69)

I've seen Dry Gas, which emulsifies water in gas turn green. Used any of that stuff lately???

Black'69 05-28-2003 11:27 AM

I haven't put in any additives other than the 100 octane gas. Could someone have dumped something in my tank trying to mess with the car?
Christ

wcsinx 05-28-2003 12:17 PM

The only green gas I've ever seen was the ag(ricultural) gas that my dad used to put in all the farm implements. You haven't been siphoning from the tractor tank have you? It's actually illegal to put that stuff in a car.

redvetracr 05-28-2003 12:57 PM

"aliens" sorry I couldn`t resist!!
...redvetracr

Tom73 05-28-2003 12:59 PM

What the heck caused my gas to turn green?
...and St Patricks Day has already passed.... :thumbs:

77Dream 05-28-2003 01:08 PM

If I sat for two months i'd turn green too :D Maybe the racing gas doesn't have the "shelf life" of regular gas. Thats all I can think of.

pws69 05-28-2003 02:03 PM

1. What the heck caused my gas to turn green?
Hulk p!ssin' in your gas tank???

e3pres 05-28-2003 02:42 PM

You might try giving them a call:
https://www.76.com/cgi-bin/b2cpt01/scripts/contact.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0318320623. 1054145460@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchadcihdkgh mmcfimcemndhhgdgjg.0&Site=76&Nav=contact &Cat=contact&contentType=contact

bb69 05-28-2003 05:58 PM

Re: What could make your gas turn green? (e3pres)

Gas will turn green is a short time under the right conditions. My guess is that not only is it green, it probably smells pretty bad. I just had to completely clean our a lawnmower carb to get rid of the green sludge. My garage stills smells several days later. I would drain the gas into some gas cans, and use it in a lawnmower or other small engine if you have them. Just make sure whatever it is, you're going to use it quickly. Putting in fresh gas should help get rid of the green mess. If the car won't start, you need to clean the carb. The green stuff loves to clog jets. Good luck.

Black'69 05-28-2003 06:00 PM

Re: What could make your gas turn green? (e3pres)

Called 76 like e3pres suggested, think I have the answer.

The green issues is most likey caused by the mixing of the 100-octane and 91-octane. 91 has a yellowish straw color as where the 100 has a blue dye added to it. Apparently it's being sold under the name cool blue at speed shops. Oh course, as I learned in pre-school, yellow and blue make green.

The gumming issue is most likey caused by the EPA mandate to remove MBTE from gas. The replacement, ethonal, is alcohol based and acts as a good cleaning agent, thus puling all the crap out of the tank and pushing it through the line to the carb. They mentioned that this might be a problem for older cars when making the switch to the ethonal based gas.

The 100 octane is the only one still with MBTE, so when I mixed with the 91 the ethonal started doing it's business.

As of Jan 1st next year all gas should be ethonal based, so keep an eye out for gum and deposits at least for the first few tanks.

At least I know it wasn't the Hulk taking a leak in the tank.
Thanks for the help guys,
Christ

77Dream 05-28-2003 06:09 PM

Hmmm.. Thats good to know, thanks. :thumbs: