CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   CORVETTE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS??????? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/603071-corvette-going-out-of-business.html)

vettespd20 07-12-2003 02:29 AM

CORVETTE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS???????

OK I love corvettes, but do u guys think that they will go out of business like the camaro any time soon (if ever)? I love vettes and some times i argue with my friends about them, I always make the comment "how many cars have been going strong since 1953, and NEVER stopped making them" Because they did make a 83 so technicaly they never stopped making them. I cant think of any cars that have been around non stop since 53. Ok now I am going to go the other direction for a second, I seen some post about camaros, I also love camaro's but not as much as vettes, but are they going to come out with them soon and if so when? And when will they actually show what the new vette will look like I am tired of waiting? thanks

Curtis A. Franz 07-12-2003 06:36 AM

Re: CORVETTE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS??????? (vettespd20)

Relax, take a Valium, put your feet up or find something else to do. Come early January 3/4th of the car mags will have an article on it and the newsprint and web will have it all over. Not to fear!
:chevy

StevieB 07-12-2003 09:37 AM

Re: CORVETTE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS??????? (Curtis A. Franz)

QUOTE:Relax, take a Valium, put your feet up or find something else to do
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would any type of sedative do? Would having a beer in combination with that sedative help even more? :lol:

[Modified by SBSB, 8:38 AM 7/12/2003]

Curtis A. Franz 07-12-2003 10:30 AM

Re: CORVETTE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS??????? (SBSB)

QUOTE:Relax, take a Valium, put your feet up or find something else to do
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would any type of sedative do? Would having a beer in combination with that sedative help even more? :lol:

No I think he needs some chemical help. So does this subject...like a lock perhaps.

[Modified by SBSB, 8:38 AM 7/12/2003]

Jinx 07-12-2003 01:14 PM

Corvette will be the last sports car standing.

ChrisTinaBruce 07-12-2003 04:03 PM

I dont think even GM would be so dumb, so relax. Although a minor point but the VW bug has been in production as the same modle for around 60 years, the last plant in Mexico just stopped production.

I always make the comment "how many cars have been going strong since 1953, and NEVER stopped making them" Because they did make a 83 so technicaly they never stopped making them. I cant think of any cars that have been around non stop since 53.

Corvette Junkie 07-12-2003 05:24 PM

As long as they sell Chevrolet will buid them. So if you want to help to make sure Corvette stay around go out and buy a new one. :thumbs:

Weasel 07-12-2003 10:59 PM

This has to be a question from our moderator. To test our loyalty. To see our willingness to wait.
We will wait, oh suitably attired leader. For the day that we see our betrothed automobile.
Oh small Chevrolet.

Zilla 07-13-2003 12:12 AM

Re: CORVETTE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS??????? (Weasel)

According to the book "All Corvette are Red" the Corvette was was on the chopping block back in the early 90's. Check out this thread http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=593113.

As for the Camaro from what I heard they discontinued the F-body due to the unions demands. I think the F-body will come back in afew years. I think that GM had to stop production for 3 years to get around the Union.

Loggins 07-13-2003 01:02 AM

First they stoped making Camaros and firebirds because they were dull and sales were slipping every year. The Corvette is an American Icon that will never die, Unless die hard Vette fans like our selfs start buying Mustangs or Vipers and We know that will NEVER happen. :lol:

BuckyThreadkiller 07-13-2003 10:08 AM

Re: CORVETTE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS??????? (Loggins)

Guys the reason there will always be a Corvette isn't that it's a great car or the heritage or any other emotional tie. This is GM and the reason GM does ANYTHING is profitability. The Vette makes money for GM and its shareholders so it has a future.

It doesn't hurt that it's a nice showcase/testbed for stuff like magnetic ride, carbon fiber body panels, aluminum blocks, fuel injection, traction control and everything else they want to try out.
The Vette will be with us as long as they can still sell 30k+ copies a year.

kazz 07-14-2003 12:05 AM

Re: CORVETTE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS??????? (BuckyThreadkiller)

Guys the reason there will always be a Corvette isn't that it's a great car or the heritage or any other emotional tie. This is GM and the reason GM does ANYTHING is profitability. The Vette makes money for GM and its shareholders so it has a future.

It doesn't hurt that it's a nice showcase/testbed for stuff like magnetic ride, carbon fiber body panels, aluminum blocks, fuel injection, traction control and everything else they want to try out.
The Vette will be with us as long as they can still sell 30k+ copies a year.
Aggreed, BUT, only so long as they put the proper resources to work on design for new Corvettes and keep the cycle time down. Let's face it, GM has done some pretty lacadaisical work on the Corvette in the past. The C5's are fantastic, but if Gm had tried to have a 14-year run with them, sales wouldn't hold.

Jinx 07-14-2003 12:11 AM

Re: CORVETTE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS??????? (kazz)

Corvette will continue to sell as long as it continues to run with the big dogs, regardless of how old its chassis gets.

We forget that C3 lived through a fuel and emissions crisis, and C4 lived through a terrible downturn in the sports car market. Each remained reasonably competitive.

C5 could go on for years with nothing more significant than a headlight replacement, an upgraded interior, and a hundred more horses. Which in a sense is what we're getting with C6.

I only hope that I don't live to see the day that sports cars get so ridiculous in their performance that Corvette must make do with second-tier status to remain affordable.

.Jinx

logansowner 07-14-2003 11:14 AM

Re: CORVETTE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS??????? (Jinx)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I don't think you hav to worry about that for a little while anyway :lol:

Jinx 07-14-2003 12:18 PM

Re: CORVETTE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS??????? (logansowner)

I hope to be around for a little while.

GDP 07-14-2003 07:07 PM

Corvette will continue to sell as long as it continues to run with the big dogs, regardless of how old its chassis gets.
Corvette won't ever run with teh big dogs; it IS one of teh big dogs.

C5 could go on for years with nothing more significant than a headlight replacement, an upgraded interior, and a hundred more horses. Which in a sense is what we're getting with C6.
I don't think that would go over too well with teh public, actually. It may sound like it, but C4 sales were in teh crap hole at teh end of their production (which was long) and they had a pretty big upgrade in '91 with a new body, interior, and wheels. Then they got a new engine with almost 100 more horses in '92. Still, sales declined. Teh market just wanted a new 'vette.

I only hope that I don't live to see the day that sports cars get so ridiculous in their performance that Corvette must make do with second-tier status to remain affordable.
That will never happen, because teh other cars will get so ridiculous with their performance that they will price themselves out of teh market at teh same time.

Jinx 07-14-2003 11:59 PM

Re: CORVETTE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS??????? (GDP)

Corvette won't ever run with teh big dogs; it IS one of teh big dogs.
The big dogs cost over eighty grand, most over a buck twenty. Corvette don't get the respect the big dogs do -- though it should.

C4 sales were in teh crap hole at teh end of their production (which was long) and they had a pretty big upgrade in '91 with a new body, interior, and wheels. Then they got a new engine with almost 100 more horses in '92. Still, sales declined. Teh market just wanted a new 'vette.
The market was nearly dead. Everybody else left when sales evaporated, remember?

The other cars will get so ridiculous with their performance that they will price themselves out of teh market at teh same time.
The big dogs are insensitive to price. Corvette doesn't have that luxury.

.Jinx

Justin1984 07-15-2003 07:34 PM

We forget that C3 lived through a fuel and emissions crisis, and C4 lived through a terrible downturn in the sports car market. Each remained reasonably competitive.
of course that was also the era before the 300ZXTT, Supra, RX7, NSX etc...

Jim P. 07-15-2003 10:21 PM

YEA! :flag :cheers: :thumbs: :iagree: :steering: :chevy :party:

Jim P. 07-15-2003 10:23 PM

Re: CORVETTE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS??????? (Jim P.)

Vettes will always RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:iagree: :thumbs: :steering: :chevy :party: :flag :cool: