CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/770967-my-front-wheels-are-way-out-of-aligment-please-help.html)

killervette666 03-07-2004 08:38 PM

My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!!

Today i decided to go down to the garage and roll it around the block since its been sitting for the past two months (i know i shouldve placed it on bricks, and turned the wheels every now and then but i didnt......) so we roll it out and i notice the front tires, especially the left are GROSSLY out of aligment, for some odd reason they have insane negative camber and seem to point in, we were thinkin that rolling it around might bring it back but that didnt seem to work... Does anyone know what could've caused this or how to fix it????? :cry :confused:

page62 03-08-2004 10:19 AM

Re: My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!! (killervette666)

Did your a-arm bushings give up the ghost? :smash:

stingraymax 03-08-2004 10:24 AM

Re: My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!! (page62)

Check your frame, I had the same thing and we noticed the frame at the A arms broke.

verskel 03-08-2004 10:58 AM

Re: My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!! (killervette666)

Whoa ! :eek: ....something has definitely shifted.

Check everything around the A-arms.....bushings, shafts, coils, missing shims. ;)

Jay M 03-08-2004 11:26 AM

Re: My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!! (verskel)

hmmm I think the same thing has happened to my car!!

I hope nothing broke, I can't afford any more major repairs.

~Jay

joeveto 03-08-2004 09:57 PM

Not to overstate the obvious, but there is something seriously out of whack. That's not normal. I always store my cars on the tires, as is. And knock on wood, they steer and drive as normal.

I hope it's not too serious.

killervette666 03-09-2004 07:56 PM

Re: My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!! (joeveto)

Could this be because we took off a LOT of stuff, such as front body clip, fender skirts, bumper assembly, etc. that the spring is not being pushed down enough to keep the wheels centered?????

killervette666 03-09-2004 08:30 PM

PLEASE ANYONE?????? :confused:

Ben's75 03-10-2004 06:28 PM

my guess is same as page62 - your control arm (A-arm) bushings have worn out. My car did the exact same thing. I was trying to align it out with my grandfather, and we'd align it on the driveway, go drive it, and when we got back the alignment would be completely, DRASTICALLY off. Replace your bushings! Made a world of difference on mine. It's amazing how much more fun it is to drive in a straight line (at least, when you WANT to).

Ben

killervette666 03-10-2004 07:57 PM

Re: My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!! (Ben's75)

How do you replace them? Was it difficult? Ill have to check it out because the previous owner rebuilt the whole front end only a year ago, but i guess that could've happend. Thanks for the response, i appreciate it :thumbs:

flood 03-10-2004 08:06 PM

you have to take apart the front wheel spindle and release the spring to get the a-arms off to replace the busyhings. Its what im looking at doing here in the near future. My alighment is off quite a bit. if you look at the front of the car it looks like /-\ Not that drastic of an angle , but you get the point. Plus it wanders quite a bit on the roads. Also the inside of the tire wears out WAY before the outside. :cheers:

killervette666 03-11-2004 10:28 PM

Re: My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!! (flood)

thanks for the info, my tires are opposite though, they're \ /....... Going to go down to the garage on saturday and check out what happend :leaving:

lars 03-11-2004 10:36 PM

killer -
You don't have a problem. If you have removed the front clip and pulled a bunch of weight off the front end, the camber will go way out of whack. Put all the weight back on the front and roll the car back and forth. Only with the full weight of all the components on the front end can you determine if you have an alignment problem.

killervette666 03-11-2004 11:08 PM

Re: My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!! (lars)

Thats what i was thinking, because the forntend was freshly rebuilt less than a year ago, but i wont be able to put all the weight back on for a little while more, since we need to wait till we get the body clip, bumper, etc..... If we drive a couple of miles to a bodyshop close by the garage will any damage occur?
Thanks for the reply guys :thumbs:

'79ProwlerOrange 03-12-2004 08:13 AM

have a couple people stand on part of the frame up front. if it goes normal, you know thats the culprit :D :thumbs: