CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   How long do your plugs last (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/800369-how-long-do-your-plugs-last.html)

Gordonm 04-16-2004 08:10 PM

How long do your plugs last

My last set went about 2000 miles. They were about 3 years old but only 2000 miles. I was out driving today and got a little stutter while cruising. The same indication that happened last time. These also have around 2000 miles and are about 2 years old. I have a Crane HI6 so I have plenty of fire power they just seem to go away. They seem OK on light acceleration (roads did not allow to really get on it. Just cruising I have a slight stutter. Off to the store for some plugs tomorrow.

norvalwilhelm 04-16-2004 08:57 PM

Re: How long do your plugs last (Gordonm)

On my blown bigblock I am on the same plugs for 4 years and they still look good. Plug should not wear out that quickly. Properly jetted your plugs should still look new, Mine do after 4 years,

LiveandLetDrive 04-16-2004 09:17 PM

Re: How long do your plugs last (norvalwilhelm)

I have over 20k and about 2 years on mine and they are in fine condition. Lightly browned and hold a gap very well. That is definitely excessive wear. What exactly did the bad ones look like when you removed them the last time?

-Chris

triadecho 04-16-2004 09:35 PM

Do they look normal?

Take a look at "Reading Spark Plugs" with a web search and find some picturtes. Denso has a good bunch with reasons why they look the way they do.

Solid LT1 04-16-2004 10:06 PM

Re: How long do your plugs last (triadecho)

My LT-1 is pretty radical and I have 10K miles on my Autolites but recently changed to A/C Rapidfires because I was feeling guilty about how long they have been in there. I have a Petronix Ignitor triggering a Accel 300+ digital ignition (like it much better than the MSD it is way less voltage sensitive than the MSD!) You need to have a proper idle mixture and lower end fuel curve for good plug life, it is possible!

Ironcross 04-16-2004 10:24 PM

Try a hotter spark plug if everything else is ok. :cheers:

Gordonm 04-17-2004 10:42 AM

Re: How long do your plugs last (Ironcross)

Plugs look perfect. Looked good on the previous set also. I don't understand it. I'll have to check into more later when I get a chance.

[Modified by Gordonm, 6:12 PM 4/18/2004]

Gordonm 04-18-2004 06:13 PM

Was not the plugs after all. Bad power valve was loading up at idle and to rich while cruising. Much better now.

Paul L 04-18-2004 08:00 PM

About 25,000 miles. Assuming a car is stock and does not have add-on do-dadds that do not really contribute to performance.