CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Supertrap for Sidepipes? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/784209-supertrap-for-sidepipes.html)

BB wowbagger 03-25-2004 01:25 PM

Supertrap for Sidepipes?

Does anyone know if theres a possibility to use Supertrapmufflers with Sidepipes? :smash: :cheers:

ram82fire 03-25-2004 01:41 PM

Re: Supertrap for Sidepipes? (BB wowbagger)

BBG it can be done , like most anything else a little ingenuity goes a loooo ng way . I am surprised you donot see more members using them here . I have run them on a number of different applications and a real appreciation for the tunable feature . They are commonly used here for dirt car racing where noise is a factor at certain tracks . If you run an 800+hp sprinter or dirt car with them they will certainly do the job on a vette . I am installing a set on my car later this spring ,,,,,,,,,,

geo

BB wowbagger 03-25-2004 01:49 PM

The Question is just if theres a system that would work if you install the inside the tube.I dont want them to be visable.. :cheers:

GDaina 03-25-2004 02:09 PM

as long as you can get 4" diameter Traps, and find a way to secure then in the pipes, maybe in the collectors, you're in business.

I'm wondering why invent the wheel? Why not use spirals? About as efficient as you can get

BB wowbagger 03-25-2004 02:46 PM

I`ve used a homemade version of the spirals and the Inspection guys would laugh me out of the building if i would show up with them on my vette.I need something just a little bit more quit but dont rob me out of to much power.. :crazy: :smash:

ram82fire 03-25-2004 02:54 PM

It would not be a real problem to fit them inside a 4 inch tube , machine some billet aluminum inserts to support the super trapp ,,,,,,,,,pretty simple operation !!!

geo

Chuck Harmon 03-25-2004 03:48 PM

The problem is that the supertraps need to direct the exhaust out the slits in the side. If you put them inside a tube, the flow will only be whatever the area is between the supertrap discs and the inside of the tube. So unless you go with a 5" tube it would probably be very restrictive.

For official testing purposes you could take the JCL spiral baffles, truly the best, and using an additional end cap, perhaps the one tac welded to the engine side, tac weld it to a 3.75" round disc and attact it to the back of the baffle. This would greatly reduce the sound, look permanent, and get you past the inspectors. Go back home, remove the plate and make some real power.

Chuck

aharte 03-25-2004 05:18 PM

Re: Supertrap for Sidepipes? (Chuck Harmon)

The problem is that the supertraps need to direct the exhaust out the slits in the side.
There are open end caps available. I have them on my car, but I imagine they wouldn't flow too well without the slits also open.

And supertrapps are quiet!?