CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   cleaning valve covers (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/793780-cleaning-valve-covers.html)

noblejr 04-07-2004 02:34 PM

cleaning valve covers

Does anyone have tips for clening up my valve covers? I'm wondering how much they are supposed to shine. Right now they are spotted and dull and I'd like to bring them back to an original look.

http://content.madirect.com/img300/604673.jpg

Thanks

stingry 04-07-2004 03:08 PM

Re: cleaning valve covers (noblejr)

I have seen professional polishers do great jobs on those covers. They seem to be a little porous to me.

I bought a set in late december and had mine Powder Coated in Silver. They look great and I never have to polish thme. Not stock looking but nice and clean and no maintenance!

Paul L 04-07-2004 03:09 PM

They are an unfinished aluminum alloy. And some oxidation (dullness) is normal.

sb69coupe 04-07-2004 03:55 PM

I see from your profile that the car is a '77. The covers should be polished, and I imagine that any aluminum wheel polish would do the trick.

Shannon

3joh 04-07-2004 04:02 PM

I am looking at doing the same polishing. What type of clear is available for protection after polishing?

Jeff

Jim Stewart 04-07-2004 04:14 PM

I have the same valve covers on my engine. I have used several different products and they still don't shine to my satisfaction. Next step is to try a polishing wheel and compound.

GATOR454 04-07-2004 04:24 PM

I would start with a Fine/medium or coarse Nyalox cup brush they are made by Dico and can be purchased at ACE hardware. They are like wire brushes but are less aggressive. Then I would finish up with a polishing wheel and a compond for aluminum.

noblejr 04-08-2004 02:57 PM

I've started cleaning them and I can get the oxidation off with a rag and some elbow grease. I've used Mothers Billet polish with a wheel and it is brightening up nicelyl. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post a picture of both when I get one completed.

LFZ 04-08-2004 03:28 PM

send them off and have them chromed...they look awesome for sure then

KenSny 04-08-2004 09:38 PM

Re: cleaning valve covers (GATOR454)

I used a FINE wire Brass cup brush to bring up the shine. Then I finished it off with a buffing of aluminum rouge. No clear or anything else applied. I don't like the way covers look after awhile that have had clear applied - it turns yellow. From the looks of mine after a year I'll probalby just give them a quick hand cleaning and rub this year as they still show a lot of shine.

noblejr 04-11-2004 11:52 PM

I can't seem to get the plastic pcv and egr fittings off. Do they turn? I can't seem to get them to budge, but I'm also being careful not to break them.

69stingray 04-12-2004 08:40 PM

Simple Green works great from removing the oil and other engine residue. Then the brass brush to remove oxidation followed by polish. Can't think of the name of the polish, can picture the tube, it is Silver if I recall.

noblejr 04-13-2004 12:20 AM

Does anybody have tips for getting the plastic fittings off the valve covers?

PureSilver 04-13-2004 12:54 PM

Re: cleaning valve covers (3joh)

POR-15 makes a clear for that (or aluminum wheels, for that matter). I have no direct experience with the clear, but used the regular stuff on my frame. (And my hands...read the instructions- it WON'T come off with anything but time...)

Solid LT1 04-13-2004 02:52 PM

Re: cleaning valve covers (PureSilver)

These valve covers ARE NOT POLISHED from the factory. Later sets have some electro chemical process to them to make them more polished in appearance. I don't know about later cars but the 70-72 LT-1 and early L-82 cars do NOT have polished covers from the factory. You can use mag wheel cleaner and fine grade Scothbrite pads to recover them to factory looks.

Avette4me 04-13-2004 03:38 PM

Does anybody have tips for getting the plastic fittings off the valve covers?
Those are actually supposed to be rubber - tear 'em out - go to the local parts store and get replacements.. :cheers:

noir76 04-13-2004 03:49 PM

Use a bench or drill type cloth buffering wheel and polishing compound. You should be able to find these at an ACE hardware store, SEARS. or the like. The polishing compounds come in a solid bar form in 4 grits(Emery for heavy cutting, Tripoli for buffing, Red Rouge for polishing, and White Rouge for final high gloss). I normally use just the red and white. Use a Dremel tool with polihing pad and compound to get between the fins. Trust me. Mine look chrome plated! Do use sand paper or sleel/bronze pads. You'll regret it. :chevy

noir76 04-13-2004 03:51 PM

Re: cleaning valve covers (noir76)

I meant to say DO NOT use sand paper or steel/bronze pads! :banghead:

70L46Conv4Sp 04-13-2004 04:34 PM

Re: cleaning valve covers (noir76)

I'm pretty experienced at polishing aluminum & stainless but the valve covers on my L46 were too much and I have an 8" bench polisher. I used several different polishing rouges and then tried Mother's and Eagle One. It is a bigger job than you think. I took mine to a polishing shop that charged $45 for the pair w/o polishing between the fins and $75 w/fins. They look chrome and they told me just to hit them with a little Mother's occasionally. I'll post a picture if someone will give me a quick class on posting pics. Ididn't want mine to look so shiny at first but after seeing the result I'm glad they do look that way. I believe when the car was new they were a little duller. But that was a long time ago and my memory is fading fast.

Avette4me 04-13-2004 04:45 PM

Re: cleaning valve covers (70L46Conv4Sp)

the quick pic posting lesson..

1. get a web based host (photohost.org, for example)
2. load your pic there.
3. Open the pic and right click on it.
4. copy the url of the pic.
5. click on the Image icon
6. paste the url you copied between the image things that come up [IMG] - there will be two of them

:cheers:

[Modified by Avette4me, 3:48 PM 4/13/2004]