CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   5 Lessons Learned On 1975 Fuel Line Install............ (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/715357-5-lessons-learned-on-1975-fuel-line-install.html)

Paul Borowski 12-23-2003 07:04 AM

5 Lessons Learned On 1975 Fuel Line Install............

Lesson #1-Don't buy the pre-bent lines when leaving the body "on the frame".
Lesson #2-Buy the tubing coil available at NAPA instead(make & bend your own).
Lesson #3-A pre-bent fuel line CAN BE INSTALLED with the body on the frame PROVIDING you're PATIENT and just "inch" the line along.
Lesson #4-Jesus never swore because he never worked on Corvettes.
Lesson #5-Have plenty of small bandages, ointment on hand(my hands are still sorer than a B:TCH.
JMHO, I don't think this can be done on a manual car('68-'79)with the non-removable crossmember(pre-bent line).

groovyjay 12-23-2003 07:15 AM

Re: 5 Lessons Learned On 1975 Fuel Line Install............ (Paul Borowski)

Amen! :yesnod:

redwingvette 12-23-2003 07:16 AM

That must have taken some :smash: and :mad to get that done. I had enough problems with the frame off. :cheers:

Paul Borowski 12-23-2003 07:30 AM

Re: 5 Lessons Learned On 1975 Fuel Line Install............ (redwingvette)

That must have taken some :smash: and :mad to get that done. I had enough problems with the frame off. :cheers:
Yeah, it did. I carefully unbent the lines in a few key places, then bent back as I was feeding it up & over the right dogleg. I also have the car about 2 & 1/2' off the ground on jackstands. Had one clamp I could'nt get on cause the lines went over slightly high and could'nt get them back down near #4 body mount, but I'll live with it. Actually, from what I had to go through to do it, it came out pretty good. Not perfect, but hey for a driver, it'll suffice.

If I knew what I did AFTER doing it, I would've just bought coil of tubing and fed it up and over the dogleg and made my own bends. These lines cost $105 with shipping and at one point I was ready to scrap them, but I slowly and carefully "inched" them along(along with the blood & bruises) :yesnod:

sb69coupe 12-23-2003 09:00 AM

Paul, thanks for posting your experiences with this. As I mentioned in your original post, I need to do a fuel line replacement on my '69 too. Your comment about the difficulties on a manual transmission car have me a bit worried. I guess I should take a real hard look at it in order to see what I'm up against.

A couple quick questions. Did you run the line from front to rear, or rear to front? Also, does your '75 have the smaller diameter fuel vapor return line that runs along side the main fuel line like the '68 and '69 cars?

Thanks,
Shannon

Bobchad 12-23-2003 09:20 AM

Lesson #5-Have plenty of small bandages, ointment on hand(my hands are still sorer than a B:TCH.
Paul,

I went for my yearly physical yesterday. Doctor hears what I am doing with the Vette and next thing you know I'm getting a Tetanus booster. It still hurts.

Bob

Stewart's74 12-23-2003 09:57 AM

Re: 5 Lessons Learned On 1975 Fuel Line Install............ (Bobchad)

I did mine too. Bent my own. It was actually pretty easy, just took patience.
I always laugh when I hear Vette "experts" claim that the body must be removed to install the brake and fuel lines :rolleyes:

BigBadRed 12-23-2003 11:50 AM

Re: 5 Lessons Learned On 1975 Fuel Line Install............ (Stewart's74)

I started doing the bend able fuel line on my 76 for the return fuel line (converted to fi) but got scared when I saw how easily it got scratched and gouged. I used braided line. Not that much more expensive, and it looks cool.

BSeery 12-23-2003 12:10 PM

I just did something similar. I had to snake a whole new line to feed my fuel injection system. I did the aluminum line so it was a bit easier.
But you are right.

Jesus may have never worked on C3's, but I created all sorts of new words that Webster will NEVER put in the book.
Even with a removable crossmember it still would be impossible to do with the body on. you would have to at least undo the mounts on the right side and lift the car a few inches.
Small bandages are for when you have to snake a new speedo cable up behind the dash. Ointment is for when you soak those open cuts in transmission fluid and time to have a beer when you drain a 1/2 gallon of fuel into your eyes, nose, ears, mouth and so on.

carriljc 12-23-2003 12:51 PM

I ran braided hose also...

also tried fabricating some sections. What a pain, spent a couple days on that. Gave up when they leaked.
Ran the braided line in a couple of hours. Too easy.

Paul Borowski 12-23-2003 01:06 PM

Re: 5 Lessons Learned On 1975 Fuel Line Install............ (sb69coupe)

A couple quick questions. Did you run the line from front to rear, or rear to front? Also, does your '75 have the smaller diameter fuel vapor return line that runs along side the main fuel line like the '68 and '69 cars?

Thanks,
Shannon
Shannon, I ran the bigger line first, and yes it does have that smaller line that I believe all C3s had except what the L-88s & LT-1s??? Maybe even 435hp/427??? I actually just have the rear portion run now-the front sections of lines are on not yet in. Just hanging there. Going out right now to drop the trans crossmember, then finish the install of the lines. Also had to run to Sear's to buy a set of "deep offset" wrenches to get at some of those "hard to get to" brake line clip bolts. Yes, went from the bottom of the dogleg TO THE REAR. I again don't think you can do this on a non-removable crossmember car. If I was to do it again, I'd just got that coil of 1/4" and 3/8" steel tubing and made my own bends as I went along doing it in the same order. Feeding it up & over dogleg in rear, then going for the front area where it goes to the fuel pump. :yesnod:

NHvette 12-23-2003 02:23 PM

Thanks for the advice, Paul. Even though my frame is bare, I chose to buy
a few spools of line for this. Luckily, it was on sale at my parts store a few
months back. I got 25 ft of all 4 common diameters. Hell, I might even install
a new vent line, too.

Good luck wrapping it up.

It sounds like the pre-bent lines came in two pieces. Is this right ?
Do they join with a flare coupling ?

ps - Anyone running braided hose or Aluminum (or even steel) should make
sure they have the hose/line firmly secured to the frame. If the hose bounces
around and rubs - you're gonna have a hole someday.

:seeya

mrvette 12-23-2003 02:30 PM

Re: 5 Lessons Learned On 1975 Fuel Line Install............ (Stewart's74)

Stewart, I agree, it's an easy job, compared to some, most even....

GENE :D

Bill Oxley 12-23-2003 03:01 PM

Great post Paul!

My yellow 74 is sucking air from some where, as I can see it in the clear fuel filter up near the carb that I installed temporarily just to check for that issue.

I guess it could be a fuel pump fitting, or somewhere between fuel pump and gas tank.

I've heard some of the horror stories about replacing the fuel line (mine is a 4 speed, so tranny bracket probably fixed, haven't looked yet) all the way back. I'm wondering how many more places there could be an air leak on the way back to the tank. Not looking forward to that "hunt", but I'll find it!

My poor hands are alrealy nicked and bruised from taking the whole darn dash apart to find the problem with the heater. They'll heal eventually, :D

GL!

hermit 12-23-2003 05:29 PM

Re: 5 Lessons Learned On 1975 Fuel Line Install............ (Bill Oxley)

Bill O : Make sure you really have a leak before you drive yourself nuts. Those glass filters always seem to have a bubble of air in them. I don't know how it gets there but I think everyone I've looked at has one. Very baffling.

Paul Borowski 12-23-2003 06:14 PM

Re: 5 Lessons Learned On 1975 Fuel Line Install............ (NHvette)

It sounds like the pre-bent lines came in two pieces. Is this right ?
Do they join with a flare coupling ?
Nope, each line(3/8" feed & 1/4" return)comes as a loooooooooong one piece section. There is no coupling. Just the flared nipple at each end.
Just completed this an hour ago. Also disconnected the transmission lines, removed fuel pump & carb line, disconnected starter-getting closer to yanking the engine and trans sometime after Christmas.

Double Aught 12-24-2003 07:50 PM

:lol:

stingraymax 08-28-2018 04:19 PM

What are the sizes for the different lines going to the engine and back to the tank ?

Feed 3/8
return 5/18 or is it 1/4
And what is the vapor return line on the left hand side of the frame ?