CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   will PS control Valve need adjustment (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/621390-will-ps-control-valve-need-adjustment.html)

adamdinat 08-05-2003 01:15 PM

will PS control Valve need adjustment

Time has come to fix this PS leak. I do not want to bring a drip pan to danger daves party! I have received my rebuilt PS control valve form CC. The box has a sticker and the valve a tag stating that it has been factory balanced and lubricated. Will this go in without adjustment or is this :bs

Other questions: I have also read where it is recommended to use a pickle fork for this job. Where is that used?

How does this come off the pitman arm? The arm looks pretty ridgidly nounted. Does it rotate out of the way??

Stewart's74 08-05-2003 01:45 PM

Re: will PS control Valve need adjustment (adamdinat)

I did not have to balance mine, but be careful. After installation, do not put your arms thru the steering wheel to start the car. If it is out of balance, the wheel may spin violently.
Yes, you will need a pickle fork to separate the PSValve from the pitman arm. Loosen the bolt on the PS Valve about half way. Wedge pickle fork between pitman arm and PS Valve. Give it a whack. It will pop out of the pitman arm. Loosen nut teh rest of the way. PS Valve drops down. Remove.
Its pretty easy. You should have no problems.
One more thing, I'd use a set of line wrenches to remove and install the PS Hoses. You dont want to round them off.

Milest 08-05-2003 02:34 PM

Re: will PS control Valve need adjustment (Stewart's74)

When I replaced mine last year, I removed the drivers side front wheel. It made it a lot easier to get to.

Riley 08-05-2003 04:10 PM

Re: will PS control Valve need adjustment (Milest)

Yes easy job but have to stay that yes having your arm in the steering wheel after installing can be hard on the wrist. Take your time and hold on the the wheel while starting, if setting is off to much it can realy crank the wheel and dam it wakes you up if your hand is caught ....trust me. insure your front wheels are off the ground as it makes for a better adjustment

VettePower 08-05-2003 05:01 PM

Re: will PS control Valve need adjustment (Riley)

If the steering wheel does turn violently when started, does this mean that th cyalnder does need adjusting, and if so, how do you adjust it?? :confused:

Stewart's74 08-05-2003 05:15 PM

Re: will PS control Valve need adjustment (VettePower)

There is a dust cap on the end of the valve. Pry it off and you will find a nut. Turning the nut adjusts the valve.
Go here for detailed info from Jim Shea http://www.corvettefaq.com

SmokedTires 08-05-2003 06:58 PM

Re: will PS control Valve need adjustment (Stewart's74)

Supporting vendor Zip Products hgas a great illustration and info on balancing the contol valve on their site, may need to do a bit of searching there to find it ;) . If the steering wheel moves in either direction when started, then yes it needs to be balanced :yesnod: .

adamdinat 08-05-2003 09:07 PM

It took 2 hours but it is out. I ended up using the pipe wrench to get it off :cuss There is nothing like laying on your back inching it off. I have 2 damaged threads and will be buying a thread file tomorrow to clean that up. Whats with that sheild?I ended up taking that off and disassembling the whole thing. I can hear it now, Core charge You want your core charge back? :lol: :lol: It not too marked up. Just needs reassembly. The new one goes on nice until the galled thread. Tomorrow for reassembly

Thanks for the help.

NHvette 08-05-2003 10:05 PM

Whew !! I thought your PS crapped out - and the vette was gonna be bed-ridden.
Gotta get me some of those thread files.

Let's keep our collective fingers crossed for the party.
If it rains much more, we may be loading the vettes into an ark - 2 by 2. :lol: :cry

mark79,80 08-05-2003 10:22 PM

Re: will PS control Valve need adjustment (NHvette)

Should have looked at how far the old valve is threaded on the relay rod.
If the new one is not put back in the same position the steering wheel will
not be centered. This happened to me and I tried centering the wheel
by turning the tie rod ends. Seemed easy but made things worse so wound
up having a front end alignment to get the steering wheel centered.

adamdinat 08-06-2003 08:05 AM

Re: will PS control Valve need adjustment (mark79,80)

I measured the gap at the end of the controller so it should go on the same. I will need an alignment next spring anyway so i am not to hung up on that.

Danger Dave
Thread files are great for cleaning up the gauled theads on a part like this. They fit the pitch of the thread perfectlyand are easy to use. They can save big on agravation and $.