CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Anyone with a 700r4 run a deep transmission pan? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/784936-anyone-with-a-700r4-run-a-deep-transmission-pan.html)

The Money Pit 03-26-2004 12:02 PM

Anyone with a 700r4 run a deep transmission pan?

I finally got my 700r4 rebuilt,and knock on wood,so far so good.I am taking it easy on this one,but the otherday I couldn't resist and ran the tach up to 5000 in second. For a few seconds I thaught I blew this one as the car lost power and I let off the gas and coasted while I shifted into neutral,then back into OD/drive.I suspect under high G's and a few rpms the transmission pump is sucking air,losing it's prime and that's exactly what happened with the last transmission,except I was turning 6500 rpms when that went kaboom.

Anyway I thaught running a deep pan would help prevent pump starvation if that's what's happening,and though ground clearance needs concideration,would this be worth a try?Anyone?

8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE 03-26-2004 12:19 PM

Re: Anyone with a 700r4 run a deep transmission pan? (The Money Pit)

I'm using the "durale" (not sure if I spelled correctly) deep pan with the hollow tubes. My car is slammed as low as I can go.
The pan touches only on high speed bumps if I don't take em at an angle.
I would recommend the deep steel pan verses the aluminum.
Steel will dent a little when it touches....Aluminum will crack and leak.
:cheers:

LOTAHP 03-26-2004 12:37 PM

Re: Anyone with a 700r4 run a deep transmission pan? (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

STEF'S Fabrication Specialties. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

gkull 03-26-2004 01:06 PM

Re: Anyone with a 700r4 run a deep transmission pan? (lotahp)

Cappy is right about steel. I have the Art Carr cast aluminum. it holds another 1/2 gallon over the stock pan and it's good point is the magnetic drain plug.

It's still higher than my header collector flanges

LiveandLetDrive 03-26-2004 04:30 PM

Re: Anyone with a 700r4 run a deep transmission pan? (gkull)

Are there high capacity pans that are wide rather than deep? Like you see with oilpans. Or would that have to be custom made?

-Chris

Red73 03-26-2004 05:46 PM

Re: Anyone with a 700r4 run a deep transmission pan? (RUXperienced)

Here is a picture of the Derale pan that Cappy talked about.
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/red...tranny_pan.jpg

turtlevette 03-26-2004 08:26 PM

.I suspect under high G's and a few rpms the transmission pump is sucking air,losing it's prime and that's exactly what happened with the last transmission,except I was turning 6500 rpms when that went kaboom.
no offense but your car can't be that fast. Something must be wrong. Otherwise everyone would lose prime when climbing steep grades. You have something going on in your tranny and your gonna blow it again deep pan or no. Take it back to the shop that rebuilt it and make them take a look.

Armstrong 03-26-2004 09:07 PM

I have heard that at high RPM the regular 10 Vane pump can't keep up and if you are going to run High RPM's alot to use the aftermarket 13 vane pump.
I am by no means a tranny GURU but have been doing a little research as i just bought a 700R4 for a 100$ in hopes that i can rebuild it to take the punishment that your dishing out with your 400 SB.
You have achieved what i hope to in the future.

8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE 03-26-2004 09:54 PM

Re: Anyone with a 700r4 run a deep transmission pan? (Red73)

Red73,
That is the most sanitary undercarriage I've ever seen on a Vette. :thumbs:
Do you ever have oil leaks?
I don't have major oil leaks....but little ones that dirty up the underside of my car everytime I nail it.....I think it's coming out from around the valve cover breathers.
:cheers: