CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   how to remove the E-brake handle (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/704350-how-to-remove-the-e-brake-handle.html)

Chuck-75 12-05-2003 09:11 AM

how to remove the E-brake handle

:( how do you remove the emerg. brake handle?, I need to install a new dust cover and dont know if I have to hack the handle off with a machette? :reddevil and get a new handle,or is there a better way. hope someone has the ansewer :lurk: Thanks

markdtn 12-05-2003 10:24 AM

Re: how to remove the E-brake handle (Chuck-75)

If I understand your question, you want to replace the slider seal. You must remove the parking brake console for this. Screws are on the outside bottom in the middle and there is a bolt through the back that must be taken off from the battery/jack compartment. Then you can pull the seal while you pick up the console. Depending on the seats, they may have to come out to access the screws.

rob75383 12-05-2003 07:49 PM

Re: how to remove the E-brake handle (markdtn)

If I understand your question, you want to replace the slider seal.
I agree, I was going to purchase a new slider seal also, but was unable to figure out how to install it.
After removing the console cover as markdtn described, I can see no visible fasteners which retain the black plastic parking brake handle. To get the new slider seal onto the p-brake, you somehow have to remove the black plastic handle from the parking brake lever.

Big Fish 12-05-2003 08:46 PM

Re: how to remove the E-brake handle (Chuck-75)

Guys, the new slider seals are molded with a thin spot that is supposed to be cut (on one side only) to allow it to be installed around the brake handle. :cheers:

Cali,68,L-79 12-06-2003 12:32 AM

Re: how to remove the E-brake handle (Big Fish)

:leaving:

redwingvette 12-06-2003 12:51 PM

Re: how to remove the E-brake handle (Big Fish)

:iagree:
I have replaced mine a couple of times in the past 10 years. Getting to the bolt in the back is a pain and the seats need to come out to get to the screws in the sides. I've tried without taking the seats out and it is imposible to get the screws back in. Pull the brake handle up about 1/4 of the way and the slider will come out the front.Snap the new one around the handle and carefully put it back together.

Pete76Shark 12-07-2003 07:26 PM

Re: how to remove the E-brake handle (redwingvette)

Brian is 100% correct.

I replaced mine, twice. Lesson learned is after you get the new one in make sure the wires between the parking brake handle and the shifter do not interfear with the black plastic slider when the handle is fully forward (parking brake off). The wires are for the power window switches and if they are in the way then the new slider you just installed will not last long before it gets jammed up. Also dont forget to test the power window switches to make sure you installed them correctly, switch up = window up, switch down = window down...

Rock on
:cheers:

[Modified by Pete76Shark, 7:27 PM 12/7/2003]

[Modified by Pete76Shark, 7:28 PM 12/7/2003]

Scotty76 12-29-2011 04:31 PM

Screw in Rear :(

Guys:
REF: 76' e-brake cover....
I had a hard time getting the back section off near the rear deck.

I ripped that mother off to find there is a screw which comes from under the car???

How in the heck do I get to that screw? Do I have to remove the center bucket in the rear deck?

Oh and if you have power windows don't try to make a non-power window cover work, just wasted 30 bucks!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Bubba

redrdstr72 12-30-2011 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Scotty76 (Post 1579595286)
Guys:
REF: 76' e-brake cover....
I had a hard time getting the back section off near the rear deck.

I ripped that mother off to find there is a screw which comes from under the car???

How in the heck do I get to that screw? Do I have to remove the center bucket in the rear deck?

Oh and if you have power windows don't try to make a non-power window cover work, just wasted 30 bucks!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Bubba

Indeed there IS a bolt that secures the rear end of the ebrake console to the rear bulkhead. You need to remove the center storage bin (which requires the removal of the frame work for the storage bins if I remember correctly) to gain access to this bolt. Hopoe this helps.

Alan 71 12-30-2011 09:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
rr72 is close, but the access to the bolt is through the jack compartment.
Once you lift the fiberboard tray out you can see that you an reach along the back side of the metal bulkhead with a 1/4" drive ratchet. I always guess wrong as to the size of the bolt.
Not a bad job after the first time.
Happy New Year!
Regards,
Alan

Here's the hole you'll be feeling for.

Attachment 48174796

mark6669 12-30-2011 05:34 PM

You can remove the bolt from the jack compartment but you have to do it by feel with 1/4 shallow socket its not fun but it can be done.
Mark

Scotty76 12-31-2011 01:53 PM

Thanks to all for the advice.
I cut that damn bolt with the saw-zall on the seat side.

I can reach it through the passenger side removable bucket.
However, not a lot of room to turn the ratchet.

Putting the new one in will be much easier, need to get one of those little hand ratchets (looks like a dial) for the bolt-in.

ken6371 10-16-2014 11:47 PM

E Brake Handle Slider Seal

Thanks zoo much for posting the note about cutting the seal prior to instal. I was racking my brain for days trying to figure out how to get the seal over the handle. Now, my new console looks great. Like many others here, found the thread about the sneaky bolt behind seats on the the rear cargo wall. Thanks al for your tips.

Originally Posted by Big Fish (Post 1545827696)
Guys, the new slider seals are molded with a thin spot that is supposed to be cut (on one side only) to allow it to be installed around the brake handle. :cheers:

venicesteve 02-07-2018 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Big Fish (Post 1545827696)

that is correct cut the slot on new plastic seal and it will be able to open enough to put in new seal

jpattt24 02-28-2018 02:53 PM

anyone know what size that screw is or is it a bolt? in the back of the parking brake console ? mine is missing. thanks

Alan 71 03-01-2018 08:34 AM

Hi jp,
The fastener is a recessed hex head, 1/4"-20 x 1", pointed, bolt.
It has a very small captured washer under the head.
The point helps align the bolt and console since you can't see the bracket in the console when installing the bolt.
Regards,
Alan

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...76e1a60fba.jpg

128racecar 06-21-2020 12:38 PM

Old thread, but having just done this, a quick final reference: You need to use a 3/8" shallow socket on a short 1/4" ratchet for the bolt holding the rear of the console. As Alan said above, access is though the jack compartment behind the passenger seat.

Marc in Indy

bobby70 06-21-2020 10:16 PM

I did mine today, the best way is to take the rear plastic trim off very easy. the doors come with it, slide the whole thing to the back and take your glove box out plus take your glove box light wires apart, then you have plenty of room to get that bolt Out and I have a 1970 and I was able to take the side screws out.no problem.no RUSH