CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Popping noise on take off... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/580686-popping-noise-on-take-off.html)

blown92clt1 06-10-2003 07:10 PM

Popping noise on take off...

Hello, I have a 92 lt1 w/ manual transmission with about 56,000 miles on it.

Upon take off when the clutch is first let off or when Im in reverse and start backing up Im hearing a popping noise once or twice during the first few feet of the car moving. I can sit there in the garage and put it in first and reverse back and forth and move maybe 2 or 3 feet each way over and over and the popping noise is consistant.

Seems to be coming from the back of the car on the drivers side. Any ideas? :confused:

ty for any help

[Modified by blown92clt1, 7:12 PM 6/10/2003]

TALMADGE 06-10-2003 07:22 PM

Re: Popping noise on take off... (blown92clt1)

Two things come in mind, halfshaft ujoint or rear wheel bearing. I had the popping and wheel noise. Changed my halfshaft ujoints last weekend. The major noise is gone but I still have a slight pop when taking off. I'll change the rear wheel bearings next. I started with the cheaper of the two first. :crazy:

[Modified by TALMADGE, 7:23 PM 6/10/2003]

GS057 06-10-2003 07:22 PM

MY 96 is doing the same thing. Something in the rear end is popping (clicking) a few times when you take off in 1st or reverse. Hope someone can answer this question. I suspect it is u-joints.

AGENT 86 06-10-2003 08:08 PM

Mine does the same. I did the u-joints 2 months ago,still have noise. Yesterday i jacked up the rear and rocked the wheel at 12 and 6 oclock. Knocking noise was heard due to excess play in bearing. Ordered new bearing today and will install thursday. Good Luck with yours !!! :cheers:

Steel Blue 91 06-10-2003 09:30 PM

Re: Popping noise on take off... (TALMADGE)

Two things come in mind, halfshaft ujoint or rear wheel bearing. I had the popping and wheel noise. Changed my halfshaft ujoints last weekend. The major noise is gone but I still have a slight pop when taking off. I'll change the rear wheel bearings next. I started with the cheaper of the two first. :crazy:
:iagree: It should be one of the two. If your hubs are the problem, the u joints won't be far behind.

Stingray1970 06-10-2003 10:11 PM

Mine was doing the same, I removed the rear wheel bearings , cleaned the rust off of the axle, cleaned the ID of the bearing, coated the axle with anti seize re-assembled the hubs and that was the end of the noise.

LD85 06-10-2003 10:17 PM

Re: Popping noise on take off... (Stingray1970)

Mine was doing the popping too and upon inspection, one of my half-shaft joints had turned to powder!