CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   HELP ! My power seat won't go back ! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/589859-help-my-power-seat-wont-go-back.html)

Slingshot 06-23-2003 03:39 PM

HELP ! My power seat won't go back !

I was cleaning the inside this weekend and accidentally hit the seat forward lever.

Now, the thing will go up and down and forward but not BACK!!

Now I can barely get in the car! :lol

To top it all, I'm 6'4" and need al the leg room I can get.

What do I need to do and how much $ are we talking to fix it?

Can I just fix it to stay back all the way and not move? That would be okay.

I appreciate any help.

:flag :

[Modified by Slingshot, 3:40 PM 6/23/2003]

65Z01 06-23-2003 05:53 PM

Re: HELP ! My power seat won't go back ! (Slingshot)

Assuming there is no debris jammed in the track, you have several options:
1) have someone smaller get in, hit the seat back lever and push back to see if it will go back
2) swap the seat tracks between driver & passenger
3) order a new seat track, Contemporary Corvette (link on my site) has them for under $200 exchange.

jackdaroofer 06-23-2003 06:12 PM

Re: HELP ! My power seat won't go back ! (65Z01)

:cheers:

Just curious, i have the same problem in my 88 on the passenger side!

Fortunately wife has adjusted to it :D :reddevil

Again, not doubting what you say, but why the seat track? I was kind of (maybe ill informed as usual) thinking of the switch

Thanks

:seeya

:steering:

John Row 06-23-2003 07:03 PM

Re: HELP ! My power seat won't go back ! (jackdaroofer)

There are 3 motors in the seat frame. They are not known for longevity.

The other thing that goes out is the connection between the frame gears and the motor, there is a flexible drive that goes from the motor to the gears. It has a square plastic/nylon connector to the gear that gets rounded, i.e. motor runs nothing moves.

I saw an ad somewhere that said they would rebuild the seat frames for something like $60-$80. I've got a spare frame with a bad motor that I'm keeping till I see the ad again.

SPEED750 06-23-2003 07:47 PM

Re: HELP ! My power seat won't go back ! (John Row)

Can hear the motor running but the seat doesn't move?There is a clip in the very front of your seat, push it down and the cushion will come out.Then you have a killer view of the under workings.You can watch the three tubes to see witch one moves the seat front to back.If the cable is spinning win you move the switch, but the seat isn't, move the cable while it's turning,at the point where it connects to the seat gearbox.Sometimes they are starting to strip out and you can get an adjustment out of it with this procedure one or two more times before its totally gone. It worked for me!! :chevy

jackdaroofer 06-23-2003 07:51 PM

Re: HELP ! My power seat won't go back ! (SPEED750)

:cheers: Mine works fine, forward and up and down

When I try to get back, motor doesn't run...no sound

That's why I was thinking switch

Enlighten me please

Jack

:seeya

:steering:

Redmanf1 06-23-2003 08:07 PM

Re: HELP ! My power seat won't go back ! (jackdaroofer)

Sometimes you can get in the seat and use you’re butt to rock the seat back and forth while holding the switch in the opposite direction it is stuck and it will move. Sometimes the seat jams when it moves to the extent of the track. Hope this helps.
:D

Redmanf1 06-23-2003 08:11 PM

Re: HELP ! My power seat won't go back ! (Redmanf1)

Sorry I did not see it went forward . sometimes you can wiggle the switch and it will work.
:crazy:

Slingshot 06-24-2003 08:13 AM

Thanks all !

Still working on it but I'll get there. Thanks again.

Patrick96LT4 06-24-2003 10:25 AM

Re: HELP ! My power seat won't go back ! (SPEED750)

Can hear the motor running but the seat doesn't move?There is a clip in the very front of your seat, push it down and the cushion will come out.Then you have a killer view of the under workings.You can watch the three tubes to see witch one moves the seat front to back.If the cable is spinning win you move the switch, but the seat isn't, move the cable while it's turning,at the point where it connects to the seat gearbox.Sometimes they are starting to strip out and you can get an adjustment out of it with this procedure one or two more times before its totally gone. It worked for me!! :chevy
Great tip! Thanks for sharing! :thumbs:

brookman 06-24-2003 06:49 PM

Re: HELP ! My power seat won't go back ! (Slingshot)

Are you good with electrical things? A quick fix is to pull the bottom cushion and undo the connector to the motors and apply 12 v to the front/back motor.

The long fix is to take appart the center console and dissassemble and clean the switch contacts. My cars previous owner had spilled something in the switches and the contacts had a film on them. I used an emery board and cleaned them up. They work great.

ernurstn1 07-07-2011 12:58 PM

how to check to see if drivers side seat motor is not functioning.

i removed the drivers side seat and it used to work before removed, but now putting it back in and the seat will not go back. help

RetiredSFC 97 07-07-2011 02:06 PM

These guys from 03 probaly won't be much help. But check your connections and all wiring as a first step.

AS10TRK 10-08-2014 12:42 PM

I know this thread is several years old, but it was still helpful to me today. I got my 2000 C5 back from a local detailing shop and the power seat would not adjust at all. It turned out to be the seat switch contacts. They had apparently gotten some of the detailing spray inside the switch on the contacts so it would no longer make electrical connections. I was able to spray some "Electrical contact cleaner spray" in and around the switch and worked it around and low and behold the switch started working again. Hope this will help others.

Pettit 05-06-2017 04:00 PM

p/seat problems 2004 cadillac cts seat will not reverse reward. seat up/down ok seat back
forward/ reverse ok seat forward(hung up forward for someone 5'2")

vanimal 05-06-2017 04:46 PM

Dang 6'4 in a c4. My Dad was 6'5 i couldn't ever imagine him getting in my C4 lol. I am 6 foot with longer legs and i need the seat all the way back. Your knees must be half way up the steering wheel lol. :cheers:

Pettit 05-08-2017 02:59 PM

I can almost rest my chin on my knees.