CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Driving/fog light replacement (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/593762-driving-fog-light-replacement.html)

pewter99 06-29-2003 09:35 AM

Driving/fog light replacement

Finally had one go out...how hard is it to replace these

Als98C5 06-29-2003 09:46 AM

Re: Driving/fog light replacement (pewter99)

It really is easy if you remove the three small screws the hold the headlight cover in place. That really opens up the area big enough to get your hand/arm in there.

Just pop the headlights up, remove the three screws, take the black plastic cover off, open the hood, and reach down inside.

pewter99 06-29-2003 09:50 AM

Re: Driving/fog light replacement (Als98C5)

It really is easy if you remove the three small screws the hold the headlight cover in place. That really opens up the area big enough to get your hand/arm in there.

Just pop the headlights up, remove the three screws, take the black plastic cover off, open the hood, and reach down inside.

:cool: thanks

SilverC5inOhio 06-29-2003 10:46 AM

Re: Driving/fog light replacement (pewter99)

Swap out the existing 893 (35w) bulbs while your at it with the NAPA 885 (50w) bulbs.. only $10 a peice... :cheers:

MY2KC5 06-29-2003 09:38 PM

Re: Driving/fog light replacement (SilverC5inOhio)

Replace the fogs with PIAA 1100's when those go out or if you just want a great light!!! You will not regret it. Brighter than your headlights and looks great behind Z06 Screens!!!

Racer1x 06-30-2003 01:25 AM

Re: Driving/fog light replacement (SilverC5inOhio)

Swap out the existing 893 (35w) bulbs while your at it with the NAPA 885 (50w) bulbs.. only $10 a peice... :cheers:
:iagree:

wicked 98z 06-30-2003 01:27 AM

Re: Driving/fog light replacement (MY2KC5)

PIAA's kick butt! I love them. Ive seen the prices go down on them so im sure you can get a good deal on them now

EHS 06-30-2003 04:22 PM

Re: Driving/fog light replacement (wicked 98z)

Get the 885s for $8.00 each.

The PIAAs are not any brighter (same wattage), and a waste of time (yours) to install and money (yours) to buy. You also lose the adjustability of the stock fog lights.

And that is the main difference -- the PIAAs are driving lights; the stock lights are for fog -- which means better beam spread. However, if you use that stock adjustment screw, and crank the beam just high enough to be at the top of the normal headlight pattern (use a white wall) -- you will have virtually the same performance, for $16.00 and zero installation hassle.

:smash:

Johnny Vig 07-07-2003 12:47 AM

Re: Driving/fog light replacement (EHS)

How easy is it to adjust the fog lights and please be specific, your idea sounds great, I am just wondering how so many people who have bought the piaa's could be wrong. Please let me know. Thanx.

EHS 07-07-2003 09:13 AM

Re: Driving/fog light replacement (Johnny Vig)

Look at the foglight directly from the front, you will see the adjustment hole off to the side -- it is a Torx screw (I believe a size 15).

Pull the car up to a white garage door, about 25-30 feet away, and turn the screw until the foglight cutoff pattern is just at the center of the low beam pattern, or slightly below. That's it.

The PIAAs are not adjustable, they are on a fixed bracket, which can be bent up and down, although one forum member had fabricated his own adjustable screw bracket in his workshop.

[Modified by EHS, 9:16 AM 7/7/2003]