CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   THE 434ci Motor is TOGETHER! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/765129-the-434ci-motor-is-together.html)

LD85 03-01-2004 09:40 AM

Re: THE 434ci Motor is TOGETHER! (Ski2Tee)

Wow, cant wait to see how this puppy runs, I hope your ancillary parts hold up! :thumbs:

ski_dwn_it 03-01-2004 10:13 AM

Re: THE 434ci Motor is TOGETHER! (Ski2Tee)

Ski2Tee.

No its not bad at all. If you do your homework.

Here is the basic process.

(1) get the parts in. Check them all thoughly.

(2)Take the parts to the machine shop. There he should do all the necessary machining. This allow the parts like the pistons and crank to fit.

(3) Mock-up. Take all the parts home and completely mock up the motor. Here is where you want to find the clearance issues. You have to degree the cam in etc. We put one rod on at a time. keeping them ALL seperate and marked so that each one on final assembly goes back in the same hole. Very important - if you need to clearance them, you need to make sure the one that was clearanced for that bore is put back in that one. Once all that is completed, and all the clearancing is completed you know its all going to fit and the machining that was done thus far is correct from your checking of the clearances on the mock-up.

(4) Tear it all back apart and again take it to the machine shop for balancing of the assemble. Slip the guy doing the balancing a $20 dollar bill for some brews that night so he takes extra care.

(5) Then after that is all done. you can do the final assembly like we did this weekend with zero hang ups. :cheers:

loiq 03-01-2004 10:24 AM

Re: THE 434ci Motor is TOGETHER! (ski_dwn_it)

There's nothing finer than doing the initial assembly and having all that plastigauge coming out EXACTLY the same! Makes ya want to :party: right there!

GRX 03-01-2004 02:13 PM

Awesome! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

jburnett 03-01-2004 02:42 PM

Re: THE 434ci Motor is TOGETHER! (GRX)

Looks good Jesse!! I sorta partial to that manifold myself... :D
-Jeb

Beach Bum 03-01-2004 04:28 PM

Re: THE 434ci Motor is TOGETHER! (jburnett)

Looks great Jesse !!! Look forward to racing with you this spring !!

What HP peak have you calculated you might achieve ? At what rpm ?
What TQ peak have you calculated you might achieve ? At what rpm ?
I know you already gave them to me via email, but what were your cam specs ?
What did you finally decide on your converter ? I know you want a non-lock-up, but did you sell your 4200 rpm lock-up ?
With the plenum on the SP, have you guys determined if that effects the rpm capability of the motor ?
I imagine this motor will like more gear than the 3.07's.... any plans for new gears ?

cheers,
Beach Bum

ski_dwn_it 03-02-2004 08:40 AM

Re: THE 434ci Motor is TOGETHER! (Beach Bum)

Looks great Jesse !!! Look forward to racing with you this spring !!
its going to be a blast!

What HP peak have you calculated you might achieve ? At what rpm ?
Beach we should be well high 5K range at most I would think. Max power should be 625-650hp

What TQ peak have you calculated you might achieve ? At what rpm ?
Max torque should be well over 600 ft-lbs based on other setups running lesser Ci motors.

I know you already gave them to me via email, but what were your cam specs ? 284/284 251/251@.050 .620 lift 112lsa

What did you finally decide on your converter ?
I know you want a non-lock-up, but did you sell your 4200 rpm lock-up ?
yeah I still have my 4200 stall vigilante...wanna buy it? I want a non-lockup:) Anyone?

With the plenum on the SP, have you guys determined if that effects the rpm capability of the motor ? remember I ran that exact intake last year. It moved the power band upward, but with the larger cube it should pull it back down. We have changed ALOT of stuff this year and alot is going to need hashed out
I imagine this motor will like more gear than the 3.07's.... any plans for new gears ? I bought a set of 3.45 gears. I am going to try to get them in ASAP. I have a TON of stuff to get sorted out and little or no time.

cheers,
Beach Bum

Beach Bum 03-02-2004 02:57 PM

Interesting combination. I think a lot of people would think your 251/251 solid roller cam would be too rowdy for the street, but actually I think considering your cubes, that cam will have no more driveability problems than a 228/228 hyd roller cam would in a street motor.

I think when you have the kinks worked out and considering those great cylinder heads you guys have.... over 600 HP shouldn't be too difficult at roughly 6000 rpm. Will be interesting to see where the torque peak lands.

I have a 3k converter right now.... its about all my motor wants at this time.... however, if you still have it at the end of the race season. I'll probably be very interested for a new set-up.

later
Beach

bogus 03-02-2004 03:37 PM

That motor looks insane!

The crank throws are MASSIVE!

:cool:

loiq 03-02-2004 05:29 PM

Re: THE 434ci Motor is TOGETHER! (bogus)

ski_dwn_it,

If I remember right you were running 5.7 rods in your 406. What length are the new rods and why did you choose that length? Just curious.

Oh, why didn't you go with 6.0 rods in your 406? Again, just wondering.

:seeya

JUAN J SANCHEZ 03-02-2004 07:19 PM

Re: THE 434ci Motor is TOGETHER! (loiq)

:thumbs: Can't wait to see how it runs! Good work! Good Luck! Intake looks much better on the engine ! :thumbs:

CORKVETTE1 03-02-2004 07:31 PM

Re: THE 434ci Motor is TOGETHER! (loiq)

ski_dwn_it,

If I remember right you were running 5.7 rods in your 406. What length are the new rods and why did you choose that length? Just curious.

Oh, why didn't you go with 6.0 rods in your 406? Again, just wondering.

:seeya

i can awnswear this for you the 5.7 in the 406 is about the same rod stroke ratio as the 6 inch on the 4 inch stroke
alot of people like the real long rod to stroke ratio for a couple of reasons
1 less rod load on the outside of the wall which is true
2 more higher hp numbers true
here is my reason on the little shorter rod
1 shorter rod = more torque and hp at a more useable rpm which in this case would be under 6000 rpm
2 shorter rod stroke ratio = faster piston accelleration which helps in pulling the piston away from tdc sooner which aids in preventing detonation
hope this awnswears your questions :cheers:

LD85 03-02-2004 07:35 PM

Re: THE 434ci Motor is TOGETHER! (CORKVETTE1)

and the rings are positioned a little better, andI think ticker sometimes, I think mine are 5/64's

quiksilver458 03-02-2004 07:41 PM

Re: THE 434ci Motor is TOGETHER! (Bowtie8)

she purty!!! awesome job jesse!! some day I will follow your footsteps :jester

loiq 03-02-2004 08:17 PM

Re: THE 434ci Motor is TOGETHER! (quiksilver458)

Thanks CORKVETTE, that makes sense.

JAKE 03-02-2004 08:22 PM

Re: THE 434ci Motor is TOGETHER! (quiksilver458)

Glad you didn't have to go through the nightmare that I did.

Just a few questions since I went through the same thing last year.

What provisions have you made to add oil? I used CompCams valve covers with the internal oiling provision that sprays oil on the springs as the engine runs. Had to have them drilled for breather provisions. Also, had to have the rear of the odd side notched to clear the windshield wiper motor.

What crankcase breather setup are you going to use?

Do you have a photo of how well the pushrod alignment is between the rocker cup and the lifter? I used a Jesel shaft setup and had major off-set problems; ended up having to use offset rockers and offset lifters.

The 6" Carrillos I used called for a small base circle camshaft and notching the BowTie block.

Looks great.

Jake

Hole-Shot 03-02-2004 09:57 PM

Looking real good! :thumbs:

TheStef 03-03-2004 11:23 AM

Re: THE 434ci Motor is TOGETHER! (Hole-Shot)

Hey Jess,

No body answered your question about chroming your custom plenum

I would says yes if the valve covers are also chromed.

JAKE 03-03-2004 12:38 PM

Re: THE 434ci Motor is TOGETHER! (TheStef)

Hey Jess,

No body answered your question about chroming your custom plenum

I would says yes if the valve covers are also chromed.

Guess he's too busy to answer any more questions right now.

Jake

BlackIce86 03-03-2004 01:50 PM

Re: THE 434ci Motor is TOGETHER! (CORKVETTE1)

ski_dwn_it,

i can awnswear this for you the 5.7 in the 406 is about the same rod stroke ratio as the 6 inch on the 4 inch stroke
alot of people like the real long rod to stroke ratio for a couple of reasons
1 less rod load on the outside of the wall which is true
2 more higher hp numbers true
here is my reason on the little shorter rod
1 shorter rod = more torque and hp at a more useable rpm which in this case would be under 6000 rpm
2 shorter rod stroke ratio = faster piston accelleration which helps in pulling the piston away from tdc sooner which aids in preventing detonation
hope this awnswears your questions :cheers:
You could add another plus for the short rod.
3. short rod = more dwell time near BDC, which increases DCR and provides more torque.

I think your going to have a interesting and great combo Ski.