CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Power Roof?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/697897-power-roof.html)

Yellow Fellow 11-24-2003 05:25 PM

Power Roof??

I'm starting to think about Mervz post that said there was a power roof coming in the C6. With all the weight savings GM was trying to accomplish with the C6, and still they went with a power roof option, makes me think there will be a hard top convertible?

What do you think the chances are?? :crazy:

zphantom 11-24-2003 05:29 PM

Re: Power Roof?? (Yellow Fellow)

None.

HummelS 11-24-2003 05:34 PM

Re: Power Roof?? (zphantom)

None.
:iagree: It's an optional power cloth convertible top.

zphantom 11-24-2003 05:51 PM

Re: Power Roof?? (thevettenet CA)

I took the post to be asking the chances of the Corvette convertible having a power hardtop a la a XLR.

C6-XTSY 11-24-2003 06:09 PM

I'm interested to see which one all the gung-ho "weightwatchers" people will buy now that a power top is available. My guess would be that the power option outsells the manual 4 to 1, unless it's ridiculously expensive.

vette-freak 11-24-2003 06:17 PM

Re: Power Roof?? (C6-XTSY)

I'm interested to see which one all the gung-ho "weightwatchers" people will buy now that a power top is available. My guess would be that the power option outsells the manual 4 to 1, unless it's ridiculously expensive.
You can't forget the lazy people like me. The conveince of a power top while you are in a traffic jamb,in the middle lane & it starts to rain in buckets may be a good thing.

GDP 11-24-2003 06:21 PM

Re: Power Roof?? (vette-freak)

The conveince of a power top while you are in a traffic jamb,in the middle lane & it starts to rain in buckets may be a good thing.
Or you could just watch the Weather Channel for a forecast. :jester :p:

Honestly, I don't think that the power top adds too much weight. The top is cloth, so there's no need for a bulky, strong motor to pull the top back and put it up. Not to mention the motor for the top is made of Magnesium, mostly.

What's it going to add? 2-3 lbs, probably.

vette-freak 11-24-2003 06:29 PM

Re: Power Roof?? (GDP)

SARCASM>The conveince of a power top while you are in a traffic jamb,in the middle lane & it starts to rain in buckets may be a good thing. <SARCASM

Or you could just watch the Weather Channel for a forecast. :jester :p:

Honestly, I don't think that the power top adds too much weight. The top is cloth, so there's no need for a bulky, strong motor to pull the top back and put it up. Not to mention the motor for the top is made of Magnesium, mostly.

All my vettes have been verts & it taks maybe a minute to put it up. I bet just for the reason above, a ton of power top options costing $200-$300 or more will be sold.

C6-XTSY 11-24-2003 06:40 PM

Re: Power Roof?? (GDP)

Do you know for a fact the motor housing is going to be mag? Mag is a lot more expensive than steel or aluminum and I don't think GM would go that route. But I could be wrong.

Even so, with the tonneau cover being automatic and everything associated with it I don't see how it would be even close to 2-3 lbs.

jschindler 11-24-2003 08:20 PM

Do you know for a fact the motor housing is going to be mag? Mag is a lot more expensive than steel or aluminum and I don't think GM would go that route. But I could be wrong.

Even so, with the tonneau cover being automatic and everything associated with it I don't see how it would be even close to 2-3 lbs.
:withstupid:

I'm a little surprised myself that they will offer a power top. I suppose I should not complain if it is only an option, but isn't this the purpose of the CLR (or whatever initials that thing has)?

I guess Corvette is just trying to cater to the typical "gold chain" owner who doesn't car if he loses a tenth in the quarter or not. But I will NOT be ordering a power top. The current top is way to easy to operate to make me want the expense and weight of a power top.

Sanctuary 11-24-2003 08:44 PM

I remember (early on) a third party company was working on a C6 hardtop for the roadster. Details were posted here. Doubt that it would be powered though.

[Modified by Sanctuary, 1:45 AM 11/25/2003]

Kevin93 11-24-2003 08:45 PM

I don't think the convertible people are overly obsessed with weight.

jschindler 11-24-2003 08:57 PM

Re: Power Roof?? (Kevin93)

Interesting comment. Not true, but interesting. Are you aware that the C5 convertible is lighter than the coupe?

Scissors 11-24-2003 09:30 PM

Re: Power Roof?? (jschindler)

Interesting comment. Not true, but interesting. Are you aware that the C5 convertible is lighter than the coupe?
No it's not, the Convertible is 2 lbs. heavier.

Z06 Mike 11-24-2003 10:18 PM

Re: Power Roof?? (Scissors)

Nothing an extra 400 HP can't compensate for! :D :D :D

jschindler 11-24-2003 11:07 PM

Re: Power Roof?? (Scissors)

No it's not, the Convertible is 2 lbs. heavier.
There have been conflicting specs. A couple of years ago, the Chevy web site officially showed the Vert as lighter. So close, it depends on the equipment and driver. Just trying to make a point, though. :cheers:

HoldHard 11-25-2003 09:21 AM

A power hard top would be cool. Just throw the part number in from Cadillac as an option.

HoldHard

Hurricane 11-25-2003 10:08 AM

:iagree: :lurk:

C6-XTSY 11-25-2003 12:56 PM

Re: Power Roof?? (HoldHard)

I can almost guarantee that a power hard top will be available down the road. (hey, I said almost guarantee so don't hold me to it :lol:) At least I'm sure the GM brass are thinking about it. They already have most of the tooling done for the XLR. They need to amortize it and the volumes on the XLR are going to be low. Hmmm, what else can we do...use the vette? :)

Personally I think it would be awesome. The absolute best of both worlds. I'm not sure how much weight would be added though; so it might be bad in that regard. Even then, I'm not sure the bad outweighs the benefits (pun intended :lol: )

ndirishr1 11-26-2003 08:31 PM

I would gladly sacrifice the weight for the convenience of a well designed and good looking power top. The already small trunk would be smaller but hey, it couldn't be any worse then my '68 roadster! The hard top is much more attractive in inclement weather and think of it, a convert at the touch of a button. GM is missing the boat if they don't offer one in the future.