CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Temperature sending units and beautiful women (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/592611-temperature-sending-units-and-beautiful-women.html)

hauk 06-27-2003 10:56 AM

Temperature sending units and beautiful women

Actually this has nothing to do with beautiful women but it got your attention. Will a temperature sending unit or switch work in oil as well as water,I want to devise an automatic way to monitor my tranny temperature and also have an automatic way for my tranny cooling fan to operate,My tranny pan has no place for a unit to go and I really don't want to take it off to have one welded in,There does not seen to be anything available for in line oil cooling so I am thinking about using water temp units to do the job, Opinions please. Thanks guys :confused: :confused:

[Modified by hauk, 10:58 AM 6/27/2003]

Ki m Le 06-27-2003 11:59 AM

Re: Temperature sending units and beautiful women (hauk)

81 has oil temp sender and gauge option. You might want to look for this in the archive section! Someone had done it.

Wrencher 06-27-2003 12:12 PM

Very common in race cars. I'd look at Stewart-Warner or VDO gauges.

Hans

Paul L 06-27-2003 01:28 PM

This is the GM (AC Delco) oil temp sensor first used in 1981. Note the temperature range on the gage. I can't see that a water temp sensor would be calibrated correctly to cover that range. Just guessing here but it might be possible to install a brass T fitting into a transmission line and install this sensor to monitor fluid temps. But this sensor is not switched - it is continuous read - so that only would take you halfway.

BTW I have not heard of a transmission cooling fan. Is that job not done at the rad by the normal cooling fan?

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/pau...ltemp2_002.jpg

hauk 06-27-2003 01:39 PM

Re: Temperature sending units and beautiful women (paul79)

I do not have provisions in my new aluminum Radiator for the tranny cooling lines so I installed a tranny cooling unit and I have a 10" fan on it. I did order from Summit a transmission oil temp gauge and sending unit but I still have to find a way to auto swith the fan on and off.

[Modified by hauk, 1:42 PM 6/27/2003]

LT-1 Larry 06-27-2003 05:16 PM

I once knew a beautiful woman who worked very well in both oil and water. :D

Schmucker 06-27-2003 05:21 PM

I would think you would want that fan on all the time.

gkull 06-27-2003 05:22 PM

Re: Temperature sending units and beautiful women (Wrencher)

My sender is JBWelded to the 700 case on the horizontal flat area about 1/2 way down the tranny above the oil pan. The wireing comes nearly straight up into the console.

[Modified by gkull, 4:31 PM 6/27/2003]

gkull 06-27-2003 05:33 PM

Re: Temperature sending units and beautiful women (gkull)

At some point I would like a rotary switch and just use one gauge to monitor everything.

Like water temp, motor oil temp, tranny, rearend.

Paul L 06-27-2003 09:45 PM

OK, thanks. Sorry, I cannot help you further.

Desertdawg 06-28-2003 04:25 AM

Re: Temperature sending units and beautiful women (LT-1 Larry)

I once knew a beautiful woman who worked very well in both oil and water. :D

See, I'm not the only one that goes off topic...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good comeback Larry... :cheers: but there is a rule broken here...No Pics = :bs

StarLord 06-28-2003 11:51 PM

Actually this has nothing to do with beautiful women but it got your attention.
As soon as I saw the title on this thread, I knew you were going to say something like that. I can't imagine any likely situation where the phrases "Temperature Sending Units" and "Beautiful Women" have something in common.

Greg 06-29-2003 12:27 AM

Re: Temperature sending units and beautiful women (StarLord)

I thought you were going to say " I don't understand either one of them."
:lol:

Desertdawg 06-29-2003 01:09 AM

Re: Temperature sending units and beautiful women (StarLord)

I can't imagine any likely situation where the phrases "Temperature Sending Units" and "Beautiful Women" have something in common.

When the beautiful women walked in the room, My temperature sending unit went through the roof... :thumbs:

Greg 06-29-2003 01:17 AM

Re: Temperature sending units and beautiful women (Desertdawg)

Hey for a little guy you sure have a big temperature sending unit!

LAvetteman 06-29-2003 01:22 AM

Re: Temperature sending units and beautiful women (Desertdawg)

Beautiful women and temperature senders, you can stick um in the undercarriage but they perform better on top. :D :eek:

[Modified by LAvetteman, 12:22 AM 6/29/2003]

BB wowbagger 06-29-2003 09:07 AM

Re: Temperature sending units and beautiful women (LAvetteman)

I`m going to use a watertemp sending unit to monitor oiltemp.I`ll weld a bung in the pan and a 2 way switch to change between them..If you get a turnknob type switch you can easily check water,oil,tranny and diff with the water temp gage :cheers: :cheers:

Paul L 06-29-2003 05:01 PM

Re: Temperature sending units and beautiful women (BB wowbagger)

Just a word of caution. As I noted above, a water temp gage is not calibrated to handle oil temps.